BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2012 1:56 am  #1

Do the Homeless Network all have camera phones?

They must do otherwise how can they send Sherlock pictures of various warehouses direct to his phone?

This is the scene in the police station where they're trying to work out where the kids are. Sherlock says he has his Homeless Network on the job, then he scans through a load of photos on his phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 29, 2012 2:44 am  #2

Re: Do the Homeless Network all have camera phones?

I'm sure some probably do. Even in real life, some people are homeless by choice & still have the means to get by with the usual things.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 31, 2012 2:47 am  #3

My basic free cellphone is a camera phone.

Sherlock has probably provided phones to his network to increase their usefulness to him.

August 31, 2012 6:45 am  #4

Good point, I've never thought about that, but they obviously do.As LoveBug has said, virtually all phones have cameras these days, so it would not be a huge investment. It would also allow Sherlock to contact them when needed.

The quality of the pictures taken with cheap phones is still usually quite low, though. I have a model which was top of the range in 2010, and the camera is ok outside or in a brightly lit room, but there is no flash, so you can't use it in the dark or even somewhat badly lit places.

I'm always a bit sceptical when they use pictures taken via camera phone on TV shows, with people using them as evidence or for black mail. It's just a bit unrealistic, at least not for "regular" people who don't spend 300+ EUR on their phone.
Irene Adler's case was slightly different, thankfully the writers put in the extra bit of information that her phone had been adapted by Moriarty's "experts". Also, she is rich and well connected enough to have a state of the art camera put into her phone especially for her purposes.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

August 31, 2012 9:48 am  #5

Even with a specially adapted 'phone, those pictures she received of John and Sherlock in the taxi laughing over the ashtray took some skill  .

BTW I wondered if these 'photos were confirmation for Irene just how much of 'a couple' John and Sherlock actually were. Consider her expression as she looks away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 1, 2012 10:31 pm  #6

It's true... I'll go with the theory that Sherlock gave them good camera phones.
It's also true that the pictures you see on screen have a way too good quality. The quality of cell phone pictures is usually very crappy. But you can observe that in almost every movie or TV show - pictures someone "randomly took" always look way too good to be authentic. It's just one of these little mistakes which are perfectly fine.

September 1, 2012 11:33 pm  #7

It's like the technique of showing past video footage in a scene, only for camera angle to change and thus the viewer to enter that scene.

This has always annoyed me. It doesn't make sense!

September 24, 2012 8:20 pm  #8

I'm less surprised that the homeless have camera phones than then having phone plans. Does Sherlock pay for all their plans?

Do any companies in England offer a "any of homeless" deal?

September 24, 2012 8:25 pm  #9

They may just have 'pay as you go' phones. No plan/contract needed.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 24, 2012 9:12 pm  #10

I was wondering this too! They must be pay as you go. And I personally don't see Sherlock paying for them? I guess they are a somewhat good investment but he's not super rich either.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 6, 2012 8:06 pm  #11

I think he's from a rich family, who could provide any necessary equipment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 6, 2012 8:55 pm  #12

True, maybe Mycroft even set it up.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 6, 2012 8:58 pm  #13

You got my hint, then!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera