BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2012 6:02 pm  #1

Wreckers (2011)

I searched for a topic on this movie but didn't find one, so I apologize if I missed it.

I just watched Wreckers this morning and I highly recommend it if you're looking for a movie with LOTS of Benedict in it!  There are practically only 3 characters in the movie - Benedict, his wife, and his brother.  There are a few others but most of the screen time is just these three.  He has some scruffy stubble throughout the movie, but there are several instances of him in bed, shirtless, etc... But maybe you're more interested in the film itself.  I think it was interesting - it's about David (played by Benedict) and his relationship with his wife and his brother.  Both are somewhat tumultuous - his brother because of their past and his brother's PTSD after being in the military, and his wife because of their struggles with infertility.  I didn't really like how either issue was resolved, but Ben's acting was great, as was the rest of the acting in the film.  Lots of beautiful cinematography in the countryside, too.  I was glad to finally find a movie that featured Ben as opposed to him being a minor character (like in Creation and War Horse).  If you've seen it, let me know what you thought.

Last edited by sherlockedkt (September 23, 2012 6:03 pm)

September 23, 2012 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Wreckers (2011)

Saw that film some weeks ago on yt. I think it's wonderfully played. And yes there are love scenes and scenes with him and a baby 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 23, 2012 6:20 pm  #3

Yes, I've seen it twice and enjoyed it, but still have great diffficulties in understanding big parts of the dialogue due to the accent. (No subtitles on the DVD.) I've made some research on the internet in order to understand the plot. There is a helpful video on youtube of a Q&A with the actors and the writer/director.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 23, 2012 6:25 pm  #4

Thank you, Tobe, I have the same problems. I'll have a look at the video.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 23, 2012 6:48 pm  #5

Oh I forgot about the scenes with the baby!  So precious.  I think my ovaries exploded when I saw that. 

September 23, 2012 7:48 pm  #6

LOL mine, too. But who needs ovaries anyway!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 23, 2012 8:18 pm  #7

I didn't have ovaries problems, but also problems to understand everything. I remember one scene when someone was talking while a drill machine was running and I thought: OMG, what next?
But I like the plot and the pictures very much.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 24, 2012 2:04 am  #8

Yeah this film has some hard-hitting issues in it, dealt with very subtly. The history of the boys' childhood; David's constant need to lie rather than be the one in the wrong etc etc etc

I didn't really like David much, but the film is very good. And Benedict is, of course, fricken brilliant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 25, 2012 7:31 pm  #9

Wreckers will premiere on BBC 1, October 3rd, 11.15 p.m.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 25, 2012 7:38 pm  #10

I'll record it then. Thanks for posting!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 5:58 pm  #11

Managed to watch Wreckers on I-player, although as usual the poor connection meant it took longer than it should have done.

It is definitely a film that deals with a number of difficult issues: infertility, abusive childhoods, infidelity, deceit, trauma. I found the relationship between David and his brother to be fascinating. Also memory has an important part to play.

The views of the countryside (either Cambridgeshire or Norfolk, I think) with all that sky, so typically English fenland. I particularly liked the moving shot along the lines of the crops in the field which made it flicker. Also the use of the aircraft crossing the skies, mostly military (there are some major bases in that area) but finally a civilian aircraft.

All performances were very strong in this. There were a few shots which were very Sherlock although Benedict had what I think his natural hair colour in this.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 6:37 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

There were a few shots which were very Sherlock although Benedict had what I think his natural hair colour in this.

You mean this one, for example, Davina?

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 7, 2012 6:46 pm  #13

A very disturbing film in which many things are hinted at, there's a constant sense of threat which contrasts with the often peaceful surroundings. Very well played by all actors.
Sorry, Tobe, but the photo's very dark. At least on my screen. 

P.S. The film was so dark that I didn't understand what happened to Nick at the end. Did Dawn gave him money to go away? But why did she cry and collapse on returning to the house? Maybe I missed something.

Last edited by SusiGo (October 8, 2012 11:17 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 8, 2012 10:18 am  #14

She went to give him the money but he had already left (we never find out where he has gone to or what has happened to him). She collapsed on the floor because she nearly had a miscarriage. She collapses again a little later back at the house and then is in the hospital with David (Ben) telling her that the baby is still ok. We know the baby is the other guy's but does David suspect it is his brother's?

October 8, 2012 10:22 am  #15

Thanks, Davina.
I'm not sure about David's thoughts regarding the baby. I don't really think he knows about her sleeping with their friend. On the other hand there were steps on the stairs while they had sex on the floor but we don't know if it was Nick or David. Nick would be more probable, I guess.

Last edited by SusiGo (October 8, 2012 11:17 am)

October 8, 2012 10:26 am  #16

I know I have to watch this film again.
It was only after reading discussion on it, I realised I'd missed so much.
However, I do think David thinks the baby is not his.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 10:34 am  #17

Yes, he's quite sure about his infertility. But the question is whether he knows who's the father.

October 8, 2012 10:55 am  #18

When they meet up with other couple, after the baby is born, there is no indication from David that he suspects the other man to be the baby's father.

October 8, 2012 12:08 pm  #19

I seemed to think he suspected ,tho.
Like I say, there are SO many layers to this film...I must watch again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 1:08 pm  #20

I wasn't sure during this scene. I couldn't really see many signs, except the chap gets to hold the baby.

Board footera