BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2012 1:12 am  #1

Sherlock Intervention

Let's imagine that our family, friends, coworkers, pets, etc have decided to stage an intervention for our Sherlock addictions.

How would your loved ones and associates complete this sentence?

"Your addiction to Sherlock has affected me in the following ways:..."

September 17, 2012 1:15 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Intervention

My husband: "You spend hours every night on the computer pinning pictures of Benedict.  You never relinquish the remote and insist on watching the Sherlock DVDs every day.  If I try to watch something else, you go in the other room and watch Sherlock on your laptop.  When I try to talk to you, you occasionally shout, 'BORED!' and flop over on the couch."

My sister: "Every time I log on to Pinterest I see 10 million Sherlock/Benedict posts that end up burying the posts I actually want to see.  Every conversation we have is littered with references to the commentary interviews on your Sherlock DVDs.  When we hang out you insist on showing me the new pic of Benedict's eyes, smile, hands, etc that you've found online, even though it looks exactly like the pictures you showed me the last time we hung out."

My students: "Now and then you drop off in the middle of a sentence to gaze longingly at the laptop screen on your desk... What is that about?  Also, it hurts our feelings when we make a mistake only to hear you say, 'Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.'"

My cats: "After owning us for years, you are trying to convince your husband to change our names so that they reference Sherlock characters.  Also, you stay up too late reading fanfics and forget to feed us."

My coworkers: "We're just not sure why you randomly refer to each of us in turn as Anderson...?  Does that have something to do with Sherlock?"

September 17, 2012 2:33 am  #3

My husband: You made me buy a purple shirt.

September 17, 2012 5:22 am  #4

Isn't this rather personal?   LOL

well,  my  kitty  happens to LOVE  it  when I sit down  to watch our  Sherlock. It's our time together.   She gets to cuddle up on my lap.   My  mother  would  just roll her eyes and say  my  obsessions  with Sherlock,  Merlin,  and Dr who  are like a teenager's. 

I say,  you only live once,  don'tcha?   enjoy  it  if you can afford it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 17, 2012 9:22 am  #5

sherlockedkt wrote:

Let's imagine that our family, friends, coworkers, pets, etc have decided to stage an intervention for our Sherlock addictions"

.. they would have absorbed enough Doyles/Sherlock from me to start with the words "we are aware this intervention will not change anything".

;)

September 17, 2012 9:49 am  #6

You spend 18 hours a day on the computer doing Sherlock stuff, it's difficult to engage you in conversation unless it's to talk about Sherlock. If we try and change the subject you just start using quotes from the series instead. You spend the whole day in a dressing gown and have bought a skull and a riding crop. You've bought a whole new wardrobe just to dress like Sherlock and have started playing your violin in the middle if the night when we're asleep. You've ruined the mantlepiece by stabbing letters into it. You never go out unless it's to a Sherlock meet up or to shop for more clothes for your outfit, not to mention getting your hair cut and dyed to try and look more like your hero. You spend all your money on Sherlock related items and some of our money too. If you don't get your seven per cent solution of Sherlock, you get agitated and edgy, you are addicted and we want to help you!

My response:
Mm, what? Oh yes, black two sugars, I'll be upstairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 17, 2012 10:23 am  #7

Can't imagine my people staging an intervention:

My mother is an enabler: she is glad it's just telly, and not drink or drugs.
My neice shares it, we are codependent.
My sister says, 'Really? Haven't seen it,' in her bored voice and changes the subject.

My father sat down to watch ASiP with me, laughed at all the right bits, said, 'Well, that young man certainly isn't Basil Rathbone, is he? Are there more of these?' I left him with my series 1 DVDs and a copy of A Study in Scarlet; before I was even out of the room he was on the phone to his brother, telling him about his new favourite show. 

Last edited by NW16XE (September 17, 2012 10:23 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 17, 2012 10:34 am  #8

Hats off to your father, he sounds great. And, yes, Benedict certainly isn't Basil Rathbone although they both have funny names. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 17, 2012 10:35 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 3, 2012 10:46 pm  #9

My mom was telling me that she might actually have her daughter back now that I finished the complete collection of Sherlock books....nah. I'll read it again. then watch the movies. and repeat the cycle. again.and again. and again. they'll never get dull....if they ever do, I'll have to yell, "BORED!!!" but that's not going to happen, is it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 4, 2012 7:36 am  #10

No, never.
My husband starts wondering already if I don't get bored, but I watched it only 3 times until now.
And I didn't start the canon, yet.
Some people never understand..... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 4, 2012 10:31 pm  #11

Only one of my friends knows about my addiction but she just shakes her head sadly and rolls her eyes at me quoting quotes constantly.
My Dad is vaguely interested but prefers more "mature" films.
My Mum just rolls her eyes and says "You've watched them once, that's enough.", So I'm like "No, Mum. I've watched them at least 5 time by now!"
My Sister has far too many of her own obsessions (Dragon's, Pokémon, Computer programming) but has watched all the episodes.
The worst bit is when we have a film night and no-one wants to watch what I choose so I just sit in the corner of the room on my laptop on this forum!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

October 4, 2012 10:43 pm  #12

Ah, it's a bummer when "real life" close fam/friends don't understand. But that's why we have these forums, eh?

