BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2012 1:39 pm  #1

Elementary UK airing

Elementary Will be aired on Sky Living HD on Tuesday 23rd October 2012 at 9 p.m.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 8, 2012 9:36 pm  #2

Re: Elementary UK airing

And if you don't have sky??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

October 21, 2012 6:12 pm  #3

I'll just drop this here.
Tweets between Jonathan Ross and Mark:

jonathan rossVerified †@wossy
Am watching Elementary. It's shite.
Details

Following

Mark GatissVerified
†@Markgatiss
@wossy You are a prince amongst men. With excellent taste.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2012 9:16 pm  #4

Here's a link to besleybeans post:

http://enigmaticpenguinofdeath.tumblr.com/post/34047890449/sherlyhondacase-its-real-bless-you-mark

I'm curious how the ratings will be in the UK.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 22, 2012 1:00 pm  #5

Haha, I was reading the other replies to that tweet, and Wossy's subsequent responses to them...looks like he really does hate it:

Mike Kemp †@mikekemp60
@wossy I like it. It's not as good as ours, but it's definitely not shite.

jonathan ross †@wossy
@mikekemp60 no. It is shite.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 24, 2012 12:45 pm  #6

Recorded it last night and have just watched it. It is alright, as in not awful but not great either. I thought JLM was good actually. I liked his nervous frisson and his character portrayal.
Lucy Lui was alright. I did not like the way she delivered her lines in the scene outside the hospital when SH confronted the murdered woman's husband. She delivered the line, 'What did he say?' without any real interest in her voice.
Aidan Quinn...I just wasn't sure about him. It's early days in the series so perhaps his character will develop but he came over a bit like a cardboard cutout. Is his placement in an 'Irish'  bar to tell us he is of Irish descent? Obviously it is but isn't this all a bit stereotypical?
I can see why they had SH in front of the TVs as a way to introduce the two characters to each other but I cannot for the life of me see why SH would want to commit such drivel to memory.
The occasional use of Americanisms by SH seemed a bit weird frankly. I would not expect him to say 'cellphone' or 'front stoop'- particularly the latter (what is it by the way?)
I enjoyed the marble rolling bit and the bees. The scene with the previous victim was good and I liked the performances in this scene from all involved.
The bit at the end predicting the results was just daft!

Final verdict...I will probably watch the next episode. I am interested in JLM's SH characterisation but at the moment I don't care much about Watson. If she had left and he'd got another minder I think I would have just thought...ah well, so be it. So far there is a lack of real sympathy generated for her character. I am not sure if this is due to the writing, the acting or both. I still feel that making her his minder,  appointed by his father, is a missed opportunity and has changed the dynamic.

The thing that made me smile was the advert we had for anti-wrinkle cream part way through. Bearing in mind all the stuff about plastic surgery it was hilarious!

One question...why so little use of New York City? I shall be disappointed if more of the city is not used as a n integral part of the stories in future episodes. Basically this could have been anywhere.

Last edited by Davina (October 24, 2012 12:47 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 24, 2012 6:43 pm  #7

521k watched the first episode of Elementary on Sky Living last night. 2.5% of share.

October 24, 2012 6:45 pm  #8

3 of my work colleagues greeted me this morning with: did you watch Elementary?
To which I replied: no, I watched the crime awards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 24, 2012 8:37 pm  #9

It was aired again tonight. I read a book on my I-pad instead.

October 24, 2012 8:39 pm  #10

I watched SCANDAL.

October 24, 2012 10:49 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Recorded it last night and have just watched it. It is alright, as in not awful but not great either. I thought JLM was good actually. I liked his nervous frisson and his character portrayal.
Lucy Lui was alright. I did not like the way she delivered her lines in the scene outside the hospital when SH confronted the murdered woman's husband. She delivered the line, 'What did he say?' without any real interest in her voice.
Aidan Quinn...I just wasn't sure about him. It's early days in the series so perhaps his character will develop but he came over a bit like a cardboard cutout. Is his placement in an 'Irish'  bar to tell us he is of Irish descent? Obviously it is but isn't this all a bit stereotypical?
I can see why they had SH in front of the TVs as a way to introduce the two characters to each other but I cannot for the life of me see why SH would want to commit such drivel to memory.
The occasional use of Americanisms by SH seemed a bit weird frankly. I would not expect him to say 'cellphone' or 'front stoop'- particularly the latter (what is it by the way?)
I enjoyed the marble rolling bit and the bees. The scene with the previous victim was good and I liked the performances in this scene from all involved.
The bit at the end predicting the results was just daft!

Final verdict...I will probably watch the next episode. I am interested in JLM's SH characterisation but at the moment I don't care much about Watson. If she had left and he'd got another minder I think I would have just thought...ah well, so be it. So far there is a lack of real sympathy generated for her character. I am not sure if this is due to the writing, the acting or both. I still feel that making her his minder,  appointed by his father, is a missed opportunity and has changed the dynamic.

The thing that made me smile was the advert we had for anti-wrinkle cream part way through. Bearing in mind all the stuff about plastic surgery it was hilarious!

One question...why so little use of New York City? I shall be disappointed if more of the city is not used as a n integral part of the stories in future episodes. Basically this could have been anywhere.

A front stoop is a small porch on the front of a house and/or the steps down from it. I think of them as being made of concrete. They are common in cities where there isn't a lot of room for a proper porch.

October 25, 2012 5:57 am  #12

Oh I can picture what you mean, I like those...tho not as fab as the traditional American porch.

October 25, 2012 7:30 am  #13

So he'd say 'porch' then not stoop. Would it hurt the North American audience so much for him to use the classic English-English word for it? Just wondering.

October 26, 2012 6:11 pm  #14

The way Sarah said "air mattress" instead of "lie-low" for us?

For us," stoop" really conjures up a specific image. It's mainly the top landing of the stairs leading up to the house, I'd say.

October 26, 2012 8:20 pm  #15

Yes...but the whole point is that he is British and to be honest his saying 'stoop' just doesn't sound authentic. Sarah is British too so she would say 'lilo' and not air mattress. I know he is supposed to have been in the States for a while (how long is a bit vague) but even so it sounds anachronistic to hear him say that. They could always have made the clarification of it slightly humorous, since humour was a bit lacking in the pilot episode.

October 27, 2012 2:28 pm  #16

Then he probably should have said "front stairs" or "entrance stairs." I shouldn't have put so much emphasis on the "porch" aspect. It is a very specific sort of thing -- very common on New York City brownstones. The stairs can be elegant or just functional. People sometimes sit on them and kids play games on them

And yes, if this show had any sense of humor, Lucy could have said "stoop," and it could have led to a little misunderstanding or to him being Sherlock-like about vocabulary. I don't remember the exchange because, frankly, the whole show left little impression on me. Just drab.

October 27, 2012 2:35 pm  #17

Ah then front step would have worked really well. Like the 'naughty step.'

October 27, 2012 3:07 pm  #18

Yes, steps rather than stairs. Exactly.

What is the "naughty step"?

October 27, 2012 3:12 pm  #19

You're supposed to sit  a naughty child on it,until they learn to be good or say sorry, or something.  I dunno, I've never used it.

Last edited by besleybean (October 27, 2012 3:12 pm)

October 27, 2012 3:51 pm  #20

I haven't either but somehow the image of Sherlock Holmes sitting on one, or being threatened with it, was funny (in my strange little brain).

Board footera