BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2012 2:49 pm  #21

Re: Mind palace scene

Joe Riggs wrote:

I think I forgot something...

Scratch that, found it.  ;-)

Did you find it in your mind palace? hehehe. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 19, 2012 7:56 pm  #22

And breathe.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2012 11:00 pm  #23

;-) Stimulating board.

May 20, 2012 5:26 am  #24

I'll keep it short to save another dissection, please do not value my opinion as you are not privvy to the majority of it and the small part you have seen seems to have been misinterpreted somewhat.

People process thoughts in many different ways. My way has served me very well & I see no value in other ways & this is what I have stated.
I'll leave it at that. Those who observe will see where my disdain comes from.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 5:49 am  #25

Also Joe,

This isn't the Florida audience and so acting (And that all is that it is) hurt doesn't make you so - so stop acting as if it is.

The bigger world outside of the the US  (Which is HUGE) and is a lot harsher, never gives up - seriously.

Perhaps travel some to understand the global audience.

Again, in inference to my earlier advice, try to grab cultural nuances and work with them to your advantage.

Currently you seem to be on the backfoot with regards to non-US sentiment and it looks bad for you.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2012 11:16 am  #26

Actually I travel the globe extremely often, the issues I addressed were direct.  This was not a cultural or geographical issue.

And an no point in time was I hurt, is that a serious remark?

Also didn't realize this was a 'non-US sentiment' situation. How terribly sorry I am for being located in South Florida. My apologies hopefully accepted by the superior 'bigger' world.

I addressed very specific statements in a very organized way. I didn't realize I wasn't suppose to respond to such statements. Or would be chastised for doing so, especially in the way I did so.

My last words were in fact 'stimulating board' and a happy face.

I'm beginning to see a trend however every time I post on this site.

This won't be an issue again.

May 20, 2012 11:39 am  #27

My way has served me very well & I see no value in other ways

I really do not even have words to describe an outlook such as that.

That truly does require a dizzying intellect.

May 20, 2012 11:48 am  #28

Ok look, you just don't get it do you?

For me personally, I have checked your links, your facebook, etc etc.
To me, you are bandwagonning.
There was no mention of Sherlock Holmes prior to the revival of all things Canon. In fact there's nothing posted before that time about you anywhere. You were simply a 'mentalist like Simon Baker's character except you don't solve crimes, you baffle people' or some such. The Mentalist path served you well but then along came Holmes & suddenly you've attached yourself to all things ACD.

I don't buy it. Pure & simple. And either you write for Wiki or they wrote for you in your 'blogs' etc. Either way, I don't care which it is.
All you are doing is trying to use Sherlock as a way of generating more publicity for yourself.

And that to me is insulting.
End of story, no further words from me will enter this page.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 12:09 pm  #29

There was no mention of Sherlock Holmes prior to the revival of all things Canon. In fact there's nothing posted before that time about you anywhere.

There is a plethora of information about me on the web posted 'before' that time, you would know...

Considering the VERY article you JUST cited, was published over a YEAR BEFORE "Sherlock BBC" how is that even a valid statement in ANY logical way. That entire statement just broke apart.

I have already addressed this very accusation. Yet it seems I need to do so again...

While the success of BBCs Sherlock and the Sherlock Mania have certainly been exciting for me, Sherlock Holmes is nothing new to me. I've had that name used to describe what I do and be attached to me since the first newspaper interviewed me in 1997.

I love the success of Sherlock, I love the millions of new Sherlock Holmes fans around the world. However I am just not one of them. I am a 'new' fan of 'Sherlock BBC' but not Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes has been my lifelong inspiration and I do not think I have did one single interview in the past 10 years that I didn't spend most of my time using him as an example. Again your research goes back about 2 years dating back to the DFW article you cited yet failed to finish.

IF you had READ that ENTIRE article that was released FAR before BBC's "Sherlock" you would in fact go on to read myself talking about, and using... 'Sherlock Holmes' as an example of using the five physical senses to accomplish amazing feats and denouncing those that pretend to have a sixth, it was fun article. But I digress...

Seriously, stop accusing me of this 'new-found' Sherlock Holmes 'branding' or 'piggybacking.'

