BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2012 9:26 am  #1

New Pictures of Martin filming The World’s End in Welwy

FILM stars Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Martin Freeman are in Welwyn Garden City town centre today (Thursday) shooting scenes for new movie The World’s End.

Following a pre-shoot in WGC last month, cast and crew members were in town again this afternoon (Thursday) to film further scenes for the third episode in Pegg and Edgar Wright’s so-called Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy.

Directed by Wright, the movie follows the pair’s box-office hits Shaun of the Dead in 2004, and 2007’s Hot Fuzz, which was also partly shot in WGC, at the Barn Theatre.

The World’s End stars Pegg as Gary King, who meets up with four childhood friends and gets his reluctant pals to re-attempt a marathon pub crawl through their hometown.

Pegg, Frost and The Office’s Freeman, along with co-stars Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan, were seen in Howardsgate filming the same scene over and over again today.

Watched by hundreds of shoppers and schoolchildren, Pegg, wearing dark glasses and a black Sisters of Mercy T-shirt under a long dark coat while smoking a cigarette, leads the gang across Howardsgate, from near Superdrug in the direction of Wigmores North and the Welwyn Hatfield Times’ former offices.

Pegg’s character then turns to his mates and seems to egg them on. Frost is wearing a cream coloured overcoat and pink shirt, while Freeman – soon to be seen in Peter Jackson’s big budget version of JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit – is wearing a blue suit, blue shirt and blue tie.

The location has been transformed for the shoot, with a huge statue erected in the middle of the Howardsgate green, while rubbish bins have been obscured from view.

While this scene was being repeatedly shot, other members of the film crew were setting up outside The Cork pub nearby.

The Howardsgate pub has been renamed The Famous Cock for the film, while The Parkway Tavern, in Parkway, has become The Cross Hands.

The Doctors Tonic, in Church Road, was called the The Old Familiar for the pre-shoot in September, while The Peartree in Woodhall Lane was transformed into The First Post.

Early promotional posters for the film suggest that these will be the first four pubs the friends visit on their epic pub crawl in the movie.

The film, which also stars former Bond girl Rosamund Pike, is provisionally due for release in August next year.

[img]http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/p1020364_1_1567614!image/2784915297.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/2784915297.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/p1020373_1_1567622!image/3699531988.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/3699531988.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/p1020374_1_1567623!image/1856158916.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/1856158916.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/p1020377_1_1567625!image/688047636.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/688047636.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/p1020359_1_1567612!image/3690649982.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/3690649982.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whtimes.co.uk/polopoly_fs/p1020380_1_1567628!image/1786030289.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/1786030289.jpg[/img]

October 5, 2012 10:26 am  #2

Re: New Pictures of Martin filming The World’s End in Welwy

Aww how loevely he looks 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 5, 2012 10:27 am  #3

Martin Freeman and a dark-haired bloke in a trenchcoat....I feel I've seen this before, somehow....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 5, 2012 11:46 am  #4

Trenchcoat with the collar turned up!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 8:28 pm  #5

So excited for this!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 6, 2012 12:27 am  #6

Davina wrote:

Trenchcoat with the collar turned up!

Yes, but who does it remind me of? Hmmm...can't quite place it. A telly programme from a while ago, maybe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 6, 2012 12:30 am  #7

That is funny - it really does look like Ben as Sherlock from the back.  It's certainly a Sherlock cut coat.  But Martin does not look like John - cute, but not John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 2, 2012 5:44 pm  #8

There have been quite a few new set pictures surfacing this week. 

OCTOBER 30

OCTOBER 31

It looks like Martin may have a bigger part in this one than Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz.  I'm really excited for it.  I'm a huge fan of all things Wright/Pegg/Frost (Spaced is my favorite TV show) and I've been waiting for them to get Martin in for more than a cameo.   

November 2, 2012 6:47 pm  #9

So Simon's hair is dyed black and he's wearing a great coat with the collar turned up. Is this a coincidence or a deliberate reference? Lol!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 2, 2012 7:19 pm  #10

It's a deliberate reference, but not the one that Sherlock fans are looking for.  It's a nod to Simon's former goth days.

November 5, 2012 11:09 am  #11

Martin looks fantastic 

November 6, 2012 11:48 am  #12

That coat is such a Sherlock replica it's unbelievable! It's even got the thing at the back with the two buttons. I feel like I'm in some kind of alternate reality where John wears a blue suit and has his hair slicked back.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 6, 2012 9:09 pm  #13

It looks like Martin Freeman's character is wearing a Bluetooth earpiece -- which is amusing, because he is on record as saying that he thinks they make a person look kinda silly or dumb, or something along those lines.  (This was when he & Amanda Abbington emergency-hosted Stephen Merchant's radio show.)

December 21, 2012 7:24 pm  #14

December 21, 2012 8:30 pm  #15

Okay, that was hilarious.  I'm browsing the first pics, freely admit that besides knowing the famous names, don't really know any of the other actors very well, just thinking oh, cool, Martin in something quite different again..... he looks cool.... *pause... double-take at a certain person in the third pic*  . . .bwuhh?  duuuuude!  ;DD
Hee...  I'm glad someone else posted the latter pics of all the guys, because all the from-the-back initial ones were giving quite an odd sense of confused amusement, wondering if it was some kind of reference!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 7, 2013 10:11 am  #16

Board footera