BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2012 8:36 am  #81

Re: The Hobbit

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 20, 2012 1:15 pm  #82

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 20, 2012 6:41 pm  #83

Love it.  ;D  (the above post... although yes, yes, the movie too...  ;))   Mmm... solving crimes?  Or one of them just being a little thief and the other having to use his great intelligence to catch?  ;D  ;D   It reminds me of this sketch I came across:    http://saisoto.deviantart.com/art/You-can-be-the-dragon-315962344?q=gallery%3Asaisoto%2F26849152&qo=5
;D   Heee...  seriously, it's so amusingly cool (especially for the resulting quips and humor) that they both got to work in this.  Can't wait for the next film!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 21, 2012 1:23 am  #84

Ivy, that's hysterical!  Thanks for sharing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 21, 2012 7:57 am  #85

Ivy and Russell, thanks for sharing, they really made laugh. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2013 3:59 am  #86

love these links you guys!

Yeah, I'm late.   I finally saw The Hobbit today!   Martin was truly perfect in the role.   I had had enough pre-viewing coaching re: what style of viewing
to choose...  I went all out with the 3D IMAX / high frame rate business, (I found one of the 2 theaters that can handle it here in northern California)
but really I also look forward to another viewing in simple 2D to compare.   (decisions... 24 vs. 48 frames per sec? 2K vs 4K spatial resolution?
IMAX or non-IMAX 3D?...whew.)

All that aside, what I continue to be struck with is how touching and honest anything Martin Freeman does.   I had just re-read the 1st half of the book,
and actually don't really mind the slow pace of a story if it's well told.   It's not a complex story,  but it's a tremendous other-world to live in for awhile.

I was quite moved with his performance toward the end (his final scene with Thorin, and Bilbo's compassion in sparing Gollum in particular-)- 
the only annoyance for me was those silly 3D glasses getting fogged up/blurred when one weeps. ooops. I found myself thinking if Reichenbach Fall
had been in 3D,  it would have been one  big foggy mess sniffling and cleaning those glasses with my popcorn/tearstained handkerchief.   

I LOVED the 10 minute Star Trek 3D preview.  exciting New Year ahead!

January 7, 2013 6:32 pm  #87

Have you seen this, it's absolutely beautiful.

http://madshobbithole.wordpress.com/

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 7, 2013 8:36 pm  #88

Wow! What an amazing project and so nice that it as gone to a good home. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 8, 2013 7:27 am  #89

Wow......  very nice.....
And coming at this right while listening to "Song Of The Lonely Mountain" for the Nth time again....  ;)  (seriously, it's one of the most beautifully deep songs that gets me every time, if you haven't heard it yet, or lately).

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 9, 2013 4:35 pm  #90

The Hobbit is now one of my favorite movies. Martin Freeman plays his part so perfect. I could literally watch it the whole day   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 1:20 pm  #91

I finally watched this yesterday evening and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The effects, costumes,, cinematography and performances were generally excellent.

January 11, 2013 11:02 pm  #92

I deliberate whether I should watch the movie for the third time... Maybe, maybe I'll just wait for the DVD release.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 11:26 pm  #93

Same here. Hubby would like to go a third time. But I would prefer my sofa - and the undubbed version on dvd...

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 12, 2013 7:05 pm  #94

Second Hobbit time for me today. Hard to find a theatre showing the original version now. As I was in Cologne anyway I took the opportunity. Definitely a film to watch on the big screen - though I would buy the DVD too.
I fully understand why Peter Jackson wanted Martin and only Martin to be Bilbo. He is just wonderful.
Oh that sequence with him and Gollum!
The second part finally will present us with more of Benedict's presence. The Necromancer/Smaug glimpses were not much  indeed, but more than nothing.
For the time being, I was pleased with his name to appear in the credits.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 12, 2013 7:29 pm  #95

I love Martins facial expressions so much! The scene with Gollum was great and I also loved the beginning in his house.
Lucky you, always catching the OmU versions.... That's why I prefer waiting for the dvd now.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 23, 2013 10:28 am  #96

I'd been waiting for this for ages. I am a major Tolkein geek. And now it's finally here. And I have to wait for the next one. The most frustrating thing about good television/cinematography is waiting. 

But anyway, I thought it was brilliant. I love that it's so true to the book and I love how they made the connection to the Lord of The Rings. Peter Jackson for the win!

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

February 23, 2013 11:00 am  #97

Sparrow wrote:

I'd been waiting for this for ages. I am a major Tolkein geek. And now it's finally here. And I have to wait for the next one. The most frustrating thing about good television/cinematography is waiting. 

But anyway, I thought it was brilliant. I love that it's so true to the book and I love how they made the connection to the Lord of The Rings. Peter Jackson for the win!

I couldn't agree with you more than I already do. I had loved the book since I was six years old - and I still do!  (When people say they do not know the book, I always tell them that they apparently didn't have a happy childhood.) In my opinion the movie is brilliant and deserves an oscar! I hope they'll get more nominations for the next part of the trilogy. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 23, 2013 11:19 am  #98

Mary Me wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more than I already do. I had loved the book since I was six years old - and I still do!  (When people say they do not know the book, I always tell them that they apparently didn't have a happy childhood.) In my opinion the movie is brilliant and deserves an oscar! I hope they'll get more nominations for the next part of the trilogy. 

Yes, hopefully they will. Personally, I am dying to see how they develop the whole thing. For one thing, I want to see what Smaug looks like. And then, I want to see how they deal with the Necromancer, as that was not so emphasized in the book and, well I haven't read all the additional material at the end of all the books. *bows head in shame*

Last edited by Sparrow (February 23, 2013 11:19 am)

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

February 23, 2013 11:30 am  #99

Something I find rather funny about the whole thing: Bilbo (Martin Freeman) is the hobbit, who symbolizes all good things about Middle Earth while Smaug/The Necromancer (Benedict Cumberbatch) symbolizes every bad about Middle Earth. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 23, 2013 11:40 am  #100

Hahah yeah. Funny. They did it on purpose. I know they did.

Board footera