BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2013 7:39 pm  #101

Re: POLL: Other Languages

You must have picked up sme Spanish living in Florida!
The basketball avatar means...?

April 24, 2013 8:14 pm  #102

Well,my mother tongue is Polish. I speak fluently English. I've learned for 4 years German, for 2-Spanish. This year I began learning Swedish and Norway. I also have Latin lessons.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

November 18, 2013 11:32 pm  #103

I'm not fluent, but I can hold a pretty decent conversation (not just basic "Nice weather today. It's cloudy") in Spanish, Japanese, and ASL. Working on German now...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back." -- The Prestige

"Just one more thing, one more thing, one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don’t be … dead. Would you do that just for me?" -- John (s2e3)

November 19, 2013 4:47 pm  #104

My mother tongue is Czech and I study English and French at university (translating and interpreting) so I should be (unfortunately I'm not) almost as good as native speakers at these two. In fact, this school might be too difficult for me but I'm determined to finish my studies I learned Spanish for a year (it was easy as I speak French) and Russian for a year and a half (also easier for me as it's similar to Czech) so I could have a conversation in Spanish or Russian (although I forgot a lot because I concentrate on English and French right now). And few months ago I started learning Irish but only to learn the pronunciation and some basic phrases

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

November 21, 2013 7:34 pm  #105

What about reading Irish words eh? Tricky isn't it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2014 11:58 am  #106

My mother tongue is Chinese but my native language is English (if that makes sense ) that is - my second language has completely eclipsed my first. I primarily think in English & if I was to converse with someone in Chinese, I actually have to translate backwards from English into Chinese.

Culturally, I'm even more of a bad cocktail. Let's just say that the linguistic disorientation gives one enough to go on without even considering the cultures that are the complete opposites of each other.

February 13, 2014 12:13 pm  #107

My best friend (German) is married to a Dutchman, and they live in the UK now. Their son is growing up trilingually, which is kind of amazing to see, now that he's starting to speak (he's 3). At home they speak only German and Dutch to him, but of course he's learning English in nursery. When I visit, I speak English to my friend and her husband, but German to their son. It gets really weird sometimes.

Interestingly, their son speaks mostly English with a little bit of German and sometimes Dutch mixed in. ("Can you throw the Kissens?" or "Mummy play monster, and you have to schütz me.") It's gonna be really interesting to see how that develops when he grows up, although I think it's pretty clear his primary language will be English. I find that kind of stuff fascinating.

Although German is my mother tongue, and of course both my active and passive vocabulary in German is way bigger than in English, I speak/hear/write so much English in both my business and private environment that I switch easily between the languages. Sometimes I catch myself using English when I count something in my head. Sometimes I swear out loud in English (preferably at idiot drivers when I'm in the car). Sometimes I dream in English, or sometimes I even have bilingual dreams where I have to translate for someone. Sometimes I take my notes in English at work. It's become an integral part of my life.

February 13, 2014 12:14 pm  #108

I am fluent in English (sure hope I come off that way...) I speak enough German to get around, understand some Spanish... Have learned a tiny bit of latin too.

I started looking up Irish as a self study but couldn't focus... I might get back into that if I do get to work for the Irish delegation under the Eurovision

I want to learn French, Italian and either Japanese or Chinese...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 1:01 pm  #109

My native language is German. I think my English is pretty good. (Sometimes words come to me in English instead of German. ) Also, I speak French, a little bit Russian and Czech.

Besleybean: I love Scots.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

February 13, 2014 3:51 pm  #110

Criosdan wrote:

(Sometimes words come to me in English instead of German. )

That always happen to me! When I lived at home I would drive my mother nuts asking her what the Danish word was... I actually think I'm a lot better at English than Danish by now; which is a little bit scary. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2014 9:47 pm  #111

TeeJay wrote:

My best friend (German) is married to a Dutchman, and they live in the UK now. Their son is growing up trilingually

What a fortunate child! That's the coolest thing I've heard in ages. If I were the parents, the kid would be in special classes or tutored or something in German and Dutch, to make sure he was fully fluent in all three languages. IMO it does little good to speak a foreign language but not read or write it. Nice to be able to do all three... in his case, to do all three, in all three!

It's [English]  become an integral part of my life.

English is wonderful to have as a 2nd language, if someone is fluent enough. Lots and lots of English in the world today....

February 14, 2014 8:49 am  #112

When I ran Pre-school we had many bilingual children and also one who was trilingual (English, French & Italian). There is no problem for young children to switch (and indeed mix) between languages. The best idea is for one parent to speak one language consistently and the other to speak the other. The majority of young children are basically programmed to absorb languages., rather than 'learning' them in the traditional sense.

