BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2012 10:46 am  #1

For non-native English speakers

Feel very proud

Link address on Twitter is
http://t.co/W1mcwIcJ

Last edited by kazza474 (September 8, 2012 11:08 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 8, 2012 10:56 am  #2

Re: For non-native English speakers

The link or pic thingy isn't showing up properly for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 8, 2012 10:58 am  #3

Please, try it again, Jane, I'd love to see it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2012 11:05 am  #4

Yea, what appears to be a link probably is just an image of the link....

Last edited by Harriet (September 8, 2012 11:07 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 8, 2012 11:10 am  #5

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 8, 2012 11:29 am  #6

Hooray, more opportunities for blunders! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 8, 2012 11:33 am  #7

Oh, that's really frustrating  . How about some phonetics to go with it so we don't have to guess? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2012 11:37 am  #8

Tricky...very tricky! It bow/bow all over again!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 8, 2012 11:50 am  #9

Sorry everyone  . Thought I had posted correctly and then had to dash off to deliver daughter somewhere for 12.00 *rolls eyes* so I've only just discovered the error. Thanks to Kazza for knowing what to do in an emergency. 

September 8, 2012 11:58 am  #10

S'ok, easily fixed.
All part of the service.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 8, 2012 12:07 pm  #11

This reminds me a lot of a poem we once discussed at university:

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.
Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)

It goes on and on and on...

Finally, which rhymes with enough,
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Smart is the new sexy."
I disagree. To me, smart has *always* been sexy.

September 8, 2012 12:34 pm  #12

The complete one is to find here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/can-you-pronounce-all-these-words-correctly

Just showed it to hubby and he immediately started reading out loud the whole thing. (I think he wanted to show off  ). Well, he managed quite a lot. 
And I wonder why it is Suzy but buzy and daughter but laughter and some but home and and and.... Are there one million rules?

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 8, 2012 1:09 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 8, 2012 1:18 pm  #13

The only rule seems to be that there isn't one. I must be brighter than I thought, I picked it all up as a baby 

September 8, 2012 2:36 pm  #14

Mattlocked, how about a little revenge? Shall we tell them about the three grammatical genders in German? 

September 8, 2012 2:44 pm  #15

Wait - I have to look up the word "gender".   LOL

Edit: Ah okay, it means the same in the grammatical context as it does usually... 
Well... we could make a kind of quiz!?!

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 8, 2012 2:53 pm)

September 8, 2012 2:55 pm  #16

Mattlocked wrote:

And I wonder why it is Suzy but buzy and daughter but laughter and some but home and and and.... Are there one million rules?

In a nutshell: different etymologies. English, while being a Germanic language in origin, has assimilated and adapted words from all kinds of languages. /end smart-alec mode

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Smart is the new sexy."
I disagree. To me, smart has *always* been sexy.

September 9, 2012 12:41 am  #17

Lestrade wrote:

In a nutshell: different etymologies. English, while being a Germanic language in origin, has assimilated and adapted words from all kinds of languages. /end smart-alec mode

So has German.. Portemonnaie comes to mind (French for money purse).. I am citing a thesis here:

"Die Fremdwörter machen heute einen gehörigen Teil des deutschen Wortschatzes aus. Es sind vor allem lateinische und englische Ausdrücke. Der Anteil der Fremdwörter ist etwa 25 %, wobei viele dieser Wörter, besonders aus dem Griechischen und Lateinischen, nicht mehr als "fremd" aufgefasst werden. Es gibt ungefähr 10 % wirklich "fremd" Wörter im Deutschen. Die Substantive stehen an der Spitze, dann folgen die Adjektive und Verben.
Fremde Wörter gelangen aufgrund des Kontaktes zwischen mehreren Sprachgemeinschaften in eine andere Sprache oder aufgrund kultureller, wirtschaftlicher oder politischer Beziehungen (Handelsbeziehungen zwischen unterschiedlichen Sprachgemeinschaften bzw. Völkern). Das Verbreitungsgebiet einer Sprache ist kein abgeschlossener Raum, sondern es steht in Verbindung mit den angrenzenden anderen Sprachgruppen. Deutsch besitzt eine Reihe Wörter von Nachbarsprachen."

September 9, 2012 8:02 am  #18

And i'm sure Susi can translate this for the others. 

September 9, 2012 10:14 am  #19

Summarising it states that the German language has assimilated many words from 'foreign' languages too, which nowadays account for up to 25% of the overall vocabulary  (mainly Latin and English). Most of these words came from cultural, economic and political relationships with the 'donating' countries. Every language is influenced by external lingual communities and not isolated.

*vocabulary*

*lol*

Got that one?

September 9, 2012 11:24 am  #20

A fair amount of Greek words too.

Board footera