BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2012 8:48 pm  #1

some of Harriet's books

This is but a very random choice of books I found stunning,

Dune (all by Frank Herbert) - any Dune fans here, btw?
Jane Eyre
Moby Dick
All Lord Peter Wimsey novels
All Harry Potter books
Pasolini: Scritti Corsari
All Moomin books by Tove Jansson
The Great Gatsby
Il Decamerone
Magic Mountain/Zauberberg, Buddenbrooks
Harriet the Spy
Almost all Annie Dillard books
Naked Lunch
The Name of the Rose

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 7, 2012 8:50 pm  #2

Re: some of Harriet's books

Peter Wimsey - one of my favourite detectives of all time.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 7, 2012 9:36 pm  #3

Harriet wrote:

Go Finland. I grew up watching the cartoon on TV. Every person under 100 knows those characters.

I'm in the middle of MOBY DICK myself. Thought I'd read it since it's such a classic. Didn't know much about it except Ahab hunts for the whale and Dana Scully named her pomeranian dog Queequeg after the tattooed character in the book. NAME OF THE ROSE is one of my brother's favorite books. Maybe I should read that one at some point as well. I remember liking the movie with Sean Connery.

Last edited by Dramagod (October 7, 2012 9:38 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 7, 2012 9:46 pm  #4

When I was a child I found the moomin stories a little weird. Today I love them.
I have 2 moomin mugs, one with snufkin and one with the 2 tiny rascal fellows.
Tove Jansson is brilliant also as an artist.
I also have finnish dishes, best ever. Much fun to read about one's plates in all magazines because Helsinki became design capital
But the language!!! 

How do you get along with Moby Dick? Many people find it tedious... but being in the middle is quite something! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 7, 2012 9:53 pm  #5

Sadly I don't have those "kind of books" worth posting here. I love reading and I do a lot, but it's like when someone asks me: What kind of music to you hear? It's always the boring (?) answer: Oh, all kinds of...

But I'll check my shelves later. 
Oh, and wait! Actually I read Ford Madox Ford. And before that the amazing Susanne Goga. 
Laterz!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 7, 2012 10:05 pm  #6

Harriet wrote:

When I was a child I found the moomin stories a little weird. Today I love them.
I have 2 moomin mugs, one with snufkin and one with the 2 tiny rascal fellows.
Tove Jansson is brilliant also as an artist.
I also have finnish dishes, best ever. Much fun to read about one's plates in all magazines because Helsinki became design capital
But the language!!! 

How do you get along with Moby Dick? Many people find it tedious... but being in the middle is quite something! 

Yeah I can understand how the language is a pickle for foreigners. Well, I read maybe 20 pages almost a year ago and haven't opened the book since. It's not that it was bad or anything, I just have this problem that I start new projects (it's the same with TV shows, comics, videogames) before I finish the old ones. I'm in the middle of so many books at the moment and MD hasn't been on the top of the pile. I'm just waiting for the right inspiration to hit because I'd love to finish it some day. It IS Moby Dick after all, a true classic I hear.

Last edited by Dramagod (October 7, 2012 10:06 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 7, 2012 11:18 pm  #7

Harriet wrote:

This is but a very random choice of books I found stunning,

Dune (all by Frank Herbert) - any Dune fans here, btw?
Jane Eyre
Moby Dick
All Lord Peter Wimsey novels
All Harry Potter books
Pasolini: Scritti Corsari
The Great Gatsby
Il Decamerone
Magic Mountain/Zauberberg, Buddenbrooks
Harriet the Spy
Almost all Annie Dillard books
Naked Lunch
The Name of the Rose

Yes, *huge* Dune and FH fan. Many years ago I went into a tiny secondhand bookstore and found a complete set of all his pre-Dune works: Helstrom's Hive, The Green Brain, The Dragon In The Sea, The Santaroga Barrier, etc. One of the best days of my life. Do you have The Road To Dune? Really fascinating to see how he developed that universe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 8, 2012 10:43 am  #8

Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose is a fantastic book. I can heartily recommend it although, following the heart theme, it is not for the faint-hearted. If you enjoy Jane Eyre then try Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier- there are similarities.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 8, 2012 5:25 pm  #9

Dramagod, this comes out of it - got my t-shirt today, finally, yay! 

October 8, 2012 5:32 pm  #10

Oh... poor Martin... Ended up as hedgehog, cat, woman... and now finally as hippo  Mumin...     

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 8, 2012 5:33 pm)

October 8, 2012 5:36 pm  #11

Dune - I've read only the six original novels. 2-6 only once, but the stories keep following me 
Unforgettable ideas and images. And what wonderful dedications!
What do you think of David Lynch's film?

October 8, 2012 5:43 pm  #12

Mattlocked wrote:

Oh... poor Martin... Ended up as hedgehog, cat, woman... and now finally as hippo  Mumin...     

But doesn't it fit the characters (almost) perfectly? Lone wolf Snufkin / Nuuskamuikkunen and him adoring Moomin / Muumin? 

October 8, 2012 7:04 pm  #13

I'm a big fan of Lynch's movies (and TWIN PEAKS of course; one of the greatest shows in television history) and I must say DUNE is my least favorite of his along with FIRE WALK WITH ME. There was a lot of problems during the development of the film and it really shows. I haven't read the books but after watching the movie a couple of times I think the material doesn't translate well into film. Even Lynch thinks the movie sucks and he hated making it.

I just realised how funny name Nuuskamuikkunen really is. "Nuuska" means snuff (the tobacco stuff you keep inside your mouth) and "muikku" means the fish "herring". So no wonder the name has been translated to Snufkin.

That's a cool shirt you got there, Harriet.

October 8, 2012 7:24 pm  #14

I think Dune the movie is both a disaster and a genius' work. The design and some scenes are unforgettable.
And then the truly great story sinks because the movie becomes too enigmatic and fragmentary

I always loved Nuuskamuikkunen. Thanks for the origin! 
Could you explain to Mattlocked that Moomintroll actually is a good choice for John??? 

October 8, 2012 7:39 pm  #15

Is that other character in the picture Watson? Because it's looks like Niiskuneiti (Snork Maiden) and she's a girl so it might not be the best option for Watson. Although she wears an anklet. So it it Muumipeikko with hair?

October 8, 2012 7:51 pm  #16

It is not Muumipeikko, it is J.H. Muumitson with his own hair and jumper, obviously! A good coat and a short friend...

October 8, 2012 7:53 pm  #17

Dramagod wrote:

Is that other character in the picture Watson? Because it's looks like Niiskuneiti (Snork Maiden) and she's a girl so it might not be the best option for Watson. Although she wears an anklet. So it it Muumipeikko with hair?

It's elementary... 

October 8, 2012 8:00 pm  #18

*rolls eyes, shakes head, turns chin towards heaven in utter despair*

October 8, 2012 8:10 pm  #19

I've no idea what you guys mean but if you're making fun of me I have to destroy you both.

October 8, 2012 8:16 pm  #20

Well roared, lion! 

Board footera