Has anyone noticed that, if you speak at least one 'foreign ' language when you come to try and think of a word in another foreign language and cannot quite think of it, then instead of thinking of the word in your 'mother tongue' the word that pops into your head will be from one of your learnt languages? For instance: being stopped in the street by some French students, I could not think of the word for a 'corner' in French but the word that popped into my head was 'Ecke'  not 'corner'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 14, 2014 8:59 am  #113

That has happened to me a few times!

Once I was in town listening to a Spanish tune on my MP3 and thinking in English (Yes I have thought in English for years now, rarely in Danish) and a German tourist stopped me to ask for directions. I have never been so confused in my life! Luckily I managed to direct him.

When I first started learning German and was still new at English I would really mix the two...

I have lately tried to tidy up my English though; I have spoken a hybrid form of American, British and Scottish and it has really been getting on my nerves. The English I learned at school was sort of British, the English the movies and people spoke around me was American, and a Scottish girl taught me online... That was back when I could hardly put a sentence together... I still admire her patience with me.

Now when I write my fan fic I am looking up certain words for their American and British counterparts. Like the words 'Pavement' and 'Sidewalk', I prefer British. I am also working on my accent and I feel I have come far..  Watching a lot of Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch really helps that along.

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (February 14, 2014 9:01 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 14, 2014 10:38 am  #114

mother tongue : greek
understand and speak english quite well
understand and speak french well
understand and speak german a little - learnt and reached a satisfying level a few years ago, but it's too difficult to remember without practice
wanna learn russian and portuguese (love the accents!)

p.s.1. what I love about languages in general is how one gets used to them when one hears a lot of them. I mean, when I watch lots of french movies or listen to the same french songs, after a couple of days many french words come to my mind all the time. or during the period I was watching "Sherlock" (almost every night), the same happened with english.
p.s.2. what I love about romance/ neo-latin languages is how you can learn one, and kind of understand many others. that's the case with italian and spanish - because I know french, I can understand much stuff in spanish, and italian, and portuguese - actually more easily than german, which I spent 3 years studying (german : charming and challenging language though, if only I had time to learn it better)

Last edited by antigone (February 14, 2014 10:49 am)

February 14, 2014 10:47 am  #115

Davina wrote:

The best idea is for one parent to speak one language consistently and the other to speak the other.

Yes, that's what my friend is doing. She only speaks German to her boy, while the husband only speaks Dutch. They rarely speak to him in English, unless it's to correct something important that won't work in the other language. (He kept mixing up he and she for a while, for instance.)

Davina wrote:

Has anyone noticed that, if you speak at least one 'foreign ' language when you come to try and think of a word in another foreign language and cannot quite think of it, then instead of thinking of the word in your 'mother tongue' the word that pops into your head will be from one of your learnt languages?

Happens to me all the time when I try to speak French. I learned it in school (decades ago), and it's more than rusty. But whenever I try to think of how to say something in French, it's always English that comes out.

February 14, 2014 10:47 am  #116

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

When I first started learning German and was still new at English I would really mix the two...

The two share a common gutteral sound and even a few words.

I have lately tried to tidy up my English though; I have spoken a hybrid form of American, British and Scottish and it has really been getting on my nerves.

Language is rarely perfect. As spoken, written and read by the average person in the street, it's constantly evolving and definitely a work in progress. If I were speaking to you, as long as you could make your English understood, I wouldn't give a thought to your accent.  As an American native speaker of English, the only problem I have with foreign-born English speakers is the words they use that are not part of my vocabulary. But that's actually interesting, and I would have no problem asking what something meant. Perhaps you need to be not so hard on yourself?

I'm curious, how did you become such an English-speaker that you rarely use your Danish? How is that possible?  Just wondering.

The English I learned at school was sort of British, the English the movies and people spoke around me was American, and a Scottish girl taught me online... That was back when I could hardly put a sentence together... I still admire her patience with me.

Yes, I often see foreign English speakers on TV, people from Germany, France, Scandinavia, etc, and they speak with thick British accents. Once in a while, someone speaks in an American accent, and I always sit and wonder how that came to be-- perhaps they went to school in the US or something, or had an American parent. I think of the actor John Barrowman, for instance-- Brit through and through, but raised in the US from the age of 11, and his accent is now American, although he can slip back into his Scottish brogue and speak as his parents do at the drop of a hat.

