BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2012 11:49 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes -food and drink

As good a place as any for recipes. There are lots of Sherlock Holmes related recipes out there and now we have a thread for them.

This is a cocktail recipe which does contain alcohol * so look away now if you are below drinking age or do not drink alcohol*

This cocktail is called No S..t Sherlock :
1/3 fluid ounce vanilla schnapps
1/3 fluid ounce watermelon schnapps
1/3 fluid ounce gin
Layer these in a shot glass in the above order. Drink.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 25, 2012 12:09 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes -food and drink

And fall to the floor. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2012 12:12 pm  #3

Reminds me of:
1 tequila
2 tequila
3 tequila
Floor!

Perhaps another cocktail could be named Vatican Cameos?

Last edited by Davina (September 25, 2012 12:13 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 25, 2012 1:38 pm  #4

Why "another"? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 26, 2012 12:59 am  #5

Davina wrote:

Reminds me of:
1 tequila
2 tequila
3 tequila
Floor!

Perhaps another cocktail could be named Vatican Cameos?

or the Reichenbach Fall.

September 26, 2012 1:50 am  #6

This isn't wild like that drink, but how about 'Victoria Sponge' a la Mrs. Hudson (Una Stubbs).  I read in an interview that she likes to bake this:

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch springform pan. Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time mixing thoroughly with each addition. Slowly stir the flour mixture in with the butter, sugar, and eggs. Beat in the milk and vanilla until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan
Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This cake is traditionally served unfrosted, just cut in two horizontally and filled with jam or custard and dusted with confectioners' sugar.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 26, 2012 3:32 am  #7

I can picture the internal dialogue:

Baking is just like chemistry. This should be fun.

And help me to get undrunk.

Anyway, why do people add children's flavours into fermented sugar, and call it a 'real drink'?

Ouch, that is hot. ... John?

September 26, 2012 11:53 am  #8

KeepersPrice wrote:

This isn't wild like that drink, but how about 'Victoria Sponge' a la Mrs. Hudson (Una Stubbs).  I read in an interview that she likes to bake this.

Thanks for the recipe! I think I will poke holes in the form of a smiley face into the top, and fill it with dark chocolate custard (for the wallpaper), and call it a Baker Street Sponge! 

Last edited by NW16XE (September 26, 2012 11:57 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 26, 2012 2:05 pm  #9

As we in Germany seldom use cups to measure... It sounds like a lot of baking powder and liquid stuff compared to only a small amount of flour...?
And is a cup a coffee pot or more likely a tea cup? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 26, 2012 11:44 pm  #10

Looking at my metric measuring utensils...in the US measurement system:

1 cup = 250ml
1/2 cup = 125ml
1 teaspoon is 5ml
1/2 teaspoon is 2.5ml (obviously)

Hope this clarifies things!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

February 24, 2013 2:37 pm  #11

Resurrecting an old thread but I found this golden nugget which is relevant and quite amazing. It's called Cooking for Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson and lists all of Mrs Hudson's recipies from the canon and tells you how to cook them. Let me know if any of you try these.

http://www.yourbook.com/DisplayArea/IP11783-04.pdf

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 24, 2013 3:50 pm  #12

They even list Ship Biscuits 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 24, 2013 4:41 pm  #13

Harriet wrote:

They even list Ship Biscuits

I knew it.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera