BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2012 7:22 pm  #1

John's Coat

Why does John's coat have patches on both elbows but only on one shoulder? It doesn't match - it's bizzare!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 1, 2012 7:29 pm  #2

Re: John's Coat

It's because it's based on a shooting jacket. These are designed assuming that the shooter is right handed. The patches on the elbows are for when you are lying prone so that the elbows don't wear out and the one on the shoulder is to stop that area wearing out as well. I should say that the gun used would be a rifle not a pistol! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 1, 2012 7:38 pm  #3

Ahhh, now it all makes sense. How did you know that?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 1, 2012 7:50 pm  #4

I'm not sure really? Just some normally useless piece of knowledge that I have picked up along the way! I think the jacket works well for John's character because it is stylish and has a slightly military look to it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 1, 2012 7:53 pm  #5

Oh and one of the other coats he wears, the one with the string ties seems, according to the commentary to be universally hated by producers and writers alike. I think it makes him look like he has been taking styling lessons from Compo in Last of the Summer Wine.

November 16, 2012 2:21 pm  #6

My view only Pros and cons of the jackets

..................................................Pro.......................................................................Con
The black one with leather patches.  great for warmer weather it's cotton .....................It's not waterproof.
The green one............................... at least showerproof............................................personal opinion it's hideous
The tan one....................................waterproof and warm. for winter............................too warm for hot weather

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

November 16, 2012 8:43 pm  #7

In HOUNDS he wears all three of them (not at the same time of course!).
That wouldn't happen in real life. Just imagine the size of his bag.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 25, 2013 9:55 am  #8

The patches on the elbows are for when you are lying prone so that the elbows

In care you're not a spambot please remove the link from your signature. Thanks. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is nothing funny about sexy nurse costumes. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world.

Last edited by SusiGo (June 25, 2013 10:10 am)

Board footera