Now when I write my fan fic I am looking up certain words for their American and British counterparts. Like the words 'Pavement' and 'Sidewalk', I prefer British. I am also working on my accent and I feel I have come far..  Watching a lot of Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch really helps that along.

As a Dane, speaking and writing your English as the Brits do is probably better and more understandable to the people in your area of the world anyway; you're a long, long ways from the US and Canada, for sure. But for writing fan fic, IMO you should write and spell in the way the characters would. If you're writing British characters, then it's kerb. If they're Americans or Canadians, it's a curb. Even that can be confusing, though, because Canadians use British spelling-- colour, realise, theatre, programme, etc.  On and on it goes But whatever, in fan fic, IMO again, just don't mix the Brit with the American in the same story-- that should be rule #1, in as far as there are any rules for fan fic, lol.

February 14, 2014 11:05 am  #117

I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself but I am a bit of a 'grammar geek', always loved finding out why certain words came to be and such. I don't know if I'm being snobbish, and nothing bad about American English but I just adore British accents and wording... For me the worst thing is with the English I speak now, and have spoken for some years I didn't even know which words were from what branch of the English language. It's just me being a perfectionist.

As for using English more than Danish; well that started as I spent most of my life online instead of in the real world. I've been bullied all of my life and at a point I just stopped having conversations. The forums I visited were in English and so were the people I actually talked to; like the Scottish girl who took me under her wing and taught me propper grammar.
Now I have friends in the real world, but we often speak in English and especially on Facebook; it just comes natural to us by now.
Thinking in English was something I started out forcing myself to do so I could get better... now it's just who I am!

Often younger Danes will have an American accent because that is what they pick up from films and music; the more mature people were strictly taught to speak in a british accent at school and were awarded the thicker their accent was. If you see a young person speak with a British accent here other's are likely to find you a snob. But I don't care xD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 14, 2014 8:12 pm  #118

Davina wrote:

When I ran Pre-school we had many bilingual children and also one who was trilingual

This is actually very common in Asia (for countries like China & India) because for political reasons, languages that aren't dialects at all are classed as dialects to avoid the notion of "we speak another language, we'd like our own country!" Government response = "nice try but no you cannot have your own country & your language is from the same language family/strand as the main language in this country anyway so ethnically, you're not different people".

Because China is a mostly atheist country with no "official" state religion, linguistic identity is stronger than religious identity. People might say "we believe in (fill in the blank)" & government goes "good for you (sarcasm)" but if someone goes "my culture/language is different" then government will go "better take a look at that guy; he's abit of a trouble maker". The case with falungong is not a religious one. They treat it as a cult - same as how most people think of Scientology.

February 14, 2014 11:19 pm  #119

I speak English and Lithuanian  Other than family and a few friends, it is not easy to find another person who speaks Lithuanian here in the states. Living in Miami, I have picked up some Spanish.

February 14, 2014 11:37 pm  #120

As Americans, being very geographically distant from anyone but Canada or Mexico, we're English-speakers, pretty much exclusively.

There are regions of the US that have a lot of Spanish speakers (southern Florida, southern Texas, southern California, for instance), but pretty much, in this country, if you want to be employed at any "real" job, you'd better speak, read and write English. IMO TPTB in education don't do any favors to immigrant kids who are not required to learn English by immersion in their classrooms--  they used to be, but now a lot of their education is in their native tongue. I understand that in the LA school district alone, there are over 50 different languages being used in public classrooms. I think that's ridiculous, because how does that prepare those kids to go out and work someday? But..... there ya go. Greater minds than mine think they know what they're doing.

The US has no official language, not even English. Unlike Canada, for instance, whose official languages are both English and French, so everything public is posted in both languages. In the US, you better speak English, or there will be no sign-reading for you. For those who push to make English our official language, the Spanish-speakers get all up in arms about that. There's even been a movement underfoot to make us have two official languages, English and Spanish, but it would then be very costly to change our money, our signage, our official Congressional paperwork, etc. Probably not ever going to an official nod to Spanish, for economic reasons, if nothing else.

We fought a war back in the mid-1800s, when the south wanted to make its own nation and keep slavery intact. Abraham Lincoln et al would have none of it, a whole generation of men died to keep this nation together, and even after a century and a half, no one's forgotten. There are no rumblings about "make our own nation" here, with the exception of the American Indian reservations, and that's very minor in the overall scheme of things.

America is called a melting pot, and it truly is. That's set us up for lots of problems over the centuries, but it's also quite wacky and wonderful and is a big part of who we are, why we are who we are, etc. Unless we're native Americans, none of our ancestors were born here, after all.

Board footera