BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2012 9:46 pm  #1

Daily Mail: A Vulture named Sherlock

German police force replaces sniffer dog with VULTURE named Sherlock to scent out dead bodies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279070/German-police-replace-sniffer-dogs-VULTURES-hunt-dead-bodies.html

(I think we need a section for "Random Sherlock Holmes related news")

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 11, 2012 9:08 am  #2

Re: Daily Mail: A Vulture named Sherlock

A turkey buzzard called Sherlock. Very useful. I can just imagine a whole squadron of them!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 11, 2012 11:04 am  #3

Might be difficult with the teamwork, however. Not Sherlock's division. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 20, 2012 5:38 am  #4

Oh  what a beautiful bird!!   His  handler's  good looking  too.   They  said  they  might have better luck  with a trio of scavenger birds.   I  can  just  see it!!   Sherlock,   Dr  Watson,  and Mrs. Hudson!!   Indeed,  if it  works  in Germany,  it  might work  in  the USA  too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 20, 2012 6:13 am  #5

God I've wanted to learn raptor handling since I was a kid and read a book called about a boy and his Kestrel (called, imaginatively, Kes, iirc). I don't think we legally can have raptors in Australia though

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 20, 2012 5:40 pm  #6

A small claim to fame is that when I was at University, many moons ago, we had a lecture from the author of Kes, Barry Hines. It was also made into a film.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 5, 2012 9:36 pm  #7

Kes is an extremely popular book in schools here in England.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 11, 2012 3:03 pm  #8

That's... a slight bit disturbing, on the surface of it. Vultures are not a rare sight around here, and they're used as a warning of doom in shows - they're said to spot those near death and follow them. Think of it... a harbinger of doom sent out to find your body once you're dead...

That said, I'm an animal lover, and that includes the ugly, the doom-harbingers, the creepy, etc. I appreciate a not-well-reputed animal having a "good" purpose, showing intelligence and skill.

Board footera