I've had many obsessions in my life so my family is totally used to me obsessing about something and it doesn't bug them. But, I do try and keep to myself about it most of the time. Luckily, my sister loves it and I'm getting a couple friends into it. Still, the internet is really the only place I can talk to people about it as much as I want

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 9, 2012 10:46 pm  #13

horserider99 wrote:

My mom was telling me that she might actually have her daughter back now that I finished the complete collection of Sherlock books....nah. I'll read it again. then watch the movies. and repeat the cycle. again.and again. and again. they'll never get dull....if they ever do, I'll have to yell, "BORED!!!" but that's not going to happen, is it?

Once you get into the Sherlock Holmes world, you'll discover it's a really massive place and I honestly don't think it's even possible to get through everything. There are SO many different films, TV versions, books & stories, it really can go on forever!

December 3, 2012 12:08 am  #14

There would be no intervention for me.

Because, like a manipulative crack addict, I have systematically set about getting those close to me hooked too. Now they too are members of the fandom (or at least in no position to get on their high horse and pontificate about it because they have tried it themselves.) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 5, 2012 3:28 pm  #15

My mom indeed likes my liking Sherlock... She thinks I might have finally found a hobby and she hopes my admiration towards all the characters and actors are at least the proof that I am a teenage girl

My brother would just go the Sally way and say I'm a freak and try to make me tell him what UMQRA means.

My Father doesn't care about my fandom... But astonishingly he remembers what I say.... that doesn't happen very often.

My friends would say I annoy them by talking English all the time so they don't understand what Pitagor and I am blabbing about.

And I think if there ever were an Sherlock intervention I'd have Pitagor standing behind me and she would probably start screaming or beating them up because they insulted Sherlock...

I think the first one to nag about my Sherlock love would be my sleep... The decision "Sleep or Sherlock" is tough...

MK

December 5, 2012 4:00 pm  #16

Lelli wrote:

I think the first one to nag about my Sherlock love would be my sleep... The decision "Sleep or Sherlock" is tough...

MK

I'd have thought the answer to that one was obvious... Sherlock of course. 

I don't need sleep. I can sleep any time I like. On the train, in a cab, during my castings, when I should be working etc...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 5, 2012 4:05 pm  #17

Could you please tell that my teachers?

To alter a quote a bit:
S: It's impossible to sustain a good Sherlock habit on Schooldays. Bad for fangirldom.
J: Good for sleeping...
S: Oh, sleeping... who needs sleeping... sleeping's boring...

December 5, 2012 4:48 pm  #18

Lelli wrote:

To alter a quote a bit:
S: It's impossible to sustain a good Sherlock habit on Schooldays. Bad for fangirldom.

Could not have said that better myself. 

December 5, 2012 8:58 pm  #19

Mnemosyne wrote:

Lelli wrote:

To alter a quote a bit:

Could not have said that better myself. 

Haha so true.

That reminds me...this weekend just gone, I went over to my friend's house (who posts on here occasionally under the screen name Morton). I drove over on Saturday night after playing a gig with my band. Arrived at her house about 4am. We watched the whole of Series 2 and were up till 8am, then we watched the documentary, then we got changed into cosplay and drove to London for a Sherlock meet up, listening to Sherlock Holmes radio plays in the car and the Sherlock sound track. We got back to her house on Sunday at about 1am, then stayed up watching Jeremy Brett till 4am. I had to leave at 5:30am for a 4 hour drive into work and work the whole day Monday. So yes, that's Saturday night and Sunday night without any sleep and all because of Sherlock.

It's safe to say I didn't make it to Judo practice on Monday night - I was in bed by 8pm! 

December 7, 2012 6:32 pm  #20

Oh my god! That sounds like a perfect Weekend! <3
I'd give up loads of sleep for such a weekend
Wish I could have done so too *sigh* (but I'm not a good cosplayer... I try but fail...)
And you do Judo! I have to tell Pitagor ^^

Board footera