BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2012 3:10 am  #1

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH KEEN TO DO A MUSICAL

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/286124/Benedict-Cumberbatch-keen-to-do-a-musical

(excerpt And the 35-year-old even has the ideal show in mind. “I would love to do musicals,"  he tells us. “My voice is all right, I’ve got a reasonably good tenor.
“I’d like to revive a musical called City Of Angels that I was so impressed with.

Nice idea, lovely choice of musical also.

The time is right for Ben to try a different medium again; it'd do him the world of good as it would return him to his 'big plan' of mixing it up.
As much as he loved the character in Parade's End, I'd hate to see him do another similar project anytime soon; and I think he's flogged a few too many movies of late.
Time for a change Ben!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 17, 2012 3:21 am  #2

Re: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH KEEN TO DO A MUSICAL

That would be amazing for him, not so much for us cause we'd have to fly to London if we wanted to see it!

Right now he's hot property though, the offers will be coming thick and fast. Gotta keep that momentum going I guess. Though he's filmed enough in the past 12 months to keep us all going for years!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 17, 2012 3:27 am  #3

He doesn't need to keep offers coming thick & fast. He's said many times he enjoys being able to change from one type of production to another.
He doesn't do it for the money, he's quite well off without ever acting again. He loves the performances, loves to extend himself.
If he keeps taking movie roles, he will soon tire & be bored and start shying away from it all.
I was reading earlier somewhere how people think he needs to stay in Hollywood; good lordy no! If he does that he will sell out on himself and on the British entertainment industry and I cannot see him doing that!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 17, 2012 3:33 am  #4

I saw City of Angels on Broadway. It was good. It cleverly went between B&W and color on stage. I don't remember a Brit in it, so maybe Ben would have to pull out an American accent.

September 17, 2012 3:36 am  #5

He's done the accent before but would it be needed?
Especially if he played Stone the detective. I think he's played a detective type role before somewhere ....

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 17, 2012 3:40 am  #6

kazza474 wrote:

I think he's played a detective type role before somewhere ....

Really? I thought I'd seen most of his backlog of performances. Which role was that? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 17, 2012 3:49 am  #7

Wholocked wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

I think he's played a detective type role before somewhere ....

Really? I thought I'd seen most of his backlog of performances. Which role was that? 

Oh umm... name escapes me right now.
For some reason I hear my little people whispering 'Shlock" or something.
I'll get back to you on that one.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 17, 2012 6:25 am  #8

Yes, I heard of that, too. Quite a flop with viewers, though. Maybe he shouldn't try another detective part. 

Kazza, I think you're right I can't imagine him doing only Hollywood from now on. He's so versatile and I doubt that there are so many adequate parts on offer. A musical in London would be definitely nice, I'd seriously think about hopping on a plane and going over. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 17, 2012 6:32 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 17, 2012 6:39 am  #9

Many, many actors combine a career in film with other activities, even acting on stage, without having to live in Hollywood and all its madness. Ewan Macgregor is an example. I am sure Ben is astute enough to pick and choose which roles to take on and it is quite possible that he may opt for a relatively low-budget affair, such as Third Star, just because the part interests or challenges him. Whatever he chooses to do I am sure it will be, in the immortal words of Arthur Shappey BRILLIANT!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 17, 2012 7:16 am  #10

And AMAZING. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 17, 2012 9:54 am  #11

Oh definitely. I just wouldn't be surprised to see him ride it for another year and then go to stage work. He's done quite a few mini-series' too, not just films :-)

September 17, 2012 10:33 am  #12

kazza474 wrote:

He's done the accent before but would it be needed?
Especially if he played Stone the detective. I think he's played a detective type role before somewhere ....

Hey...you guys have the accent.  We don't

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 23, 2012 12:15 pm  #13

What, really?
Wow, I would love to see that!
He has such an amazing voice, I always thought he should sing..

September 23, 2012 12:28 pm  #14

He DID sing on some occasions. I remember him singing in "To the Ends of the Earth" and "Murder is Easy".

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 23, 2012 1:07 pm  #15

Yes, and also in some interviews

September 23, 2012 3:40 pm  #16

And on Cabin Pressure.

September 23, 2012 6:51 pm  #17

Oooh I'd love to see him in a musical!  I love Ben, I love musicals... if the two were to combine I'd probably explode!

September 24, 2012 2:00 am  #18

And they all go nuts over "You're Gorgeous" in the car in Stuart: A Life Backwards

Board footera