BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2012 10:34 am  #1

The pieces of the puzzle were all there. Holmes fake death unravelled.

Where I'll start is the moment that Holmes is talking with the reporter about not giving her a story.  This ties into Mycroft giving way to much personal information to Moriarty during interrogation, which was intentional.  It is then by no chance that the reporter and Moriarty crossed paths eventually.  Which eventually allows Holmes to know the location of Moriarty based on the knowledge that he was giving information to the reporter.

He is playing Moriarty from the minute he begins interrogation with Mycroft.  Providing Moriarty with a strategy.  Holmes knew that there wasn't an ultimate computer code/virus to unlock/hack anything.  He sells the idea to Watson about the computer code/virus being at his house to continue the idea that they must run from the police because the implications are larger.  He also plants the wireless camera himself in his house to further these ideas that they have been infiltrated.  That is why he finds it.

In the scene leading up to Holmes' fake death we are given a scene in which Moriarty shoots himself so that Homles will have no alternate but to jump to his death or otherwise commit suicide to save his friends.  However I believe Moriarty would not kill himself to see Homles commit suicide, because that would not be satisfying enough not knowing whether Homles had succumbed or not to his games.

How we know the death was fake is simple and was shown to us right in the video.  They show Holmes jump (meagerly) but in the next scene show him further out, away from the building facing perpendicular to the building.  In the shot leading up to it Watson walks around to where Holmes is going to jump but then walks away, after careful pressing by Holmes over the phone, to retreat to a farther away location in the street so as not to see him faking it.

In the scene where he is jumping he is visibly nervous (and somewhat saddened. maybe because it's come to this.?)  This is due to his reluctance to do something so crazy as to attempt to fake his own death by jumping from a building.  In the scene where Watson is running to see Holmes after the jump you see a truck that has a cage and what looks like garbage bags in it.  Behind Watson a biker looks right at him then "accidentally" hits him.  I ask you, What biker notices someone then hits them?  Wouldn't that person not notice them, then accidentally run into them... hmm...  This was setup by Holmes as well to disorientate Watson and to delay him from confirming or denying actually death or COD. 

In the scene where Watson gets up from his blow and goes over to his body, there are already paramedics there (alarmingly fast) and not only that but there is that vehicle which was parked with the garbage bag looking things begins to move away from its position.  What driver leaves the scene of a suicide jump immediately after the paramedics are arriving.  He is the principle witness in the matter as Watson's view was partially blocked by the parking structure.  The driver was hired by Holmes and Holmes jumped into it.  He landed on the pavement not perpendicular as shown while falling but parallel to the building itself.  And it is all too convenient to be all taking place at the Hospital where Holmes knew that he had to meet with Watson there to send him back to 221B baker so as he could be alone to finalize his preparation and keep some distance from Watson as to not allow him to be in on the fake death. 

The favor the female doctor friend sherlock asks about is still up in the air for me, as to exactly what that was.
Also, Holmes never verifies Moriarty's death, although it looked convincing, I cannot fully get behind Moriarty killing himself as his game was obviously psychological in nature it would have not been fitting to actually kill himself.

If I have missed anything or have forgotten to include anything (it's 5:am here so I might not be sound of mind) please reply and we'll lock this one up before the next season comes out.  Thanks for reading.

Last edited by arius33 (October 26, 2012 10:44 am)

November 1, 2012 9:02 pm  #2

Re: The pieces of the puzzle were all there. Holmes fake death unravelled.

First of all, thanks for writing such a wonderful first post and welcome to the forum!

I love your theory...well...most of it.... ...although I don't think Sherlock jumped into the truck, and Moriarty is definitely dead, although it's very sad and everything, he is basically a psychopath and insane, so yes, he killed himself just to force Sherlock into it. Having said that, I would still love him to not be dead, but you can't fake shooting yourself in the mouth. (I don't think.).

EDIT: Plus, it wouldn't be canon if Moriarty survived...and most things are canon. :-)

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (November 1, 2012 9:02 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 2, 2012 11:31 am  #3

Not buying the fact that Sherlock landed on the rubbish truck.It was  too far away for SH to be jumping on top of it.While we did not see him hit the ground,we did see him extraordinarily close to the ground.Maybe SH asked molly to sign his death certificate,and announce him dead.

