BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2014 6:43 pm  #201

Re: The Hobbit

Hilarious!
Video on youtube was blocked in between, but never mind, ReReader posted the functioning one in "Benedict´s non Sherlock work" thread. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 12, 2014 11:34 pm  #202

I just got back...I'm in shock and I really need a hug 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 13, 2014 1:03 am  #203

*hugs*

Are you going to go again?

December 13, 2014 1:06 am  #204

Oh, definitely! Must be a glutton for punishment...gonna go by the cinema tomorrow and see what they've got for the next few days. 

I loved the film, very much. But it broke my heart. Thorin and Bilbo's last scene...and the acorn!!!! 

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 13, 2014 1:17 am  #205

Great movie. I didn't lose it until Bilbo did. Darn, Martin is a great actor.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 13, 2014 1:25 am  #206

I love the acorn scene and mithril shirt scene <3

December 13, 2014 4:26 pm  #207

I think the Hobbit is a great film, it also includes many great actors.

Could be dangerous.

December 13, 2014 4:35 pm  #208

Got some tickets for repeat viewings; one tomorrow and one for Wednesday ^^

Also...I'm still a little emotional about that acorn scene 

December 14, 2014 5:50 pm  #209

Got back from my second viewing. I think I enjoyed it a bit more this time around, mainly because I knew what was coming and wasn't in shock 

A few thoughts;

Bard's relationship with his kids is very sweet, and they're all so protective of each other ^^
Dain is a complete badass and I love Billy Connolly's accent
Alfrid is a weasel
Love Richard's portrayal of Thorin's gold sickness, he was fantastic in this film
Love the scene with the acorn and the mithril shirt, very sweet little scenes there
Martin is always perfect as Bilbo ^^
The scene on the gate was heartbreaking 
Ravenhill was awesome and very sad, love how Fili and Kili took a little spotlight even though they met a sticky end 
Thorin's death...poor Bilbo  And they used a line from the book...
Bilbo couldn't even say what Thorin meant to him...

December 14, 2014 8:42 pm  #210

I've just seen it for the first time today.  I agree with all you've said above, and I take back all I said about wanting it to be more like the book - I just forgot about the book, and loved this version and the ties to LOTR.  I can see why you needed a hug after the first time, Kittykat ... I forgot tissues and was having to use my scarf.  The feels!  As my son would say. 

Surprisingly, what really pushed me over the edge was just a little thing ..

... tears in Thranduil's eyes.  I didn't expect to see that

Legolas

was such a sweetie!   Damn!  Running about saving everybody, and taking virtually no credit for it.  It was a quite a departure from the cocky elf of LOTR but I suppose I can accept that he was much younger then.  But all his altruism and heroism felt so unrecognised here, except by us, the audience.  Bless him

Loved the cameos - Christopher Lee as Saruman adding to the list of his action scenes, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel being completely badass, Billy Connolly as Dain was fun (great facial hair).   I'd like to have seen more of

Beorn

I even loved the battle scenes, though I didn't expect to.

I have some minor gripes (I've never really taken to Azog as a villain, I'm not too keen on some of the comedy parts or some of the completely unbelievable parts

like Legolas running up falling masonry

but loved it so much.   Richard Armitage was standout for me this time - he was mesmerising.  It's really worth seeing on the big screen, I think, if anybody is in any doubt.  It's beautiful to look at.

Last edited by Liberty (December 14, 2014 8:43 pm)

December 14, 2014 10:59 pm  #211

Glad you liked it! Bilbo during Thorin's death scene, though...

December 15, 2014 6:38 am  #212

What impressed me was that when I see Richard Armitage in interviews, he seems almost a bit shy. Quiet, doesn't take up much space, slightly shy. VERY different from Thorin. It always fascinates me to see when quiet actors manages to portray very out-there characters in a believable way.

I couldn't watch when Kili was murdered. I knew it was going to happen, so I watched through my fingers. 

But I didn't shead a tear - until Bilbo did. That was heartbreaking, because he was so beliveable. 

Legolas has always been over the top, with his shield-surfing, oliphant-killing and masonry-climbing. It's not realistic for a second, but darn entertaining!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 8:19 am  #213

Yes, Bilbo was completely believable in that scene. 

I don't know if it was better or worse knowing that the deaths were coming.  (I imagine most of us knew who was going to die).   I was rooting for Thorin to get better and get out there, and at the same time hoping that they'd stay put.   I knew they wouldn't but in that glorious moment when they charge out I was willing them to turn around and run back in again!  

I know they've always done some silly stuff with Legolas, but to be honest, this seemed the silliest yet.   I get that he's meant to be ridiculously deft and agile, but he shouldn't be able to hold back the hands of time, Prince of Persia style, to climb falling masonry.   It didn't entertain me - it pulled me out of the moment.

I love Thranduil, and Lee Pace ... although I don't know him very well.  I saw The Fall a few years ago and loved it, and have seen him in a couple of things since - I haven't noticed him as being an amazing actor so much as having a sort of presence.  That presence is magnified with Thranduil and I love him in that part. 

He's such a cold character, but when he looked at all the dead elves, I felt he wasn't just thinking of numbers.   He had them turn back years ago, but sent them to their deaths this time.  But that scene with Legolas, when he talks about his mother and you realise that it has been too painful to even speak about for all those years - it was so much more moving than I'd expected.

.  I thought all his scenes were great.

December 15, 2014 8:23 am  #214

I agree. Thranduil made an impact. I wasn't able to just dimiss him as an insignificant and cold bastard, I felt there was so much more to him. Intriguing character, and very well played.

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 12:59 pm  #215

Can we talk about the acorn scene? How sweet was that? 

December 15, 2014 1:01 pm  #216

kittykat wrote:

Can we talk about the acorn scene? How sweet was that? 

Lol, you really fell for the acorn scene. It was quite cute, but I also find it a bit Hollywood-mushy. Best part of the scene for me was that it was one of the few things that got through to Thorin, only for it to be ruined when the news of the Dale people came.

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 1:12 pm  #217

I'm really happy that they included the mithril shirt scene, and not just for continuity. Thorin described it as a token of their friendship, which was lovely ^^

December 15, 2014 7:01 pm  #218

December 15, 2014 7:02 pm  #219

Oooh - deleted scene?

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 7:20 pm  #220

I knew such scene must exist!
It´s quite incomprehensible for me why they left it out of the movie version (leaving silly Alfrid scenes in).
(Maybe they didn´t want to make movie even sadder than it already is?)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera