BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2012 8:59 pm  #41

Re: Frankenstein

OH....MY....GOD.....

I'm starting a Spoilers thread for people who have seen it to discuss how unbelievably amazing it was....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 19, 2012 2:39 am  #42

Davina wrote:

For the life of me I cannot remember where I read it but Danny Boyle was saying that he and Benedict had definitely been talking about taking Frankenstein to Broadway.

During that May NY PBS Q&A with Stephen Moffat, Sue Vertue, and Benedict,  I think BC did say they were hoping to bring the production to NY.

June 19, 2012 6:26 am  #43

For Irene and all the others who want the Frankenstein DVD - here you can sign the petition: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/GetFrankensteinOnDVD. Good luck to all of us  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 19, 2012 6:51 am  #44

SusiGo wrote:

For Irene and all the others who want the Frankenstein DVD - here you can sign the petition: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/GetFrankensteinOnDVD. Good luck to all of us  .

Many thanks, Susi. Signed 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 19, 2012 1:49 pm  #45

Just a thought - from the pictures I saw the creature's looks remind me of Robert de Niro in Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein Movie of 1994. What do you think?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 22, 2012 1:56 pm  #46

Review from Canada:

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/06/21/sherlock-holmes-peeks-out-when-benedict-cumberbatch-plays-frankenstein/

Sherlock Holmes peeks out when Benedict Cumberbatch plays Frankenstein

This blogger likens Sherlock to Ben's portrayal of Victor Frankenstein. Interesting comparisons.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 24, 2012 10:12 pm  #47

I just bought a ticket to see the show!  I am SO happy!!!  All the showings in my area were on June 6 and 7, before I was aware of this production.    But, after searching the NT website that listed US screenings by state, I found one showing at the end of July.  It's a two-hour drive away from me but serendipitously, I have a friend who lives in that town.  So we are both going to see the show.  It's the version where Benedict is Victor.  Comments here are mixed as to which character he was best at but I'm just really, really happy that I can see even one of the performances.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 24, 2012 11:03 pm  #48

Sherli, I'm so happy. You will enjoy it, I'm sure. I saw only the other version (because I missed the listing of the one you're going to see).

Last edited by veecee (June 25, 2012 1:45 am)

June 25, 2012 12:07 am  #49

Thanks, veecee.  Really, PBS should have broadcast Sherlock earlier, so we all this side of the pond would have had time to find these fan sites and learn about Benedict's other performances, such as this one.  Hey--maybe PBS will show Frankenstein at some point!  We can only hope, right?

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 25, 2012 12:07 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 25, 2012 1:46 am  #50

Why not? They showed David Tenants's (Is that his last name?) Hamlet. Write-in campaign?

June 25, 2012 2:11 am  #51

And in the meantime, I just found this very interesting article on the Sherlockology site; but be forewarned--it has spoilers in it and I'm kind of sorry I read it before seeing the play (though I suspect I'll forget what it said by the time I actually see it):

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2012/6/23/frankenstein-23062012

June 25, 2012 5:51 pm  #52

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

And in the meantime, I just found this very interesting article on the Sherlockology site; but be forewarned--it has spoilers in it and I'm kind of sorry I read it before seeing the play (though I suspect I'll forget what it said by the time I actually see it):

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2012/6/23/frankenstein-23062012

Thanks. Never saw this site. Sort of stopped looking after I found our forum.

June 25, 2012 6:04 pm  #53

It's Tennant. Thank God they made a DVD of it! It's from the Royal Shakespeare Company, though, so that's quite different.
But please please please make a DVD of Frankenstein...

I think I've searched like ALL of the internet and I've only found a couple of clips (which were brilliant!). How is that possible? At some point someone always films in a cinema...
I'm so desperate to see this. Gosh, if I'm never able to see this.. :/
I still kind of want to make this happen. But I would have to drive 4-6 hours and spend over 100 Euro on it! That's ridiculous. :/

June 25, 2012 6:12 pm  #54

Sammy wrote:

It's Tennant. Thank God they made a DVD of it! It's from the Royal Shakespeare Company, though, so that's quite different.
But please please please make a DVD of Frankenstein...

I think I've searched like ALL of the internet and I've only found a couple of clips (which were brilliant!). How is that possible? At some point someone always films in a cinema...
I'm so desperate to see this. Gosh, if I'm never able to see this.. :/
I still kind of want to make this happen. But I would have to drive 4-6 hours and spend over 100 Euro on it! That's ridiculous. :/

I feel with you, Sammy. For me it would be about 350 - 400 kilometers to Karlsruhe, not to mention Munich  . I signed the petition, so let's hope for the best! (Yes, sometimes an exclamation mark IS necessary).

June 25, 2012 6:16 pm  #55

Just for the three of us Düsseldorf would have been worthwhile...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 25, 2012 6:24 pm  #56

Oooooh, yes, I even would have walked by foot if necessary …

June 25, 2012 7:00 pm  #57

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I just bought a ticket to see the show!  I am SO happy!!!  All the showings in my area were on June 6 and 7, before I was aware of this production.    But, after searching the NT website that listed US screenings by state, I found one showing at the end of July.  It's a two-hour drive away from me but serendipitously, I have a friend who lives in that town.  So we are both going to see the show.  It's the version where Benedict is Victor.  Comments here are mixed as to which character he was best at but I'm just really, really happy that I can see even one of the performances.   

Sherli!  Where and when is this show?  What is the NT website so I can find out about it? I want to go with you!!!!! Or at least meet you there! 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 26, 2012 5:39 am  #58

I watched both the original casting and the alternate version at the screenings in my city. I am now convinced that Benedict Cumberbatch can play any role ever and play it to a completely new level. He definitely makes the role his own and captures what makes Mary shelley's book and characters so fantastic. Jonny Lee Miller was all rightttt. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cumberbatch fan. But Jonny Lee Miller's portrayal of the creature in contrast to Cumberbatch'es and playing opposite Cumberbatch's creature as Frankenstein pales in comparison to Cumberbatch's portrayal of both. The sheer physicality of Cumberbatch's creature was... something to see, to put it mildly. Have you ever found yourself watching a movie and realized you were trying not to blink? Yeah. And I'm not easily impressed.

Last edited by VivaCohen (June 26, 2012 5:51 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn!" - Jack Kerouac

June 26, 2012 10:57 am  #59

I am very excited today.  Thanks to Sherli Bakerst's posting yesterday (she lives in my neck of the woods), I too am going to see this show on film in July.  I don't mind the spoilers.  They help me focus on things others have found amazing and interesting. I've seen the trailers too and it looks like everything I want in a theatrical production.  Looking forward to the evening and meeting Sherli too

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 27, 2012 12:11 am  #60

KeepersPrice wrote:

...I too am going to see this show on film in July.  Looking forward to the evening and meeting Sherli too

And I am going to wear a Sherlock T-shirt so you can recognize me.    I created the design today and now just have to transfer it to a shirt.

Board footera