BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2012 1:57 pm  #1

Sherlock OCD?

The many Watsons have always portrayed Sherlock as lazy and messy ( apart from the vanity of personal appearance).
I was thinking that anyone with that degree of observation would have a daily struggle detaching from his environment. I mean, can you imagine his cleaning a bathroom? It would never be done, never be clean enough. The details would jump out to him and the cleaner it got the more the details would just stand out. Better messy and chaotic so it can be ignored. A messy space is far more soothing than an almost clean one.

October 27, 2012 2:04 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock OCD?

OCD very often has nothing to do with cleanliness or tidiness.

Nor do I think he had 'the vanity of personal appearance'. He dressed as to what the occasion needed. In the time of canon Holmes, personal grooming was a given in the social strata he was in.

But as for applying a label to Sherlock Holmes, he expected everything in a certain logical order.
Don't most people?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 27, 2012 2:45 pm  #3

Some people are lazy about some things, and not so about others. Someone commented on this forum a while back that Sherlock seemed like the type of roommate that would keep his own space (his bedroom as we saw it in Scandal -- and his sock index) scrupulously neat and clean, while leaving his mess in the common areas (look at the living room that Mrs. Hudson and John have to deal with.)

I always say I have the worst combination myself -- OCD plus laziness. 

October 27, 2012 3:15 pm  #4

Me too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 27, 2012 4:35 pm  #5

This is what we all have in terms of OCD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 27, 2012 4:41 pm  #6

Girl, you are not taking this seriously, no ....     

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 27, 2012 4:42 pm  #7

Yup!

October 27, 2012 11:14 pm  #8

kazza474 wrote:

OCD very often has nothing to do with cleanliness or tidiness.

Nor do I think he had 'the vanity of personal appearance'. He dressed as to what the occasion needed. In the time of canon Holmes, personal grooming was a given in the social strata he was in.

But as for applying a label to Sherlock Holmes, he expected everything in a certain logical order.
Don't most people?

Yeah, OCD doesn't have to do with always wanting things neat/perfect. It's when someone has to perform "rituals" to deal with extreme anxiety. I don't think Sherlock has this

I don't think he cares much about things being tidy either. His room is clean but if he had an issue, he'd want the whole flat to be neat I believe

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 27, 2012 11:25 pm  #9

He doesn't mind throwing his costumes all over when he's getting ready to meet Irene, does he?

October 28, 2012 8:28 am  #10

Yes, but I think he's rattled...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2012 6:31 pm  #11

And he hadn't even seen Irene in her battle dress yet.

October 28, 2012 7:22 pm  #12

Quite.

November 8, 2012 11:53 am  #13

I don't think he has OCD...

He does keep his bedroom space tidy, but I suppose he doesn't actually spend that much time in there, so it's not that hard.

And yes, he has a sock index, and I always imagine he keeps his shirts in colour coordinated sections in his wardrobe, eg. All the black ones hung up together, all the white ones together, the purple ones together etc (yes, I think he has more than one purple shirt!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 8, 2012 3:20 pm  #14

I don't think he has. Just compare him to Monk. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 8, 2012 4:29 pm  #15

Well, I used to date someone with OCD, and I can assure you that people's obsessions can take different forms. They can be overly worried about cleanliness and order in certain areas of their lives, and at the same time not care about in at all in others. For instance, riding on a public bus might be terrifying because of all the germs, yet going to the cinema may not. It's in your head, so it does not necessarily follow clear logic.

Personally, I have seen no symptoms of OCD with Sherlock. He is a bit of a control freak, and he likes his clothes clean and tidy, but those are signs of a certain upbringing and character traits, rather than OCD.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 8, 2012 11:00 pm  #16

SusiGo wrote:

I don't think he has. Just compare him to Monk. 

Sadly, my family prefers Monk over Sherlock.  I don't think Sherlock has OCD he just keeps things tidy....I color-sort my closet and I'm nowhere near OCD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 8, 2012 11:15 pm  #17

I think most people have some quirks. No reason to worry as long as it doesn't take over your whole life and becomes an obsession. - Reading this I wonder if this also applies to being obsessed by Sherlock. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 9, 2012 1:51 am  #18

Iwantthatcoat wrote:

The many Watsons have always portrayed Sherlock as lazy and messy ( apart from the vanity of personal appearance).
I was thinking that anyone with that degree of observation would have a daily struggle detaching from his environment. I mean, can you imagine his cleaning a bathroom? It would never be done, never be clean enough. The details would jump out to him and the cleaner it got the more the details would just stand out. Better messy and chaotic so it can be ignored. A messy space is far more soothing than an almost clean one.

I think this simply is a situation where only certain duties and tasks and vocations interest Sherlock. He has has as little regard for cleanliness as he has for astronomy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

February 14, 2013 7:12 am  #19

Sam wrote:

Yeah, OCD doesn't have to do with always wanting things neat/perfect. It's when someone has to perform "rituals" to deal with extreme anxiety. I don't think Sherlock has this

I don't think he cares much about things being tidy either. His room is clean but if he had an issue, he'd want the whole flat to be neat I believe

I agree with this. My daughter has OCD and her room is usually a flippin' mess. She wrote up a list of the things she obssesses about and what the rituals are that she needs to follow or she feels awkward and out of sorts. This list was necessary for the phychitrist so that we could get her on the right medication. (before I get told about the evils of medicating kids - she is also cutting and this is a necessary step)

One such behavior is: if she is walking along on a sunny day and the sun is coming through the trees in a dappled fashion, if she steps on a shadow with her left foot she has to step on another shadow of the same shade with her right foot or she can't move forward. It is the same with the tiles on the floor at school. To watch her walk down the hall is a strange sight. Once I saw her list I was shocked to realize how many obssessive traits she has because she hides them very well. She has an IQ of 140 and I think maybe the reason she has gotten as far as she has without this issue being addressed may be due to that intellectual advantage.

There is a TV show in America called Monk. He is a private dectetive with severe OCD but he still is able to solve crimes, even if he has to see his shrink several times over the course of a case. This is a TV version of someone with OCD and is overstated because that is where they get the comic relief, but some of the things that the character does, I see my own child doing.  The point is this is not Sherlock at all, at least not the BBC Sherlock version of the character IMO.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

June 16, 2013 2:27 am  #20

I believe his bedroom is clean because A) he doesn't use it much, and B) Mrs. Hudson who does his laundry keeps it tidy.

I *really don't want to know what the bathroom looks like if Mrs. H. doesn't keep up with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

Board footera