BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2015 4:40 pm  #261

Re: The Hobbit

Hope you enjoy it! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 9, 2015 8:17 pm  #262

Yay! 
Oh, and didn't see any reply, just curious if anyone else enjoyed that last video I posted?  Or question about the Arkenstone?  Boyd is so great… perfect bringing it full circle having him sing the ending 'goodbye'.  Beautiful song. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 9, 2015 8:49 pm  #263

I don't know what happened to the Arkenstone!  I suppose it just turned out to be not the point any more .   My son says it got ditched in favour of action scenes!

I loved the video - really like this song (after not really liking the Ed Sheeran one from the last one, sorry).   And the video was poignant.  It's the end of an era - so many years of going to see Tolkien films in the cinema and now it's over.   It's sad saying goodbye to those characters and that world. 

January 9, 2015 10:33 pm  #264

The Arkenstone...I'm pretty sure that the Extended Edition will show the funeral of Thorin, Fili and Kili, as well as Dain's coronation. The Chronicles book had information about both scenes, including images. So I guess we'll see what becomes of the Arkenstone then. 

What if Bilbo is the one to lay it on Thorin's chest? *lip trembles*

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 10, 2015 11:25 am  #265

Well. Enjoyable. Trying just a little too hard at times to work on the audiences emotions I felt. Martin and the rest of the cast did a really good job. The comic interlude character was a bit unnecessary and pointless, IMO. We stayed to listen to the final song during the credits but it was incredibly annoying that most other people got up, wandered out, chatted etc. (I loved Ed Sheeran's song for the last one- as an aside). Special effects etc. were great on this. Costuming very strong too. Isn't the acorn just conveniently in Bilbo's  pocket when really he was looking at the Arkenstone? Overall I am really glad I saw this on the big screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 14, 2015 5:38 pm  #266

January 15, 2015 4:17 pm  #267

January 15, 2015 11:57 pm  #268

Thinking a bit more about the film: too much CGI (one classic example was Billy Connolly) and changing from/adding to the original story. I assume this was done to make three decent length films and in one case to add a romantic frisson but was  really unnecessary. And why did Bard the Bowman have those irritating children? This changed the whole dynamic of his character i.e. selfless bravery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 16, 2015 7:25 am  #269

I agree, Davina.  I don't know anybody at all who liked the romance, or even found it believable in that setting.   Hadn't thought about Bard but you're right - those changes alter people's motivations. 

(Still loved the film, though!)

January 16, 2015 8:19 am  #270

The worst thing about the third film was the dialogue, it was almost as bad as new Star Wars dialogues (nothing can beat them!). Sadly enough, once they reduced Tolkien into a mere pretext to do epic scenes they lost all capacity of making heros talk like real persons.

January 16, 2015 9:23 am  #271

Agree wholeheartedly. Unsurprising that it has had 0 Oscar nominations. The romantic triangle was just daft. I assume the children were introduced to appeal to other kids (epic FAIL, they will just find them equally irritating). Their 'Da! Da!' Honestly! It is never a good sign when you find yourself giggling (and not in a good way) when you know that is not the intention of the film. Some great performances despite the obstacles put in their way. Apart from excessive GCI some of the other FX, costuming and makeup were really good.

January 16, 2015 9:27 am  #272

The Hobbit got one nomination, but it was a minor one. I find it a bit sad, to be honest. LotR wiped the table with the Oscars and with their popularity. And now The Hobbit doesn't. I don't really have the heart to criticise the movie(s). Not because I think they are flawless, but because I'm too in love with the world Peter Jackson has created for Tolkien to feel anything but sad that this hasn't gotten the popularity LotR did.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 10:08 am  #273

To be honest, I understand the decision of the academy. My family and I have watched LOTR again and again and all four of us were disappointed by The Hobbit trilogy. Too much technology, not enough coherent story-telling and simply not enough material for so many hours. I am really not sure if Peter Jackson did himself (and the fans) a favour with this. The material would probably have made one good two or three hour film but the trilogy feels very thin and stretched to me. 
IMO the last one is the best of the three (the second one being the weaket) but even this feels like a pale copy of LOTR. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 16, 2015 10:09 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2015 10:17 am  #274

I can't contribute much here simply because I stopped watching after Hobbit 1.

Too many noisy battles, way too many special effects, some good jokes, more cheap jokes, and no hope anything would get better in Hobbit 2 and 3. I don't need any more dead orcs in all my life 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 16, 2015 10:17 am  #275

Harriet wrote:

... and no hope anything would get better in Hobbit 2 and 3.

Ben as Smaug? That alone is worth watching the movie for! (And Martin as Bilbo, in my opinion).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 10:18 am  #276

No, these few minutes don't make up for hours of boredom.
The pain, the horror ...

Last edited by Harriet (January 16, 2015 10:19 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 16, 2015 10:29 am  #277

I greatly enjoyed all three movies. I didn't find them as great as LotR (who I still view as the best entertainment movies ever made). But it still felt wonderful returning to PJ's Tolkien, I felt priviliged to be allowed back into that world. I loved seeing Gandalf, Elrond, Legloas, Saruman and the rest again. The music, the great landscape sweeps, the atmosphere - it was so joyful just to return to what I thought I would never see again, that alone was worth it for me.

Then to my insane delight, we get Ben and Martin. (And some fine-looking dwarves as an extra bonus). I was in heaven. 

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 11:02 am  #278

I just felt I had seen it all before, and much better and more convincing, in the three LotR films. I was already bored after the first Hobbit movie but decided to give it another try, also because of Smaug, yes. And it was kinda nice. But from a non-fangirl point of view... thanks, but no thanks.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2015 5:35 pm  #279

All I can say is that I have read many great reviews, so they did something right. Most people seem pretty happy. I've seen a few whiners, mostly on Facebook. Throwing tantrums because they didn't get everything they wanted. Not much point complaining now...

Last edited by kittykat (January 16, 2015 5:39 pm)

January 16, 2015 6:06 pm  #280

And very unseeemly to do so....I wondered how Amanda felt about no nom for Martin.

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2015 6:06 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera