BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2012 7:43 am  #41

Re: Damned hot Cumberbatch

Davina wrote:

Veecee the thing we Brits do with two fingers (not me of course, you understand) means F...Off! The back of the fingers have to face away from you and you use your index and middle finger with your thumb sticking up between them. Origin...the wars against the French in the Middle Ages. If an English archer (longbowman) was captured his two string pulling fingers were cut off so that he could not pull a bowstring again. So, when in battle the English archers took to sticking two fingers up at the French, just to show them that fingers were intact. An aside here is that it was mandatory for all boys to be trained in the use of the longbow (except the nobility) from the age of about 7, I think. Robert Hardy, the well-known English actor (Churchill, All Creatures Great and Small) is also a world authority on the long-bow and has written books on the subject. Wen Sir Winston Churchill made the famous V for Victory sign during WW2 he was careful to get his fingers the right way round...could have been embarrassing.

Finally, and rather sadly, this gesture is being superseded by the American middle finger up gesture. Seems weird but I think that is rather a pity.

That's so interesting, Davina, thank you very much. It reminded me of Ken Branagh's Henry V film I've always loved.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 7, 2012 8:46 am  #42

SusiGo wrote:

Yeah, I only meant his looks are nice, not the masses of hysterical fans hassling him. That can't be nice at all and I think he never expected something like this to happen. Hopefully it won't keep him from doing Sherlock because without this show I suppose it wouldn't have happened in such a big way. Poor guy (stroking his curls, comforting him towards a nice little café, ordering black with two sugars …)

Exactly my thoughts while watching the clip....
I really hope he can manage (and enjoy) this and will go on with Sherlock.

Have to think of Alan Rickman again who probably noticed some changes after playing Snape. That was the point he really became famous worldwide and had to handle all those screaming girlies. Well, and he went on filming.. 
I think all of our famous actors had this experience once in their life...?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 7, 2012 8:56 am  #43

Yes, I think so. Maybe it will get back to a normal degree of admiration after some time or if someone new comes up. So that he can just continue his work and make us happy with it.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 7, 2012 10:55 am  #44

Susi, see if you can get hold of the Laurence Olivier version of Henry V as well. Wonderful film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 7, 2012 11:42 am  #45

I've got both films but I must admit that I prefer the modern one. Of course the Olivier film was made out of the spirit of WW II and it's interesting how they use the bright colours from the book of hours. I watched both and read about them because a long time ago I started to write my thesis on them (which I never finished). But then I've always liked Ken Branagh. That reminds I'll still have to watch series 2 of Wallander 

One of my absolute favourites of classic British film is "Odd man out" with James Mason.

Last edited by SusiGo (July 7, 2012 11:45 am)

July 7, 2012 6:50 pm  #46

Thanks for the explanation of the "two-finger salute." Is it considered to be as vulgar as the one-finger here? I think I've even seen two fingers on Britcoms. I don't think I've ever seen the finger in an American sitcom unless it was blurred out. Maybe in an out-there cable show, but I don't remember seing it. Of course, it could show up in a movie on TV, depending on the channel.

As for Kenneth Branaugh, I enjoyed Henry V, and his Hamlet is one of my favorite movies -- all four hours or whatever of it.

We thought Wallander was starting up again last week, but instead we got a Morse prequel, which is to be followed by some Lewis. These are fine of course, especially since we made it to Oxford our last time in England. So fun to recognize places you've been.

Would love to see BC do Shakespeare.That voice! In that respect, he may be the next Patrick Stewart.

July 7, 2012 8:15 pm  #47

I'll never forget the summer evening when I went with my mother to watch "Hamlet". It was one of the hottest days of the year and they told us at the box office that we should go in and see if we really wanted to spend four hours in this heat. I told my mother that there was a lot of snow in the film and we could imagine to be cool. We sat there, not moving, sweating from all pores and imagining ourselves in snowy Denmark. But I loved every minute of it.

Strangely I don't like reading the Wallander novels and I didn't watch the Swedish films but I really like Kenneth Branagh so I bought the DVDs. Personally I find the stories extremely depressing but he's excellent in the role. And he has a very fine voice - a tenor to Ben's baritone (I guess).

Last edited by SusiGo (July 7, 2012 8:17 pm)

July 8, 2012 2:53 pm  #48

I enjoyed both the Swedish originals of Wallender and the UK versions. I like them both...a lot! And yes the two fingered salute is really rude...which is why I knew even from the still photo that Jeremy Jahns is not a Brit! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera