BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2013 11:58 am  #101

Re: The Hobbit

Sparrow wrote:

Hahah yeah. Funny. They did it on purpose. I know they did.

They surely did. Peter Jackson is one big fanboy. In an interview he says that he was very upset after Martin had to cancel his role, and so he rewatched The Reichenbach Fall. (In my imagination P.J. holds a bottle of vodka and cries in front of his TV: WHY Martin WHY?!)
He must have been really happy when he got Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch for his film.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 23, 2013 12:07 pm  #102

Mary Me wrote:

They surely did. Peter Jackson is one big fanboy. In an interview he says that he was very upset after Martin had to cancel his role, and so he rewatched The Reichenbach Fall. (In my imagination P.J. holds a bottle of vodka and cries in front of his TV: WHY Martin WHY?!)
He must have been really happy when he got Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch for his film.

I just snorted out loud. Your last phrase made me imagine Peter Jackson plotting to "collect" both of them and laughing derisively and rubbing his hands together mumbling "Mine, my own, mu Preciouses".

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 27, 2013 7:57 pm  #103

In the audio commentary for Love Actually, Richard Curtis said that he saw Martin on the Office and just had to cast him in his next film.  Peter Jackson has said multiple times that Martin is the only Bilbo and he rearranged the Hobbit's shooting schedule so Martin could do Series 2 of Sherlock.  That is a real testiment to Martin's Talent.  I can't imagine anyone else playing Bilbo and doing any where near as awesome a job as Martin did.  My mother read the LotR books (& the Hobbit) with me when I was a little kid, so I've loved the stories for a long time.  When I heard Martin was playing Bilbo, I began looking forward to seeing it even more.  I love the fact that despite not reading the books before being cast, Martin showed respect for the fact that he was playing a beloved iconic character.  He actually read the book before shooting the movie (unlike several of the adults who were cast in the Harry Potter movies).
A lot of people are annoyed that it is being split into three films.  I'm glad.  Peter Jackson geniunely loves the books (like Steve Moffit and Mark Gatiss genuinely love Sherlock.)  There is a lot Peter wants to tell.  It frustrated me to no end watching important parts of the Harry Potter books being cut from the films, or important parts being shown but not really explained why they were important to the story.

Anyway, I always squee a little inside when I see the Necromancer.  It's Benedict!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

April 8, 2013 10:37 am  #104

Finally seen this - I wanted to see it at the cinema, but I was too busy with work.

Impressions:  First, Martin is brilliant, as I knew he would be.  Second, I'm very much looking forward to Bilbo and Smaug's scenes - they will certainly have a bit of subtext for us Sherlock fans.  Third, as a long-time Tolkien fan, I have to say that I'm terribly disappointed.  The movie was well made, and it's as beautiful as the LOTR films, but whereas Peter Jackson made only the most necessary adjustments to the book to fit LOTR to the screen (except for the substitution of Arwen for Glorfindel, for which most Tolkien fans still haven't forgiven him), 'An Unexpected Journey' is horribly unfaithful to the book.

Thranduil (who is a hero in Tolkien's legendarium) did not refuse the dwarves help at Erebor - he was never there.  He probably heard of it only later, and there isn't much he could have done.  He had his hands full protecting his own realm.  Thorin had no particular enmity toward the Elves at the start, and I'll leave it at that for those who don't know the book.

Sauron had been forced from Dol Guldur at the start of the Watchful Peace, but by the time the dragon took Erebor, he had been back for some time.  Thranduil was very aware of this, since it affected his people the most.  Galadriel could have cared less - she had a Ring of Power to protect her realm and never lifted a finger to help Thranduil.  The movie implies that she is somehow more powerful than Gandalf, which is ridiculous.  She was a powerful Elf, but not a Maia.  And the Witch King never 'died' - he fled before Glorfindel (which is why he had to be the Elf to make the flight to the ford in FOTR - no other Elf in Middle Earth could have made that ride).

I did like the bit with Radagast, even if it's contrary to canon.  (Gandalf actually entered Dol Guldur - he found Thrain there and that's how he got the key.)  Fili and Kili are lovely, and Gollum is actually rather adorable in the riddling scene.  The CGI is much better in this film.  And again, Martin is too perfect as Bilbo.  But I really can't forgive making Thranduil into a villain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

April 9, 2013 7:11 pm  #105

erunyauve wrote:

Finally seen this - I wanted to see it at the cinema, but I was too busy with work.

