BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2012 10:14 pm  #1

Prompts, Challenges, Instructions, etc, re: fan art/fiction/music/etc

Can we get a forum or thread set up for creativity ideas? If you happen to think of something & you go: hey, that would make for a good concept/prompt, I wonder what people are gonna do with it? Is there a place where those prompts could get put? I know that this is mainly a forum for the discussion of the actual show rather than all the spin-offs that us fans like to come up with, but I think it would still be interesting to see where the muses take us.

Last edited by saturnR (September 14, 2012 10:15 pm)

September 14, 2012 11:33 pm  #2

Re: Prompts, Challenges, Instructions, etc, re: fan art/fiction/music/etc

Wouldn't that sort of thing be covered in the "The Game Is On" section? It sounds like you could pop your ideas into the fan fic section.

The problem with forums is, once you start making a lot of sections, the discussion is spread out and people won't take the time 'moving around' too much  & so we end up with a lot of sections or threads that never get replied to. I know this from experience over the years.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 15, 2012 6:34 am  #3

Fan Fic, Fan Art and Fan Video sections which are here already can be used.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 15, 2012 9:06 am  #4

Agreed. Feel free to make a special topic for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 13, 2012 5:01 am  #5

I have a question concerning a fan fic I've written.  It would be fun to share it. It's fairly short but per Davina, it's a little too long to post directly onto this Forum.  I need to link it somehow. I'm not a member of any of the fan fic sites yet like "Archive of Our Own" (There's a waiting list and I won't get an invite to join until January). Does anyone have any other suggestions about putting a story somewhere so you can link to it?  I don't have a lot of tech savvy 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 16, 2012 9:28 pm  #6

In the meantime, have you found a solution for your linking problem, KP? I'd like to read your story!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 16, 2012 9:37 pm  #7

I have an invitation to AO3 I don't need at the moment because I am on Fanfiction.net already. I think it is possible to give the invitation away to somebody else, I would just have to figure out how.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 16, 2012 9:46 pm  #8

Wow, thanks QE. If you can figure it out that would be very generous of you. 'Archive' did say I could recieve an invitation around January 3rd so I suppose that isn't too much longer to wait if that's what it must be. Does the 'Fanfiction' site have the same situation as 'Archive' i.e. waiting lists, invitations, etc? Guess I'll pay a visit and see.

December 16, 2012 9:51 pm  #9

I'd love to read it as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2012 9:58 pm  #10

I sent you a PM with the AO3 link. If it doesn't work, you could also try Fanfiction.net where it is possible to register immediately and post a story 24 hours later or so. But AO3 is better, I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 17, 2012 11:20 am  #11

I've been writing fanfiction for another fandom for about four and a half years.  As such, in addition to the sites devoted specifically to that particular fandom, I've been a longtime member of fanfiction.net and find it easy to upload stories to that site.  There are thousands of Sherlock stories there.  You could also try WWOMB (http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/categories.php?catid=5395), which has a Sherlock section.  LiveJournal may also although I haven't checked it out so I can't offer a link.  Both WWOMB and LiveJournal have specific sections for slash stories; on fanfiction.net they seem to be mixed in with the other genres.  I'd never heard of AO3 until joining this board. 

There is no need for an invitation to contribute to the three sites I mentioned.  Posting a story on fanfiction.net is very easy, on WWOMB also easy, on LJ somewhat less so in my opinion. The key to getting people to read your story is to label it well and write a blurb that will really make people want to know what your story is about--you have to reel them in with your teaser.

Can't wait to read yours!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 17, 2012 12:18 pm  #12

Thanks Sherli, I appreciate all your help and suggestions.  I was able to get on 'Fanfiction' last night - just had to spend a little time figuring it all out.  Still not sure how everything works at that site - but learned just enough to get the story out there.  (Saw in my email today that a few people have added it to their 'favorites list' which is certainly flattering and unexpected).  I'm glad of that; but frankly, the whole purpose of getting it onto a fanfic site was only to get a link so I could share it here on the Forum with those I consider 'family'  . Mission accomplished.

December 17, 2012 11:13 pm  #13

Glad you were able to post it, KP.  If you have any questions about using fanficiton.net, feel free to PM me.  I might be able to help.   

One thing you may want to consider, although you say you posted online only to be able to provide a link to members of this board, is that by uploading your story to more than one fanfic site, you garner a wider audience for your story.  I've found that people often gravitate to one site to comment; that is, different people comment on different sites.  So the more sites you post on, the most comments you are likely to get.

Hope the comments you've received prompt you to continue writing!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera