BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2012 4:41 pm  #1

The three gifts given to Sherlock...

...at the beginning of the episode:
* Diamond Cufflinks
* Tie Pin
* Deerstalker Cap

Clues or comedy?

October 21, 2012 4:43 pm  #2

Re: The three gifts given to Sherlock...

Tie pin could mean Moriarty, possibly cuff links too.
Unless it's the 3 great adversaries:  Moriarty, Moran and Holmes.

EDIT:  or the 3 responsible for The Fall...
The deerstalker could also refer to Kitty.
See I'm also wondering if one of them could refer to Mycroft.

Last edited by besleybean (October 21, 2012 4:48 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2012 4:51 pm  #3

imo the deerstalker serves as an introduction to the "earhat"/bachelor discussion in 221b.
Cufflinks and tiepins are boring gifts for men like the "SOS gifts" as we call them in German: S= Schlips/tie, O= Oberhemd/Shirt, S= Socken/socks. Boring gifts Sherlock will be appalled at.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (October 21, 2012 4:52 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 22, 2012 12:00 am  #4

This is a good thougth Worldly. Supposedly we were given clues in TRF. I can't say I've figured any out, though.

October 26, 2012 3:01 am  #5

besleybean wrote:

Tie pin could mean Moriarty, possibly cuff links too.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the added detail that the cufflinks had diamonds on them. Was that to show it was an expensive gift, or something else?

In some ways, the whole process started with the diamond JM places in the gum on the glass. There was never any evidence connecting him to the other two crimes (that I am aware of), so breaking into the Crown Jewels is what put him into jail/on trial.

JM's tie pin is very prominently displayed during his trial...possibly symbolizing his breaking of the judicial system?

Those two crimes could have very easily been coordinated by JM--including the gift he was to receive. The kidnapped banker could have actually been JM's contact at the Bank of England that helped him with his simple, daytime robbery.

And the deerstalker hat may refer to the fame that was bestowed upon him so that he could be "broken" by the Richard Brook scandal. That symbolism is also mirrored when we see Kitty wearing one. If this was a sign/symbol/clue orchestrated by JM, then it requires a leap that he had a person inside the police force who was close enough to suggest a gift to Lestrade. There are theories that the man below was working for JM, but I am not entirely convinced.

If almost all of the other the other episodes had not contained vital clues in the first few minutes, I would be more willing to consider them to be meaningless shots showing SH's fame, deductive ability, and comical disregard for polite behavior. But because some clue in the opening minutes has always played a role later in the episode, I'm siding with clues.

Thoughts?

October 26, 2012 6:11 am  #6

My thought?
Yes, I took it as a given that the guy above is working for Moriarty,.
He is shown as Lestrade's sniper, is he not?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 23, 2012 9:00 pm  #7

I'd say that Moriarty almost certainly has inside men working inside the police force. After all, that's how he broke into the Tower of London, the Bank of England and Pentonville Prison - a few willing participants!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera