BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2012 10:56 am  #1

Role in Bond film 2014

There is a report in the NME today that Benedict is reportedly in the running to play a villain in the 24th 007 movie which is due in 2014, opposite Daniel Craig.

www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-to-play-bond-v/287247

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 25, 2012 11:18 am  #2

Re: Role in Bond film 2014

Davina wrote:

There is a report in the NME today that Benedict is reportedly in the running to play a villain in the 24th 007 movie which is due in 2014, opposite Daniel Craig.

www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-to-play-bond-v/287247

Oh my, I think we have a genuine Movie Star on our hands. I hope being the It boy won't interfere with Sherlock continuing. Obviously I am torn between being pleased for BC and jealous that everyone gets a piece of him now, not just Moftiss. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 25, 2012 11:21 am  #3

Well, so he's turning into the classic baddie? As an antidote I shall have to watch PE all over again.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2012 11:25 am  #4

Thank god as a villain. Was a bit afraid of a second Pierce Brosnan. 

By mistake I just found a German article concerning Bond:
http://www.klatsch-tratsch.de/2012/09/24/benedict-cumberbatch-als-bosewicht-im-nachsten-bond-film/131179

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 25, 2012 11:30 am  #5

Perish the thought!

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 25, 2012 12:08 pm  #6

As long as they don't do anything too terrible to his looks like gruesome scars or shaving off his hair - let the villain come. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2012 12:08 pm  #7

German article says pretty much the same as the English version but where did they get the bit that he is playing Khan in the next Str Trek movie from? I thought that idea had been dealt with ages ago.

However...Daniel and Benedict in the same film and even sharing scenes..ooooo!

Last edited by Davina (September 25, 2012 12:10 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 25, 2012 1:12 pm  #8

September 25, 2012 1:21 pm  #9

In Germany information on Benedict isn't as comprehensive and exact as in Britain … or in this forum … 

September 25, 2012 1:43 pm  #10

As the page is called "klatsch-tratsch" I wouldn't pay too much attention on every bit.
It's translated nothing else but "rumours" 

September 25, 2012 7:10 pm  #11

Oh, interesting. It's not on his imdb yet so we'll see. I'm not opposed - villains are my favorite.

Davina wrote:

However...Daniel and Benedict in the same film and even sharing scenes..ooooo!

Sounds good to me 

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 26, 2012 1:12 am  #12

I wouldn't want him to get type-cast as a villain by Hollywood. It has happened to some good actors.

September 26, 2012 2:10 am  #13

Mattlocked wrote:

Was a bit afraid of a second Pierce Brosnan.

What's wrong with Pierce Brosnan?!?!?    I like Pierce Brosnan.  And I loved Pierce Brosnan in Remington Steele!  (So much so that I videotaped all the episodes--and still have them.)

I do agree with Veecee that I hope he doesn't get typecast as a villain, nor as someone who only does historical dramas.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (September 26, 2012 2:12 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 26, 2012 2:52 am  #14

Sam wrote:

Oh, interesting. It's not on his imdb yet so we'll see. I'm not opposed - villains are my favorite.

No, because it's just a rumour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 26, 2012 5:24 am  #15

Wholocked wrote:

Sam wrote:

No, because it's just a rumour.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "we'll see" but I should have just said "therefore a rumor", heh.

veecee wrote:

I wouldn't want him to get type-cast as a villain by Hollywood. It has happened to some good actors.

I thought this too and if he's in two major films as the villain, that would likely happen. I just love baddies so much, haha...But, for non-selfish purposes it probably wouldn't be for the best for him. Who knows...

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 26, 2012 6:06 am  #16

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Was a bit afraid of a second Pierce Brosnan.

What's wrong with Pierce Brosnan?!?!?    I like Pierce Brosnan.  And I loved Pierce Brosnan in Remington Steele!  (So much so that I videotaped all the episodes--and still have them.)

I do agree with Veecee that I hope he doesn't get typecast as a villain, nor as someone who only does historical dramas.

Pierce Brosnan is "too beautiful" for me. Not enough edges. Always the perfect look. BORING! 

September 26, 2012 6:37 am  #17

I hope that people appreciate his versatility. I think there are few parts he couldn't play. And he's intelligent enough to choose his work accordingly - a musical on a London stage and a Bond villain next and some Sherlock in between. And I wouldn't mind to see him in some really good period drama once in a while. 

September 26, 2012 6:54 am  #18

There is a tendency for British actors to be cast as villains in Hollywood films like the adorabubble Mr. Rickman. James Bond is howeve an iconic British brand and I think Benedict would make a wonderful villain. I am sure he will branch out into other roles and Sherlock is a good guy. I think it would be the role that would appeal to him. Villains are such fun to play.

September 26, 2012 9:56 am  #19

This piece in the Radio Times made me smile, plus there is an opportunity to vote.

www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-09-25/would-benedict-cumberbatch-make-a-good-james-bond-villain

September 26, 2012 11:23 pm  #20

Thanks, Mattlocked, for explaining.  I'll certainly grant you Pierce Brosnan is good-looking!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera