BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2012 8:30 pm  #1

Smaller Signatures: Please Vote!

Hello there...

This is in response to a recent request in the Technical Problems thread, a suggestion that we could have a size limit on the pictures members have in their signatures.

If this were brought into place, the members whose current signatures pics are too big would have to either change them for something else, or make them smaller. I can easily go in and set a limit, not sure what would happen to the people who were over...whether their signatures would automatically get deleted or something?

If this gets voted through, I'll decide on a suitable size (perhaps I can have some suggestions), then the people who are over that size will be contacted and given time to adjust their signatures before I "pass the law" so to speak.

So anyway, here is the poll question and voting:

Would you support a size limit on signatures?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 1, 2012 10:34 pm  #2

Re: Smaller Signatures: Please Vote!

Most probably the pictures will be scaled to size by code then, so they will stay intact but appear out of shape until they are changed by their owners.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 1, 2012 10:37 pm  #3

IMO especially the moving ones are distracting and annoying. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 1, 2012 10:49 pm  #4

"Intense flashing/pulsing light of various frequencies can trigger epileptic seizures in people who suffer from photosensitive epilepsy."
Wikipedia, Stroboscope

But stay calm: Wikipedia, Photosensitive epilepsy
"The World Wide Web Consortium - Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Version 2.0, produced in 2008, specifies that content should not flash more than 3 times in any 1 second period. However it does allow flashing above this rate if the flashing is below the "general and red flashing thresholds"."

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 5, 2012 9:19 pm  #5

Mattlocked wrote:

You have a moving one!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 5, 2012 9:22 pm  #6

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

You have a moving one!!

Well observed!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 5, 2012 10:07 pm  #7

Mattlocked wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

You have a moving one!!

Well observed!

Yeah well...they don't call me Sherlock Holmes for nothing, y'know. 

November 16, 2012 10:59 pm  #8

Well, if we're talking distracting, none of us should have any pictures of Ben either...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 16, 2012 11:04 pm  #9

Sob.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 16, 2012 11:04 pm  #10

I find Ben's and Andrew's pictures terribly distracting. And annoying. And awful. And bla-di-bla-di-bla...

Anyway, it's true some of them are a little too big. I think it wouldn't hurt to make them a bit smaller. But this is because my netbook screen is really small and I have to scroll and scroll and scroll to pass from a message to the next one. And imagine that, seeing that Cumberbatch guy aaaaaaall the time...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

November 17, 2012 12:35 am  #11

I would totally support that.
Mattlocked's signature gif is quite okay but it shouldn't be much bigger than this in my opinion.

November 17, 2012 1:36 am  #12

Sometimes it's hard for me to find the actual message in a post because the quotation/photo/gif is so large, especially if the message itself is only a few words or a single line long.  For that reason, I support having a limit on how big the signature section of a post can be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

November 17, 2012 7:32 am  #13

I think standard sig banner size is about 100 x 450 or 50 x 300

Any image/gif can be resized to fit within those parameters

I'm not sure if this forum would be able to police that though given the images have to be hosted elsewhere, and the sizing BBCode code hasn't been implemented here

Last edited by Wholocked (November 17, 2012 7:34 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 17, 2012 8:39 am  #14

It would also seem nicer to happen by  consent, rather than police enforced!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 17, 2012 10:36 am  #15

I don't mind my signature being smaller just so long as someone does that for me because I don't know how and we went through hell & high water to get it down to the size it is now anyway.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 17, 2012 11:04 am  #16

I think it's perfectly fine and I enjoy looking at it.

November 17, 2012 12:52 pm  #17

So do I. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 18, 2012 11:56 pm  #18

yes  davina  your siggy  is  fine now,  since I don't have to scroll from left to right, AT ALL,  to see the messages  left  by  others.  (Just up and down,  which is fine) 

But  yeah---500 (W) X  600 (H)  pixels   is  usually  the highest  size  on  any  forum. This size  prevents  the users  from haviing to scroll too far left to right.    On  all message boards I've been on,   it's up  to the owners  to   size  it.   Photobucket.com   and  lunapic.com  have EXCELLENT   resizing  features,   and  tinyurl   or  tinypic  (hosting sites)   MIGHT  have them too. 

If any need help resizing pics,  I'm  happy to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 19, 2012 7:41 pm  #19

Oh lord! I've tried to reduce the size of my signature and DISASTER! Now I just have a little blue square with a question mark in it! I am a very sad gal right now! 

November 19, 2012 7:50 pm  #20

Awww...what happened? What did you do?

Board footera