BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2012 5:04 pm  #81

Re: Why did Moriarty kill himself?

I haven't a problem with posting what is for some of us 'old stuff'. If you tried to read everything on the forum before posting anything you would never get around to posting anything...it is like War and Peace! Everything is fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 7, 2012 6:49 pm  #82

Sorry, but I'm jumping back to the original question of this thread, 'Why did Moriarty kill himself'.  Here's my own brief opinion just for the fun of putting it out there - and I don't really care if someone has posted the same thought because there's room for all of us to express ourselves .

Insane, Sherlock-obsessed Moriarty killed himself because Sherlock was the only thing left in life that distracted him and kept him from deadly boredom.  Discrediting Sherlock and making him kill himself actually means the End Game for both of them.  Once Sherlock dies - Moriarty has no amusement left and nothing left in his life to acheive. I'm thinking he was planning his death too all along - that's why he was carrying the gun he never uses anywhere else. When Sherlock tried a checkmate move, Moriarty made his last and final move, killing himself knowing Sherlock would be forced to follow.  In his mind the same End Game would be acheived either way and the final problem would be solved.  Of course, for my opinion to have credence, you have to believe that Moriarty was completely and utterly insane beyond comprehension - not just an ingenious criminal mastermind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 7, 2012 7:30 pm  #83

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sorry, but I'm jumping back to the original question of this thread, 'Why did Moriarty kill himself'.  Here's my own brief opinion just for the fun of putting it out there - and I don't really care if someone has posted the same thought because there's room for all of us to express ourselves .

Insane, Sherlock-obsessed Moriarty killed himself because Sherlock was the only thing left in life that distracted him and kept him from deadly boredom.  Discrediting Sherlock and making him kill himself actually means the End Game for both of them.  Once Sherlock dies - Moriarty has no amusement left and nothing left in his life to acheive. I'm thinking he was planning his death too all along - that's why he was carrying the gun he never uses anywhere else. When Sherlock tried a checkmate move, Moriarty made his last and final move, killing himself knowing Sherlock would be forced to follow.  In his mind the same End Game would be acheived either way and the final problem would be solved.  Of course, for my opinion to have credence, you have to believe that Moriarty was completely and utterly insane beyond comprehension - not just an ingenious criminal mastermind.

Agreed.

One question: I've read comments/discussion all over the place about the whole Moriarty is Richard Brook/Moriarty hired Richard Brook who played Moriarty. *whew* Anyway...thoughts?

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 9, 2012 8:26 pm  #84

Moriarty isn't dead!!
JF knows where he is:
http://johnfinnemore.blogspot.de/

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 9, 2012 8:44 pm  #85

So the headshot was a trick after all. I knew it!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2012 9:30 pm  #86

Haha! That's too funny.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 9, 2012 11:10 pm  #87

KeepersPrice wrote:

Well said!
Thus Moriarty's 'You are me,' and, 'Staying alive-- it's so boring'. He needed Sherlock, just as much as he needed to destroy him. The end of one is the end of both in his, Moriarty's, mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 12, 2012 8:51 am  #88

SandraNM wrote:

In the Jeremy Brett version Holmes went to the Falls planning to take Moriarty out and was willing to sacrifice his own life to do so.

When it shows Watson imagining it he sees it as an accident when they go over the Falls.

If this episode of Sherlock is also John telling the story it's his impressions of events from his point of view not accually what happened. 

Woah! I never thought about that before...but that certainly make you wonder...whether the scenes they have shot and are showing us are purposely deceptive because we're supposed to see things from John's point of view, it's canon folks!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 10:23 am  #89

That is true however I suspect a majority of viewers are not au fait with the canon. How will they feel if this is proved to be the case?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 12:50 pm  #90

Mofftiss said Moriarty had to go because if he lives then the nature of the show changes profoundly; it becomes a perpetual struggle between one hero and one villian, which could lead them far away from the cannon. As much as I enjoyed Scott's performance, I will be disappointed if they bring him back. So might Moriarity; they'd be running the risk of having a much more *ordinary* show.

Last edited by NW16XE (September 13, 2012 12:51 pm)

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 13, 2012 5:53 pm  #91

Davina wrote:

That is true however I suspect a majority of viewers are not au fait with the canon. How will they feel if this is proved to be the case?

I'm not, though I just started in on it a few days ago. Love it so far, of course.

I (obviously) loved this Moriarty, and I adore Andrew Scott. As much as I like him and want to see more Moriarty, I think it would detract from the show. I don't believe he's coming back.

September 13, 2012 10:40 pm  #92

Poor babha! We should have a wake for him, with buckets of booze and a non-stop Moriarty video tribute.
Shame we don't know what he drank, but we could make mourning by Westwood de rigueur. 

September 13, 2012 11:01 pm  #93

NW16XE wrote:

Poor babha! We should have a wake for him, with buckets of booze and a non-stop Moriarty video tribute.
Shame we don't know what he drank, but we could make mourning by Westwood de rigueur. 

Whatever he drank, it was smooth. And sexy. Like...Irish whiskey. Or a single malt Scotch. (Both considered sexy in the States. Don't know about everywhere else.)

Definitely not a beer guy.

September 13, 2012 11:14 pm  #94

No, definitely can't see him with a pint. Midleton, maybe, but only the reserves. 

September 13, 2012 11:16 pm  #95

NW16XE wrote:

No, definitely can't see him with a pint. Midleton, maybe, but only the reserves. 

A few of his other characters drink a fair amount of Guinness though.

September 13, 2012 11:36 pm  #96

Banbha wrote:

NW16XE wrote:

A few of his other characters drink a fair amount of Guinness though.

Are they dead?   

September 14, 2012 4:43 am  #97

Maybe.

I was thinking specifically about Andrew Scott's characters from My Life In Film and Dead Bodies.

September 14, 2012 5:50 am  #98

You could have a virtual Irish wake for him! It could get messy though.

September 14, 2012 10:23 am  #99

If your virtual wake doesn't get a bit messy, you're not doing it right.

September 14, 2012 11:06 am  #100

So what are we going to have at this virtual wake then? Ideas anyone?

I suggest several bottles of Jameson's for a starter.

Board footera