The BBC's Sherlock has thrilled me to the CORE.  I've talked about Sherlock more than EVER lately, even on my blog. Hasn't EVERYONE?  Most Sherlockians?   So yes you will find myself talking more 'Sherlock than ever before' the past few months. 

Shoot me, It's been exciting to see and experience the brilliant resurrection of my lifelong obsession.  Please, just lay this to rest, or do the research necessary to be able to. 

I came here because I consider the BBC's Sherlock to be absolutely genius and inspiring.

If that motive will forever be in question, or if I will consistently be viewed in this way I will peacefully and respectful depart this forum. I do wish that this is not the consensus.

Regardless,

Last edited by Joe Riggs (May 20, 2012 12:17 pm)

May 20, 2012 6:25 pm  #30

Hey Joe,

I'm not good at PMs and so I'l just engage with you here.

I like you. I think your performing (In books and on stage) inspires others to critically analyse the way they think - that's good to my mind.

Please stop taking opposing views upon your 'techniques' as personal attacks on you - they are not.

My advise to you has only ever been on refining your portrayal so that it may stand up to scrutiny.

This will be the last time I approach this with kids gloves.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2012 6:55 pm  #31

I could not agree more.

May 21, 2012 7:09 am  #32

Hey Joe

Not going to weigh in on this discussion really and am only posting here because it hasn't been taken to PM.

Just have to say that I've often found Kazza's posts to be abrasive (no offense Kazza) and I've just learned to take them with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean the whole board isn't interested in creating an inclusive environment.

I, personally, have no interest in your profession regardless of it's tenuous connection with Sherlock. So, I welcome you as a fan of Sherlock and encourage you to continue to post here in that role.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 21, 2012 4:20 pm  #33

Thank you.  That was nice.

I don't have much interest in anyone else's profession either.  ;-)

May 21, 2012 8:15 pm  #34

and, just to weigh in on the Mind Palace,  via Steven Moffat's online chat session today via Masterpiece PBS:

Question:  Where did you get some of your original ideas? For example, (to my recollection), Sherlock didn't have a mind palace in
               canon, so where'd you get the inspiration to put that in?

Steven Moffat: That scene was a bugger to get right. Because if you look at it, all it really consists of is Sherlock going "Hang on, I've
                     just remembered something important which I failed to mention earlier in the plot ... " We had to DISGUISE that.
                     And during one of our many anguished meetings about making sense of Baskerville, we remembered Derren Brown
                     and his mind palace, So we nicked that, Mark wrote a very funny scene, and no one noticed that it's a tiny bit of a
                     cheat, Shhhh!!!

May 21, 2012 10:07 pm  #35

I enjoyed the chat today! Excellent commentary on where they got the idea. I loved that.

Not to forget in the canon, 'A Study in Scarlet' Doyle had Holmes say:

I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it.

While this is not a reference to the 'Memory Palace' of today they used, it does make one wonder if it wasn't a term that later inspired the common phrase. That would be a wonderful irony.

It is also the source material for which the epic scene in season one where Holmes says the same thing only likening the attic to a 'hard drive' in which he only fills what matters pertaining to the work. Food for thought at least.

Last edited by Joe Riggs (May 21, 2012 10:08 pm)

May 22, 2012 12:17 am  #36

Ah more canon nods! We have a thread about nods to the canon. It's fascinating how many they've managed to sneak in there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 8, 2013 12:31 am  #37

Just watched this again tonight.
Will just add that it's one of my favorite scenes in the episode.  It would've been interesting to watch rehersals and filming.  How involved was BC in the coreography?  Was the director shouting out the words he was imagining as he performed?   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2013 11:10 am  #38

I agree, tonnaree, I would love to know how they did that sequence as in how much did BC do himself and how much was he directed.

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

June 8, 2013 5:58 pm  #39

Ok, I know this is going to sound like fangirl gushing, but regardless of my lust his movements in this scene are just beautiful.  It is like a dance.

Not to mention the thousand suble expressions on his face.

Last edited by tonnaree (June 8, 2013 5:59 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2013 9:30 pm  #40

Yes, incredible. Mesmerising actually. Ok, not gushing. *chomps on fist*

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

Board footera