BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2012 4:25 pm  #1

Has anyone texted Sherlock?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had texted Sherlock on 07544680989 (the number from the pilot)? If so, what did you say? Did you get a reply?
I really want to text the number but I can't think of what to say- were there any text to Sherlock on the show?
(yes, I do understand that he is a fictional character (sadly) but thought the number was so obvious that the bbc might have set something up for it)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Look I'm in shock, I have a blanket.

Holmesless until 2013

September 30, 2012 6:26 pm  #2

Re: Has anyone texted Sherlock?

All numbers are fictional, as are email addresses.
Poke around the forum, there's a thread about it somewhere.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 30, 2012 10:59 pm  #3

absieb wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had texted Sherlock on 07544680989 (the number from the pilot)? If so, what did you say? Did you get a reply?
I really want to text the number but I can't think of what to say- were there any text to Sherlock on the show?
(yes, I do understand that he is a fictional character (sadly) but thought the number was so obvious that the bbc might have set something up for it)

I've no idea what's going to happen...but I just text the number! I said "I'll always believe in you". 

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Imagine if it was someone's actual number, I wonder if they gets texts to Sherlock all the time??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 1, 2012 6:32 am  #4

I sent 3 texts to johns number saying 'baker street, come at once if convenient. SH' 'If inconvenient, come anyway. SH' and of course 'Could be dangerous SH'
Slightly concerned someone has now dashed over to baker street but oh well. Feeling like a cool kid with their numbers on my contact list

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Look I'm in shock, I have a blanket.

Holmesless until 2013

October 1, 2012 10:43 am  #5

In the US when a fictional phone # is given it has a prefix (usually 555) which is not actually in use here anywhere so a real # won't be given. Do the Brits do something similar?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 1, 2012 11:38 am  #6

Not really. Sherlock's phone number has exactly the same number of digits and would work perfectly as a normal mobile number. As of yet, I haven't had a reply. They probably picked one that's not been issued to anyone, I guess they could get a list of spare numbers off phone companies and then that number could be marked off so that no one ever does receive it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 1, 2012 1:08 pm  #7

Honestly guys, save your time & effort.
Most countries have blocks of numbers reserved for 'never to be used' reasons.
Here's Wiki's explanation rather than my muddled one:

"Ranges for fictitious telephone numbers are common in most telephone numbering plans.
One of the main reasons these ranges exist is to avoid accidentally using real phone numbers in movies and television programs because viewers frequently call the numbers used. An example of this situation is with the 2003 film Bruce Almighty. The makers of the movie opted not to use a fictitious exchange, and several people whose phone numbers matched one mentioned in the film were inundated with callers asking for "God", and the number was edited out for television airings of the movie and on most copies of the DVD"

United Kingdom
Ofcom has also reserved certain number ranges for use in television dramas and films, so as to avoid the risk of people having their telephone numbers displayed, and receiving unwanted calls. This is similar to the use of fictitious telephone numbers in the United States and Canada with the digits 555.
In most of the large cities with three-digit area codes a range of numbers is reserved, usually all the numbers starting with the digits 496. For fictitious numbers in other areas the area code 01632 is reserved; this code is not in use, although 0632 was used for Newcastle upon Tyne until the late 1980s (63 = NE). There are also reserved ranges for fictitious mobile, freephone, and premium rate numbers.

The only 'live' contacts were the email addresses for a short time after the series was first released.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 2, 2012 12:00 am  #8

Cheers, kazza. Be interesting to know how many emails they got. 

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 2, 2012 4:11 am  #9

They were automated responses, so who knows how many got them.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 2, 2012 11:52 am  #10

Anyone here get one? What did it say?

October 2, 2012 12:05 pm  #11

Out of Office AutoReply
Richard Brook (Richard@r-brook.co.uk)

Hullo there!

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, I will be out of town and
without access to email for an unknown period of time. For all urgent
requests, please contact journalist Kitty Reilly, and she will be able
to direct your message. Otherwise, please feel free to reply with more
details and I'll be sure to respond when I return!

Thanks from your favourite storyteller,
Richard Brook

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 2, 2012 12:17 pm  #12

More proof Richard Brook was real, LOL!

October 12, 2013 8:47 pm  #13

I just got an email from Richard Brook!! I replied
"I don't believe you're a storyteller. You are a fraud." No reply yet...

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

January 12, 2014 5:21 pm  #14

I just tried ringing the number. I got a Tesco Mobile answerphone! So it seems someone has the number now! I just texted "Good work, Sherlock!" with delivery reports enabled. Let's see what happens! (probably nothing...)

January 13, 2014 9:51 pm  #15

Here's another one: 07955905099 - that's Jeff the cabbie's number, from the actual episode (not the pilot). Ringing it got me the O2 answer phone. I sent "Sherlock says hi. Or he would, if you hadn't lost the game!" Again, I think it won't get delivered.

January 20, 2014 10:19 pm  #16

Oh, you can find them both on Facebook, too.  And they say they're engaged or married. 

Board footera