BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2012 4:04 am  #1

All the "gay" references to John

Just rewatching the first episode & laughing my head off at the number of "gay" references to John.

The first time he meets Mrs Hudson:

Mrs Hudson: There's another room upstairs if you'll be needing two rooms.
John: Of course we'll be needing two.
Mrs Hudson: Oh, don't worry. Mrs Turner next door has got married ones.

In the cafeteria where they are waiting for the taxi (they don't know he's the killer yet).

Vendor: Anything you want on the house for you & your date.
John: I'm not his date.
Vendor: I'll get a candle for this table, it's more romantic.
John: I'm not his date.

later in the same scene:

John: You're unattached just like me.
Sherlock: John, I think you should know that I consider myself married to my work & while I'm flattered by your interest, I'm really not looking for anything.
John: No (big wide eyes) no.

It's just really funny because in that episode, no one questions Sherlock's sexuality but almost everyone, when they meet John for the first time in the company of Sherlock, always assumes that he's gay It's like being with Sherlock feminises John or something because when they see him minus Sherlock, they don't think he's gay quite so quickly.

Last edited by saturnR (September 9, 2012 4:06 am)

September 9, 2012 8:42 am  #2

Re: All the "gay" references to John

That's an interesting observation. He has no problem in finding girl friends as long as he's not in Sherlock's company. The moment they meet them together - or go to a Chinese circus - the relationships end quite abruptly. And the people who question John's sexuality - e.g. Mrs Hudson and Angelo - have known Sherlock for quite some time and must have some idea about his sexuality.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2012 9:22 am  #3

Hm... in SiB Mrs. Hudson admits to know absolutely nothing about that.
Maybe no one's questioning Sherlock's sexuality because nobody gets the idea that he has any. "Married to his work".

I still think all this gay references are quite a funny joke going through all episodes. People need an explanation why two men in their 30s live together in a flat - and homosexuallity is the nearest one.
Maybe to compare when e.g. a young woman loves an "old" guy - "must be about the money". Easiest explanation.
Not always true, though. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 9, 2012 9:38 am  #4

Yes, you're right, forgot about that scene in SiB. We won't learn anything definite from the six episodes. And even his own brother assumes that he knows nothing about sex.  On the other hand Sherlock - other than John - never denies being gay but then if course it is possible that he just doesn't care what people think about his sexual orientation. I recently read a quote by Mark Gatiss who said that until the end of series 1 they themselves weren't sure about this point.

Last edited by SusiGo (September 9, 2012 9:47 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 9, 2012 12:30 pm  #5

Also, it is a way to modernise the characters. As kazza pointed out on another thread, no one comments on their relationships in the stories because it wasn't the done thing then. These days, the rude thing would be to not acknowledge their (presumed) relationship.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 11, 2012 3:04 am  #6

I keep thinking about how it would happen in America, particularly in somewhere more conservative (so I guess that means somewhere more conservative in England too, but they skirted around that in Hounds). I feel like where I live people would nudge each other but not say anything to the couple unless someone was feeling very daring.

Did you see those two...?
Yeah, yeah, do you think...?
Definitely.
Should we ask them...?
No.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 11, 2012 3:47 am  #7

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Definitely.
Should we ask them...?
No.

So that's where Don't Ask Don't Tell comes from

September 11, 2012 3:50 am  #8

NW16XE wrote:

....These days, the rude thing would be to not acknowledge their (presumed) relationship.

Really?
I don't acknowledge ANYONE'S relationship unless we are close friends. Certainly not work related people. And nor do I really care who is doing what to who.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 11, 2012 8:08 am  #9

SusiGo wrote:

That's an interesting observation. He has no problem in finding girl friends as long as he's not in Sherlock's company. The moment they meet them together - or go to a Chinese circus - the relationships end quite abruptly. And the people who question John's sexuality - e.g. Mrs Hudson and Angelo - have known Sherlock for quite some time and must have some idea about his sexuality.

Oh yes! Angelo immediately thinks Sherlock and John belong together. And he didn't let himself dissuade from that. I think he and Mrs Hudson never saw Sherlock with a woman, so when John appears they think "Ohhh, of course!"

But I love these references, they're part of the charm of the show.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 11, 2012 9:53 am  #10

kazza474 wrote:

NW16XE wrote:

....These days, the rude thing would be to not acknowledge their (presumed) relationship.

Really?
I don't acknowledge ANYONE'S relationship unless we are close friends. Certainly not work related people. And nor do I really care who is doing what to who.

Here, even in the Midwest which is largely conservative, some  people will feel obliged to let people they perceive as 'different' in whatever way know they are okay with it. (Tiresome.  ). Just assumed from the show ther is a bit of that sort of PCness in The UK too. But not Australia, interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 11, 2012 11:11 am  #11

Best take on the Sherlock-John relationship I ever read about:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7188989/1/Re-Inter-Office-Gossip

summary: Lestrade and Donovan make a bet regarding Sherlock and John. It doesn't take long for the majority of the Yard to get involved.

September 11, 2012 1:11 pm  #12

saturnR wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Definitely.
Should we ask them...?
No.

So that's where Don't Ask Don't Tell comes from

Precisely!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 11, 2012 7:06 pm  #13

saturnR wrote:

summary: Lestrade and Donovan make a bet regarding Sherlock and John. It doesn't take long for the majority of the Yard to get involved.

OHMYGOD...I enjoyed that SOOO much...thank you. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 12:07 am  #14

saturnR wrote:

Haha loved it. Still smiling

September 12, 2012 1:56 am  #15

Haha!  That was too funny!

I love all the gay references to John.  The writers are definitely playing with all the shippers out there.  It's funny cause it irritates him.  :D

October 5, 2012 7:00 pm  #16

Yet we know from Anthea, that he is not gay and he makes this clear at Angelo's.
When I 1st saw PINK, I really thought things were quite ambiguous.
But I must admit now, I realise both our boys make their positions clear at Angelo's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 7:07 pm  #17

besleybean wrote:

But I must admit now, I realise both our boys make their positions clear at Angelo's.

Positions are not cast in stone and could be changed if necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 5, 2012 7:56 pm  #18

Isn't it more like that? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 5, 2012 8:56 pm  #19

^ Haha, good point with that picture

I really don't think he's gay though. "It's all fine" but I don't think he is. Nor Sherlock. It's just funny to keep questioning their relationship in the show because that's what everyone does if two guys are living together (I think). I think it's funny myself and love when this happens. But still, they are just really good friends and always will be in my eyes. No hate for Johnlocks though It's all good and I see why the romantic relationship is attractive to people.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 5, 2012 9:06 pm  #20

Yeah, actually it is rather like that 

*not taking things too seriously tonight, sigh* 

Last edited by Harriet (October 5, 2012 9:07 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera