BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2013 4:46 am  #41

Re: Anyone watching Downton Abbey?

Oh thanks  Ivy,  but...  oh  darn.   waiting is such sweet sorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

October 3, 2013 8:42 pm  #42

Banbha wrote:

I thought I'd already seen a thread on Downton Abbey, but I cannot seem to find it despite my best efforts.

Anyway, I was wondering who here is watching this show--this is yet another that my friends are not familiar with. Maybe I need to host a TV night to get everyone caught up with my favorite non--American shows. I am excited that I've found a way to watch it here in the states now rather than waiting until January or whenever it's supposed to come out here. It's probably in my top 3 favorite shows, Sherlock being number one, of course.

I've just finished the premiere of season three. Anyone else caught up? What did you think?

I've only seen season 1 and 2 and I watched them all together in a clump over the holidays last year. I feel like I should watch them again...

October 29, 2014 6:42 pm  #43

What do you think about the 5. series so far. I think it's a bit boring, unfortunately. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 7, 2014 3:35 pm  #44

Ivy wrote:

What do you think about the 5. series so far. I think it's a bit boring, unfortunately. 

I agree. I'm tired of Edith being miserable, of Mary messing men around and of Bates and Anna. At least there's a wedding on Sunday.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

November 29, 2014 2:19 pm  #45

I was really disappointed with episode 8. I'd thought we would see more of Rose's wedding/wedding dress. Rose's mother is an awful woman. Having Anna arrested, just like Bates in series 2 feels like the writers are running out of ideas. I hope the Christmas Special is good.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 25, 2015 7:08 pm  #46

Has anyone watched the first episode of series 6?

I found it a bit boring. Although the sex talk of Mrs Patmore with Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes was brilliant.OMG.

Last edited by Ivy (September 26, 2015 11:08 am)

----------

September 25, 2015 8:07 pm  #47

In Canada (and the US) the last series doesn't come out until probably January, so I have not seen it even though I am a fan of the show.  Looks like I'll have to be careful not to read spoilers on this forum.

Clueing for looks.

September 26, 2015 10:17 am  #48

Got the first DVD for my birthday :-) now I will start watching and then I can discuss it, too! 

"It is what it is."

October 19, 2015 11:14 am  #49

Now I've seen the second series, yay!
Still like it. Trying to catch up to you all...
What is the newest episode? I'll want to get there till Christmas

Who is your fav character?
What do you find strange?
What touched you most?

Last edited by Whisky (October 19, 2015 11:15 am)

"It is what it is."

October 19, 2015 1:28 pm  #50

Yesterday we've seen episode 5 of the sixth and last series. Three more episodes to go and then of course the CS.

I'll answer the 3 questions when you saw all 6 series

What made you watch it?

I saw the first series in German TV on Christmas 2012 and then was hooked.

----------

October 19, 2015 2:44 pm  #51

Whisky wrote:

Now I've seen the second series, yay!
Still like it. Trying to catch up to you all...
What is the newest episode? I'll want to get there till Christmas

Who is your fav character?
What do you find strange?
What touched you most?

Don't worry Whisky, even though I've seen the first 5 seasons I will still be behind for a while since the UK is always ahead of everyone else in the broadcast (Canada and US don't get it until January, and I might have to catch it on the network that airs it in the spring because I might not get to watch it before then)

But I will answer your questions based on what I've seen so far.
Favourite character(s): Anna, Tom Branson, Mr. Bates, the Dowager Countess Violet Crawley (because of her zingers), although to be honest I like them all at this point.
What I find strange:...interesting question Whisky, I'm not sure if there's anything I find strange.  At the moment, I cannot think of much.  Well, actually, carrying a dead Turk through the corridors would be a strange happening, so I guess that was a strange moment for the characters but it was just so funny and outrageous.
What touched me the most: a spoiler from season 5 which I will put in tags but please Whisky don't look because you need to experience it firsthand without expecting it

The season 5 finale, when they're singing Christmas carols and Mr. Bates is able to be there when we weren't expecting it, and he and Anna get to be together on Christmas.  I was in tears.

But before that, I think maybe some moment between Anna and Bates or something.

Clueing for looks.

October 27, 2015 1:47 pm  #52

Lord, I've just watched last week's episode (the one with someone important's visit).

Lord Grantham's bursting ulcer...It really was impressive. I just...I think I need to lie down.
Mind you, Lady Edith's blooming romance was a tad unexpected -from her, I mean, not from the man ;)
But I liked how no one in the family thought her "meeting with a friend" (reminds me of someone, there) was actually a date.
At first, I thought that Mr. Clarkson might be a man difficult to live with -but his serving the Grantham family has possibly "spoilt" him a bit.

I agree, Ivy, the first episode was a bit boring, apart from the (frankly uncomfortable) sex talk between Mrs Patmore and Mr Clarkson for the benefit of Mrs Hughes. Lord, that part was...though uncomfortable to watch, it was hilarious.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

October 27, 2015 2:37 pm  #53

Lilythiell wrote:

Lord, I've just watched last week's episode (the one with someone important's visit).

Lord Grantham's bursting ulcer...It really was impressive. I just...I think I need to lie down.
Mind you, Lady Edith's blooming romance was a tad unexpected -from her, I mean, not from the man ;)
But I liked how no one in the family thought her "meeting with a friend" (reminds me of someone, there) was actually a date.
At first, I thought that Mr. Clarkson might be a man difficult to live with -but his serving the Grantham family has possibly "spoilt" him a bit.

I agree, Ivy, the first episode was a bit boring, apart from the (frankly uncomfortable) sex talk between Mrs Patmore and Mr Clarkson for the benefit of Mrs Hughes. Lord, that part was...though uncomfortable to watch, it was hilarious.

It was like a horror film, at first I thought they must be joking, what am I watching here?! But I reckon a bursting ulcer doesn't look pretty, why not being realistic about it.
Carson didn't get better in last Sundays episode, he's such an ass. I love Bertie, he's lovely. Marys relationship with das Talbot guy is sooo boring, I couldn't care less.

Last edited by Ivy (October 27, 2015 2:37 pm)

----------

November 12, 2015 10:14 am  #54

Thanks for putting spoilers. I thought I wouldn't mind as I'm not as passionate about Downton as about some other show yet, but it's getting better and better so maybe I should come back here only when I've seen all of it :-)

With "strange" I meant reactions to the period... what surprised you, was new for you, confused you.

I just checked for fanfiction and most of it is about Thomas. I wonder why, really. Is he like the secret lead? No really, it just surprised me. Why is he so popular? Is it because he's the most controversial character?

(Still trying to get my hands on series three...)

Oh, what made me watch it? Easy: people kept mentioning it ;-) and I'm a curious one.

Last edited by Whisky (November 12, 2015 10:18 am)

"It is what it is."

Board footera