Impressions:  First, Martin is brilliant, as I knew he would be.  Second, I'm very much looking forward to Bilbo and Smaug's scenes - they will certainly have a bit of subtext for us Sherlock fans.  Third, as a long-time Tolkien fan, I have to say that I'm terribly disappointed.  The movie was well made, and it's as beautiful as the LOTR films, but whereas Peter Jackson made only the most necessary adjustments to the book to fit LOTR to the screen (except for the substitution of Arwen for Glorfindel, for which most Tolkien fans still haven't forgiven him), 'An Unexpected Journey' is horribly unfaithful to the book.

Thranduil (who is a hero in Tolkien's legendarium) did not refuse the dwarves help at Erebor - he was never there.  He probably heard of it only later, and there isn't much he could have done.  He had his hands full protecting his own realm.  Thorin had no particular enmity toward the Elves at the start, and I'll leave it at that for those who don't know the book.

Sauron had been forced from Dol Guldur at the start of the Watchful Peace, but by the time the dragon took Erebor, he had been back for some time.  Thranduil was very aware of this, since it affected his people the most.  Galadriel could have cared less - she had a Ring of Power to protect her realm and never lifted a finger to help Thranduil.  The movie implies that she is somehow more powerful than Gandalf, which is ridiculous.  She was a powerful Elf, but not a Maia.  And the Witch King never 'died' - he fled before Glorfindel (which is why he had to be the Elf to make the flight to the ford in FOTR - no other Elf in Middle Earth could have made that ride).

I did like the bit with Radagast, even if it's contrary to canon.  (Gandalf actually entered Dol Guldur - he found Thrain there and that's how he got the key.)  Fili and Kili are lovely, and Gollum is actually rather adorable in the riddling scene.  The CGI is much better in this film.  And again, Martin is too perfect as Bilbo.  But I really can't forgive making Thranduil into a villain.

Huh….  that was, informative…. thanks!   I'll sheepishly admit while I've always been into fantasy books and movies, and definitely enjoyed the LotR films, never got around to actually reading any of those 'epic classics', by him, or others.  So, simply knowing the basic gist of story beforehand, I loved the films anyway.  Interesting to know about Thranduil, though.  And yes, Martin was an absolutely perfect hobbit… 

I don't mind minor tweaks or things that need to be shifted a bit for the sake of time/understanding/needing to simplify (such as leaving a character/moment out here and there), but know what you mean about twisting a character like that.  The thing is, without knowing the characters and plot points necessary to lead through major parts of the story, do you think they created that animosity to keep part of the story moving or 'fill in' for why things happen a certain way later with the elves without having to bring in too much more stuff?  Like, I remember hearing fans annoyed about... Azog?  For being much more of a plot point than should be, probably to give the movie format the necessary conflict/fighting point/part of climax needed.....

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 10, 2013 5:24 am  #106

erunyauve wrote:

... as a long-time Tolkien fan, I have to say that I'm terribly disappointed... unfaithful to the book. etc...

Buckle up for part 2 and 3 then! I do enjoy the dramatisation but as a Tolkienist I am stunned at how different the book and scripts were for LOTR and The Hobbit so I expect no changes in that regard!

However, it looks like there will be more dragon due to fan interest so that's all fine with me

April 10, 2013 6:18 am  #107

I agree that there are a few changes that aren't true to the book but as a story I really enjoyed it.
As for the extra links that Peter Jackson has added to tie The Hobbit to LotR just remember that after Tolkien wrote LotR he went back and tried to edit The Hobbit to include more references but he couldn't work it in. So in some ways Jackson is helping to complete the vision of Tolkien.
Also at the end of the day the movies have to appeal to a wider audience than just Tolkien purests. This is coming from someone that is a big fan of both the books and the movies.

================================================================

April 10, 2013 12:03 pm  #108

Michele wrote:

I agree that there are a few changes that aren't true to the book but as a story I really enjoyed it.
As for the extra links that Peter Jackson has added to tie The Hobbit to LotR just remember that after Tolkien wrote LotR he went back and tried to edit The Hobbit to include more references but he couldn't work it in. So in some ways Jackson is helping to complete the vision of Tolkien.
Also at the end of the day the movies have to appeal to a wider audience than just Tolkien purests. This is coming from someone that is a big fan of both the books and the movies.

Oh, I do realise that some changes have to be made - you need to invent dialogue or action to replace narrative, and the movie has to make sense to people who haven't read the books.  And I know that Peter Jackson's got a bit of a problem in that he hasn't got rights to The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.  I'm not a huge Galadriel fan, however - she's the imperialist who brought her Noldorin way of life to the Silvan Elves, whereas Thranduil and his father adopted the ways of their people.

