BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2012 6:11 pm  #1

Frankenstein

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-02-29/benedict-cumberbatch-will-return-to-cinemas-in-danny-boyle's-frankenstein
Yay!

(sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I'm rushing off to work)

Last edited by kazza474 (March 1, 2012 12:42 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 29, 2012 10:19 pm  #2

Re: Frankenstein

For some reason can't get that link to work. Tried to correct it but still the same, although I did find the article when I googled it. Could be just me cause I'm using my phone at the moment instead of my computer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it - been ages since I went to the cinema.

Will move to Benedict section...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 1, 2012 12:45 am  #3

I got the link from google. I can click from thre & it comes up, but the one I posted (which is the same) won't work for me either.
I tried going to Radio Times, it is under TV on the page I have up, but I cannot find it.

Here's a copy & paste of the text:

Benedict Cumberbatch will return to cinemas in Danny Boyle's Frankenstein
Director's acclaimed National Theatre production, which co-starred Jonny Lee Miller, will be re-released worldwide
Missing Sherlock? Can't wait for the Star Trek sequel? Hoping beyond hope that the rumours about a new actor playing The Master are true?

Yep, it seems like you've probably got quite a bad case of Cumberbatch withdrawal.

But don't despair, there's something to ease the pain - National Theatre Live has announced a second cinema run of Oscar winner Danny Boyle's Frankenstein, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller (see video above). 

Written by Nick Dear and based on the classic novel by Mary Shelley, the production, in which the two male leads alternated between playing the scientist and the monster, received critical acclaim when it was mounted in February of last year. It was later screened in cinemas around the world by NT Live. 

And the good news is, from June, the play will return to cinemas globally for a limited series of encore screenings.

So, if you missed Cumberbatch and Miller's award winning performances first time around, or just want to enjoy them all over again, there's not long to wait.

Exact dates and times have yet to be confirmed - but if you sign up to the National Theatre newsletter, you can be first in the queue for tickets come June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=axL7sKzrYtw

And that is the video link above.

Last edited by kazza474 (March 1, 2012 12:47 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 1, 2012 6:43 am  #4

Yay! I defintely have to watch it, it looks great! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

March 1, 2012 7:17 pm  #5

Awaiting the announcement of the exact dates with keen anticipation. Apparently the scene in Scandal where he wakes up in his bed in the flat after Irene has drugs him, you know the bit, where he tries to get out of bed and falls right out of it onto the floor, is very like his Frankenstein portrayal. This is mentioned in the commentary for this episode. I assume they mean his portrayal of the monster and not the scientist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2012 2:12 am  #6

Davina wrote:

Awaiting the announcement of the exact dates with keen anticipation. Apparently the scene in Scandal where he wakes up in his bed in the flat after Irene has drugs him, you know the bit, where he tries to get out of bed and falls right out of it onto the floor, is very like his Frankenstein portrayal. This is mentioned in the commentary for this episode. I assume they mean his portrayal of the monster and not the scientist.

It was a running joke that Gatiss started, Benedict's not keen on the comparison.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 4:36 am  #7

That's because Mark Gatiss's is a bit of a tease!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2012 8:22 am  #8

http://www.riversideparramatta.com.au/performance.asp?pID=1335

This is a filmed performance captured live at the National Theatre, London.

This sell-out show, originally screened at Riverside in 2011, is back by popular demand!

Danny Boyle, Oscar-winning director of Slumdog Millionaire, returns to the theatre with an eclectic new adaptation of Frankenstein. Childlike in his innocence but grotesque in form, Frankenstein's bewildered creature is cast out into a hostile universe by his horror-struck maker. Meeting with cruelty wherever he goes, the friendless Creature, increasingly desperate and vengeful, determines to track down his creator and strike a terrifying deal. Urgent concerns of scientific responsibility, parental neglect, cognitive development and the nature of good and evil are embedded within this thrilling and deeply disturbing classic gothic tale.

Date/Time:
1pm, Sun 10 June 2012
1pm, Sat 23 June

Tickets:
$25 Adult / $22 Concession / $15 16&U*
*transaction fees apply

*sighs* You guys get all the luck!!!

Last edited by kazza474 (March 2, 2012 8:24 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 2, 2012 12:20 pm  #9

Twitter says the tickets for Australian showings Of Frankenstein are now on sale.

March 8, 2012 7:26 am  #10

Finally tickets go on sale tomorrow for the Brisbane shows.

I have done the right thing and posted it on my facebook page with a HUGE hint to my daughters who never know what to buy me for my birthday.
It's a duty of mother's to drop huge hints.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 8, 2012 7:30 am  #11

Now has anyone seen this play?

I am hoping to go to both versions, but is one better than the other?

Version One - Miller is Victor & Cumberbatch is the creature
Version Two - Miller is the creature & Cumberbatch is Victor.

Ohhh darn, I'll just make sure I go to both!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 8, 2012 6:51 pm  #12

Strange that Johnny Lee Miller is going to be Sherlock in the CBS version Elementary.

March 12, 2012 6:42 am  #13

Screenings in UK run through June 2012. Two are on a Tuesday afternoon and two are on a Thursday evening, at the Odeon cinemas anyway. It's a bit confusing on the Odean listings as to whether Benedict is playing the Creature or Victor Frankenstein in the screenings. Either way it'll be great.

March 20, 2012 2:14 pm  #14

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 12, 2012 7:06 pm  #15

Is there any possibility that this ends up on DVD for sale? I would love to watch it... I wish I was living in th UK!! Argh!!

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 12, 2012 7:21 pm  #16

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/69696/productions/frankenstein-faqs.html

Will you be releasing a DVD of the production?

We have no plans to release a DVD. We know from letters, tweets and emails that a great many people wanted another chance to see the production – and these encore screenings have been scheduled in response to that huge public demand. Our rights arrangements with actors and crew don’t currently permit DVD release, and we’re also keen for as many people as possible to experience the broadcasts in the format for which they were created: broadcast in HD to cinemas.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 12, 2012 10:43 pm  #17

Ok... 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 24, 2012 11:12 pm  #18

It's supposed to be show in Canada too, but I don't know where and Canada is a vast country  . Maybe if it plays in Montréal, I could see it, I'd like so much !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 24, 2012 11:54 pm  #19

Milkomeda wrote:

It's supposed to be show in Canada too, but I don't know where and Canada is a vast country  . Maybe if it plays in Montréal, I could see it, I'd like so much !

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/63070/venues-amp-booking/canada-venues.html

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 25, 2012 1:14 am  #20

Oh ! Thank you Kazza ! Now I really want to see it : O. I hope I could ! I only have to convince a friend with a car to see it with me  .

Last edited by Milkomeda (April 25, 2012 1:47 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

Board footera