BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2013 4:59 pm  #81

Re: POLL: Other Languages

Mary Me wrote:

Thanks!  Lol, my teacher asked if I was maybe trying to say "when I can speak to my mind", but that would be something of a different meaning, wouldn't it?

"Speaking to your mind" is just... thinking.  ha

January 24, 2013 7:40 pm  #82

I love that Chinese/Japanese is bundled together in the poll. Other than sharing bits of writing, in terms of the spoken language, the two are actually nothing alike. It's like someone who goes: Oh cool English & French share bits of vocab, lets lump them together 

January 24, 2013 8:07 pm  #83

Well, my native-language is German (the swiss one, but it's still German), but my mother is from Spain and I talk Spanish, too. I couldn't poke two lenguages, so spanish would be my second poke. 
I'm not fluent in English, just what I learned in school (I started with English-lessons 2 years ago...)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 25, 2013 9:21 am  #84

pitagor wrote:

I'm not fluent in English, just what I learned in school (I started with English-lessons 2 years ago...)

2 years ago? Then you're quick at learning languages, hm? I started learning french three years ago and I would die in a french speaking forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 25, 2013 3:13 pm  #85

My english is quite bad, and I don't write good marks at school in English-with lenguages I am not really good, not at all! :-) 
Ohw. French... I'm studying it since... 5 or 6 years. And I'm still very bad in it... I don't like the Lenguage, dunno why... :-) Well English is a wonderful one, but I make too much mistakes while talking/writing it, and that's the reason why I am not a great writer in here. In fact it's my only, English-board and I'm ashamed of all the mistakes of mine... :-o 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 25, 2013 3:31 pm  #86

pitagor wrote:

My english is quite bad, and I don't write good marks at school in English-with lenguages I am not really good, not at all! :-) 
Ohw. French... I'm studying it since... 5 or 6 years. And I'm still very bad in it... I don't like the Lenguage, dunno why... :-) Well English is a wonderful one, but I make too much mistakes while talking/writing it, and that's the reason why I am not a great writer in here. In fact it's my only, English-board and I'm ashamed of all the mistakes of mine... :-o 

But that's the good thing about it - you learn a lot in an english speaking forum and you can improve your skills.
My english lessons are really boring and less useful. In my case, I learn languages faster by reading, watching movies etc. So do not lose your motivation! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 21, 2013 3:24 pm  #87

German is my mother tongue and I've been learning English since the age of ten. I had French and Spanish in school for four years but I can hardly speak a word in either language today. I haven't spoken French for five years and Spanish for two years, so I just forgot most of it. When reading a text in French or Spanish I usually understand quite a bit but I really need a refresher course one day.
I also plan to take Norwegian or Danish lessons at university next year, I would love to go to Scandinavia one day and I just love the languages.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 21, 2013 7:56 pm  #88

haha funny poll :-) ok, my mother tongue is Czech /am I really the only one here?/ - and of course I understand Slovak then. and Polish. I have learned English since my childhood, then German and French at the basic school. I had to learn Latin for some exams, but those times are luckily over :-) and now I´m working with tourists sometimes so I have to get some basics in Spanish and Italian. and there we are - expressing our minds about Sherlock in foreign languages, and that it is what makes us happy 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 21, 2013 9:08 pm  #89

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

haha funny poll :-) ok, my mother tongue is Czech /am I really the only one here?/ - and of course I understand Slovak then. and Polish. I have learned English since my childhood, then German and French at the basic school. I had to learn Latin for some exams, but those times are luckily over :-) and now I´m working with tourists sometimes so I have to get some basics in Spanish and Italian. and there we are - expressing our minds about Sherlock in foreign languages, and that it is what makes us happy 

And I'm just grateful that I speak English [only] and this forum is in English-- THAT makes ME happy, lol.

April 2, 2013 5:50 pm  #90

Swedish is my mother tounge and been learning English in school since I was 7. I've started to learn French this year but I'm quite bad at it actually xD

Last edited by goodbye_Jawn (April 3, 2013 2:14 pm)

April 2, 2013 7:13 pm  #91

I too am amazed at how many people on here are communicating so well in English. The only other language on that list I can "speak" is Latin but I wouldn't want to write a post in Latin! I might manage it in French. But seriously, you non-native speakers on here all , every one of you, have awesome language skills. 

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 2, 2013 8:10 pm  #92

I wouldn't want to communicate here in Latin, either :-) it'a kind of nightmare! B-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

April 2, 2013 8:50 pm  #93

I'm learning French (2 years) and German (6 years, but my teacher is terrible so I can say only some stupid things like 'Ich habe eine Katze'). I started learning Japanese last summer and I want to continue after my final exams at school (have no time for that now).

I don't know Latin but I hope I'll learn it someday ;)

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

April 2, 2013 8:56 pm  #94

I'm also not sure that Latin really has the language to cover a lot of what gets talked about here. What would be the gerund form of navis, for example? ;-)

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 3, 2013 1:17 am  #95

beekeeper wrote:

I'm also not sure that Latin really has the language to cover a lot of what gets talked about here. What would be the gerund form of navis, for example? ;-)

Now there's a point. *laugh*

April 3, 2013 1:27 am  #96

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

My father's side was Slovak (although we oftens said Czech, I suppose because it was one country for a while), and my mother's was Polish. Although both were born in the US and grew up speaking English, sometimes my mother would speak to my father in Polish (so we wouldn't understand as little kids), and then he would answer her in English. Mostly we picked up odds and ends, and, of course, a few swear words! 

My own studies went to the Romance languages -- mainly Spanish and Portuguese, with a little French, Italian, and Catalan. I only took a little Latin, but I loved it (language geek, I know). But I could not keep up on this forum in any of those languages the way you all do in English.

April 3, 2013 3:10 pm  #97

beekeeper wrote:

gerund?!

April 3, 2013 3:17 pm  #98

veecee wrote:

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

My father's side was Slovak (although we oftens said Czech, I suppose because it was one country for a while), and my mother's was Polish. Although both were born in the US and grew up speaking English, sometimes my mother would speak to my father in Polish (so we wouldn't understand as little kids), and then he would answer her in English. Mostly we picked up odds and ends, and, of course, a few swear words! 

My own studies went to the Romance languages -- mainly Spanish and Portuguese, with a little French, Italian, and Catalan. I only took a little Latin, but I loved it (language geek, I know). But I could not keep up on this forum in any of those languages the way you all do in English.

interesting! were you searching for your roots here in Central Europe?

April 3, 2013 7:06 pm  #99

Actually, I'd love to get my sibling to go over there with me one day.
Any tips for phrases and must-sees?
Also, are you familiar with very dense beef gravy dish? My grandmother used to make it. We cut it with vinegar and dipped rye or pumpernickel or some other kind of rustic bread in it. We called it muchanki, but that may have been a made-up word. I don't eat much meat anymore, but I wouldn't mind trying muchanki again.

April 4, 2013 6:36 pm  #100

Other = None?

Board footera