November 3, 2012 9:12 pm  #4

The body bounced... for a body to bounce on concrete it must hit it at a very high speed. Also, Watson was on the ground with his head down for about all of 5 to 10 seconds. If you watch the scene from the bird's eye view and then again from the POV of Watson, you're rewatching the exact same scene.

I agree the biker hit Watson to delay him from getting to the body but there's very little time for Holmes to get out of the rubbish truck (assuming he landed in there perfectly as planned) and lie on the ground with makeup applied. One also has to account for the high wind resistance from that height. Wearing his coat fully open, it would be very difficult for Holmes to calculate the jump to the rubbish truck and I don't think it's something he'd leave to chance.

Last edited by Lupin (November 3, 2012 9:13 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

December 19, 2012 11:36 am  #5

What I noticed was, the paramedics and onlookers would not let John touch "him". Maybe Molly pushed a Sherlock look alike out the window when Sherlock was out of John's sight. Also, how could a body have landed so perfectly as "Holmes" did? Wouldn't the body be all, broken and jumbled? One more thing, maybe Moriarty did fake his death, maybe used a blank gun and fake blood.
Can't wait for season 3! Maybe they will explain!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SH

December 19, 2012 5:28 pm  #6

Moriarty is definitely dead.
Something could have broken Sherlock's fall...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2013 5:25 am  #7

If Moriarty also faked his death, then the whole episode was a mulligan and kind of pointless... just saying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

January 23, 2013 6:50 am  #8

Sad tho it is, Moriarty is dead.
There will be new bad guys.
Incidentally, just smiled at BBC news, when they were talking about somebody recording their conversation on their mobile phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2013 12:32 pm  #9

Lupin wrote:

If Moriarty also faked his death, then the whole episode was a mulligan and kind of pointless... just saying.

Based on the canon, where Sherlock and Moriarty survive their fall too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 23, 2013 2:19 pm  #10

Moriarty doesn't survive in the canon, just saying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 3:46 pm  #11

I've read that he turned up one day again, but has lost his memory. 
But it’s really not my area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 23, 2013 4:33 pm  #12

Mary Me wrote:

I've read that he turned up one day again, but has lost his memory. 
But it’s really not my area.

Having read the entire canon as written by ACD, Moriarty first appears in The Final Problem, is referenced in The Adventure of the Empty House, and is indirectly involved in The Valley of Fear. He does not make a reappearance at all with a lost memory as far as I remember.

January 30, 2013 11:04 am  #13

I'm pretty sure, shooting yourself in the mouth with a blank bullet would still kill you. 
One (and only) good thing about this long wait is it gives us lots of time to talk about our theories! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 30, 2013 4:42 pm  #14

Yes, but Moriarty is dead.

January 30, 2013 7:40 pm  #15

Swanpride wrote:

Perhaps Sherlock didn't land ON the truck, but behind it...in this case the truck was just another thing designed to conceal what really happened. Perhaps there were people holding a life net? Jumping sheet? You know, the things the fire brigade used in older times. They lowered him to the ground, thew the sheet on the truck (which drove away) and then they pretended to be bystanders.

I'm sure that Moriaty is dead.

My concern with that theory is that anyone with a view of the front of St. Bart's would see the net. Sherlock's death was reported in the papers. If somebody had seen the net, such as a patient at St. Bart's looking out the window or any passerby, then they would have seen the net and the charade would be unraveled.

Also, a body hit the ground. If a second body was throw off at some point two bodies would have had to have been visibly falling. The body that hit the ground bounced so it would have had to have been dropped from at least a few stories, so it couldn't have been released from the second floor by a ripcord or something.

January 31, 2013 3:44 pm  #16

I agree that a lot of the people on the street after the fall were part of Sherlock's plan. It would still be leaving it to chance to say that no one else would have seen the trick. Moriarty after all did say he had his people watching St. Bart's to make sure Sherlock jumped. One would be hardpressed to argue that Sherlock knew where these agents would be positioned.

The rubbish truck moved away just as John approached the body. Any sort of mattress or safety net would have had to have been disposed of immediately before John even saw the body (there's no real gap between the time he got knocked over and the gathering of people around the body).

Last edited by Lupin (January 31, 2013 3:46 pm)

January 31, 2013 5:06 pm  #17

We'll see!

Board footera