BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2012 6:01 pm  #21

Re: Frankenstein

See posting about review of Scandal. Apparently Benedict and Danny Boyle are considering taking Frankenstein to the New York stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 3, 2012 8:59 pm  #22

Davina wrote:

See posting about review of Scandal. Apparently Benedict and Danny Boyle are considering taking Frankenstein to the New York stage.

That would be amazing!

I just booked my tickets to see it in Covent Garden with BC as Creature, it's not playing anywhere near me but I'm (very luckily!) in London on the same day so yaay! I wish I could see both versions!

May 7, 2012 12:21 pm  #23

Booked my tickets today. 18th June in Manchester, Benedict as creature. Trying to arrange a meet up in Manchester for the same day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 7, 2012 4:00 pm  #24

I want to go too, but I don't want to buy my ticket too soon, because I don't know when I'll finish school -_-. I have 2 months of strike to catch up and we're supposing to have school during June and the week-ends, so I don't want to buy a ticket and have to go to an exam instead. It would be so cruel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 10, 2012 2:38 am  #25

I'll see it with Benedict as the creature Saturday 16, yeah ! I'm so excited : D.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 10, 2012 12:37 pm  #26

One week tomorrow for me!!!

June 11, 2012 7:32 am  #27

Went to see this yesterday - Miller as Victor and Cumberbatch as the Creature. OMFG it was amazing. From someone with a theatre background I was absolutely blown away particularly by the simple but extraordinarily effective set design. And the revolve! OMG so many ways to use that space!
Not to mention the ceiling lights. WOW

And of course the performances were incredible.

So so so good. Going to see the other version on 24th. Wow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 11, 2012 8:23 am  #28

On the NT homepage it says that the film will be shown in cinemas in Munich and Karlsruhe, that is too far for me  . What about Düsseldorf or Cologne?? Think again.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2012 1:56 pm  #29

Does anybody know for how long this screenings will be available in London?

I will possibly (only possibly, not sure yet) be there for a week in july, I would love to know the dates of the screenings, but in the NT page I can't find dates... anybody knows?

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 11, 2012 2:58 pm  #30

The screenings only take place in June. If you go on the NT website and look for the NT live screenings, participating venues, and click on any of those listed they give dates. Sadly none are in July though.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2012 7:11 pm  #31

Davina wrote:

The screenings only take place in June. If you go on the NT website and look for the NT live screenings, participating venues, and click on any of those listed they give dates. Sadly none are in July though.

Ok, I didn't click on the participating venues, thanks Davina. I was looking for some place that said "dates of screening" or something like that.
Pity... I'm not sure if I'll be able to go finally, but if I go it will be July for sure. Well, it was worth a try...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 12, 2012 1:10 am  #32

I  just found out today---  that my town DID  show this---LAST WEEK   and I  missed it!!   Booo  hoo!!!   Is  this out on DVD?   I'm not a fan of frankenstein,  but I AM a fan of you-know-whom!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 12, 2012 1:29 am  #33

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  just found out today---  that my town DID  show this---LAST WEEK   and I  missed it!!   Booo  hoo!!!   Is  this out on DVD?   I'm not a fan of frankenstein,  but I AM a fan of you-know-whom!!

From the official site, seeing as this is the MOST asked question:
Frankenstein FAQs
Will you be releasing a DVD of the production?

We have no plans to release a DVD. We know from letters, tweets and emails that a great many people wanted another chance to see the production – and these encore screenings have been scheduled in response to that huge public demand. Our rights arrangements with actors and crew don’t currently permit DVD release, and we’re also keen for as many people as possible to experience the broadcasts in the format for which they were created: broadcast in HD to cinemas.

Will you be showing Frankenstein on TV in the UK?
Channel 4 will be airing a documentary called Frankenstein: The Making of a Myth which features a behind-the-scenes look at  production – at the moment no broadcast date is confirmed, read more about the programme.
There are, however, no plans to air the broadcasts of the production itself.
Will Frankenstein be playing again on stage at the National Theatre?
No, there are no plans for the production to return to the National Theatre.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/69696/productions/frankenstein-faqs.html

In short, NO.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 10:00 pm  #34

Ok CALLING ALL AMERICANS! Apparently the June edition of American Vogue has an interview with Danny Boyle about Frankenstein and it perhaps transferring to the States. Can anyone access this glossy mag and see if the interview has any more light to shed? Pretty please!

June 15, 2012 1:14 am  #35

Also...did anyone who's seen this notice that the actress playing Elizabeth is the same actress who played Hortense in Small Island?

Britain's acting pool is incestuous!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 15, 2012 7:26 pm  #36

Thank you, Davina, for giving me a mission. I'm glad we Americans - - I mean Yanks -- can contribute some news.

From the interview with Danny Boyle by Hadley Freeman in the June 2012 issue of American Vogue:

"Last year, Boyle returned tro the stage for the first time in decades to direct Frankenstein at London's National Theatre. This production will 'hopefully,' Bole says, come to Broadway soon, and if so, New York theatergoers must go immediately..." It does not say anything about who might be in the play in NYC; however, it goes on to say about the British production, "...starring Jonny Lee Miller and the rising British star Benedict Cumberbatch, alternately playing the doctor and the monster. (They jointly won an Olivier Award for their performances.)" It goes on with a quote from Benedict and a description of the first scene.That scene is amazing, by the way. (I got to see the film of the live play myself -- the version with BC as the monster.)

Another interesting note is that Boyle says about the Olympic opening ceremony, "...we did use Frankenstein as a dry run for a lot of ideas for this."

June 15, 2012 9:11 pm  #37

For the life of me I cannot remember where I read it but Danny Boyle was saying that he and Benedict had definitely been talking about taking Frankenstein to Broadway.

June 16, 2012 8:20 pm  #38

I'm just coming from Frankenstein and it was truly amazing ! Benedict as the creature was really incredible : ). My friends understand now why he is my favorite actor. I converted them to him.
But, oh my god, Benedict ! He is so talented !
Sorry, I'm still excited : ).

June 18, 2012 3:43 pm  #39

Oh, Milkomeda, that's really wonderful. Wish I'd had the chance to see him - but yesterday I signed this petition to the NT for releasing in on DVD after all. Let's hope for the best.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2012 8:57 pm  #40

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, Milkomeda, that's really wonderful. Wish I'd had the chance to see him - but yesterday I signed this petition to the NT for releasing in on DVD after all. Let's hope for the best.

Susi, please, tell me where you can sign this. There are no screenings in Spain and I am planning to go to London soon, but not soon enough to get to see it...

Board footera