Really, I'm delighted that Jackson is using the material from the Appendices.  That's the beauty of Tolkien's work - nothing stands alone.  It's all part of a very long, complicated and sometimes contradictory history.  I don't mind some minor changes to simplify things - Azog and his son Bolg are more or less merged, and that works for me.  It's the way they've changed the characters of Galadriel and Thranduil that bothers me.  I have a horrible vision of Galadriel showing up to save the day at the Battle of Five Armies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

April 11, 2013 12:54 am  #109

erunyauve wrote:

I have a horrible vision of Galadriel showing up to save the day at the Battle of Five Armies.

I'm not a huge fan of Galadriel myself. I won't say she is a stand out character for me. I wonder if PJ will bring her into it mosre to increase the amount of women in the story like he's doing with that new female elf. I would hope he wouldn't change the story that much.

April 11, 2013 10:14 am  #110

I have seen the version with Martin Freeman's german talking. It is o.k. but I will buy the DVD just to listen to him and to hear his own voice. You believe everything that he does as if it was real. Sometimes when you watch a film you see that someone is acting. It kind of looks like a performance. But Martin Freeman's performance is really genuine. He is a fantastic actor.

The film itself is IMO not as good as TLOTR. Sometimes I think it is as if Peter Jackson wanted to put everything in it and couldn't stop at the right time. I would have prefered if there were less fight stuff and more Martin's acting.

April 11, 2013 11:31 pm  #111

Be wrote:

The film itself is IMO not as good as TLOTR

I find it really hard to compare the first movie in a trilogy with a complete trilogy. LotR is absolutely amazing! However it's a completed story while the Hobbit is still going. Maybe it's better to compare Fellowship and Unexpected Journey. But even then they are very different beasts. The Hobbit was intended as a children's story while LotR was written as an adults book.

March 27, 2014 11:39 pm  #112

Also on my want to see list.

Havent read the books maybe one day I will.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

April 1, 2014 8:37 pm  #113

In the spirit of April Fool's, the Germans on the forum might get a giggle out of this: http://www.tolkiengesellschaft.de/11754/der-hobbit-smaugs-einoede-erneute-titelaenderung/

April 1, 2014 8:40 pm  #114

LOL   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 2, 2014 8:10 pm  #115

Oh, I found an other funny thing about the Hobbit, although it's not related to the 1st of April. Sadly again, only for German readers :
http://www.abendblatt.de/kultur-live/kino/article126484168/So-teuer-wirds-wenn-Hobbits-und-Zwerge-kaempfen.html
About the content: A German insurance company had calculated how much damage Thorin & co. had caused during Hobbit 1 & 2. Honestly, I have no idea, what knowledge the company gained from that .

Last edited by stoertebeker (April 2, 2014 8:11 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 9, 2014 11:47 am  #116

Dem Smaug seine Einöde, ja, ist klar. Wtf XD

I really love these films! The only thing I find strange is Tauriel. It's a bit too cliched that there is a romance between a beautiful she-elve and a brave warrior. Aragorn and Arwen. '
In addition, Evangeline Lily isn't my favourite actress but nevermind. Freeman, Cumberbatch and McCoy make the compensation <3
Peter Jackson did a great job with the movies. The book was wonderful but the film version isn't worse =)
O yes and the short time Saruman was one of the good people ... Too sad. '

Last edited by Nelaime (June 9, 2014 11:49 am)

Nach der Heide
im kargen Land
Sand wie Kreide
sonnenverbrannt

Wo sonst leben
die Verbannten?
Hier bin ich

stolz
– J. Magold

June 12, 2014 10:43 pm  #117

Have finally seen part 1 & 2 and have to say I loved them.  I'm easy pleased *sometimes*

Is it odd I want a pet Smaug lol be interesting taking him walkies.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

June 13, 2014 12:09 am  #118

TiggyDoolittle wrote:

Is it odd I want a pet Smaug lol be interesting taking him walkies.

OH NO not at all
I want that too!
..Or maybe just his voice!

Well, I loved the first and second film! Can't wait for the third one!! I've read the book like three times now and I am afraid of what's going to happen in the third movie.  

June 13, 2014 11:17 pm  #119

Smaug's pooper scooper.

Sorry I have taken it too far haha.

Benedict Cumberbatch

November 6, 2014 6:10 pm  #120

Brand new trailer for third movie! Just aired! Someone hold me, I'm shaking!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Fv5StfAxA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera