BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2012 11:43 am  #41

Re: All the "gay" references to John

My mistake, thanks for your post, only the first line was directed to you   

Last edited by Harriet (October 6, 2012 11:44 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 6, 2012 11:44 am  #42

Harriet: 

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 6, 2012 11:44 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 6, 2012 6:40 pm  #43

Ok, I shall expand.
1.  I differentiate between personal fantasies, fan fictions(art and vids too), TV shows and real life.
2.  Mark and Steven have written a running joke through Sherlock:  that people think Sherlock and John are gay.  We all know they are not and THEREIN lies the comedy, we all find it hilarious and laugh at the characters who make this error.
3.  Steven and Mark have said they have no problem with people's fantasies.  However, they write the series as the boys being friends, this is what they said.

Last edited by besleybean (October 6, 2012 6:41 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 6, 2012 7:32 pm  #44

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
I agree wholeheartedly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 6, 2012 7:37 pm  #45

I made my point clear already, pls. think of another expression than We All, thank you 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 6, 2012 7:41 pm  #46

But that's the whole point of TV drama, we get to see everything, that the characters don't.  We can look smart and the characters can looks stupid.  It's called good writing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 6, 2012 7:53 pm  #47

... and the characters also get to see things that we don't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 6, 2012 8:04 pm  #48

In what way?
Oh, you mean like they know the cliff hanger resolutions etc?

October 6, 2012 8:13 pm  #49

I meant, that's also part of the writing. The camera doesn't follow every character everywhere all the time, some solutions are given later or even never. So it's not only the other way around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 6, 2012 8:18 pm  #50

Yes, but...

October 6, 2012 9:35 pm  #51

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

I meant, that's also part of the writing. The camera doesn't follow every character everywhere all the time, some solutions are given later or even never. So it's not only the other way around.

VERY good point! And this gives us room to think and discuss it all over... FUN! 

October 6, 2012 9:40 pm  #52

Yes but we ALL hear the ' gay' references.  But only we know it's not true.  Well other than when people like Mycroft are teasing.

October 7, 2012 7:26 am  #53

In a way the running joke of the gay references has shown exactly how easily the public can be manipulated in their opinions. In Sherlock, John is outraged by the newspapers' innuendos because he knows that some people, a lot of people, will pick up on that and run with it in the way the journalists want. Ironically, that is exactly what has happened with the innuendos and jokes in the series, in real life. (Making a clear distinction between the two here). Can you see the immediate and clear parallels? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 7:31 am  #54

Me?  Heck yeah.
Which is just why I find it hugely ironic that Sherlock fans still persist in thinking out boys may either be in or are going to be in a relationship.  That ship will not sail in BBC Sherlock, by all means keep it afloat in the fan art/fic/vids.

October 7, 2012 8:21 am  #55

I'm not sure if they really believe it. I think they want to believe because they like the idea. I don't and I was really irritated when I noticed that fanfic the first time. Meanwhile I'm kinda "used to it" and think it's funny - up to a certain point. 

October 7, 2012 9:22 am  #56

I used to vehemently attack slash.
But as the boys seem to be ok with it, I accept it's place now, tho prefer not to read it.
Some of the artwork is stunning(and amusing), but as long as we keep it separate from BBC Sherlock.
I tend not to watch fan vids, either.
But in my fantasies...

October 7, 2012 9:34 am  #57

I agree.
A lot of things in the web are quite weird  and I understand when esp. the actors (concerned directly) go "OMG!" when they see it. Must be a real strange feeling for them when already I am kind of shocked sometimes.
I like some of the fanvids though - some scenes cut together and some nice music.... It's kind of "Oh yes, that was nice in the show!" for me. Kind of new trailers from time to time.
Have to be careful anyway not to stumble upon the "wrong" ones.....

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 7, 2012 9:35 am)

October 7, 2012 6:47 pm  #58

I avoid fan videos when they have their own plot, BBC scenes don't go for me together with other storylines.
I need things a little separated, one box for this, one box for that ... 

And I got to get used to the idea of slash also, not so long ago, actually.
I was surprised to find how enchanting some stuff can actually be, tender and sweet.

October 7, 2012 6:50 pm  #59

Oh some of it is beautiful, but it doesn't seem right to see our boys like that.
I mean, other than in our heads.
But yes, I applaud talent.

Last edited by besleybean (October 7, 2012 7:17 pm)

October 7, 2012 7:08 pm  #60

What does see out exactly mean? My dict doesn't tell me 

Board footera