BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2012 4:58 pm  #21

Re: INFO for and About Deaf/HOH people--Theaters, captioning, cellphones,e

Oh, you're talking about the Laurie King pastiches!

Nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

November 27, 2012 10:51 pm  #22

Tantalus wrote:

Oh, you're talking about the Laurie King pastiches!

Nice.

Ha!!  Ding ding....  yes!!     I knew there had to be at least a few fans around here familiar with King's neatly creative-take of the adventures of Mary Russell and Holmes, but didn't see a thread about in amongst the rest of the book discussions, and only mention of King was the collection she helped edit (which I probably need to add to my ...sigh..waytoobig... sigh.. list.  snrk  ;p).  Despite liking this kinda stuff, I never got in too deep in the mystery genre book industry, so despite her series about my now-favorite-take on the classic detective being around for a decade now, only just recently got into them.  <g>  You a fan, too?   Maybe I'll start it's own thread about it when I get a second.... 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 29, 2012 4:02 am  #23

If you can't find a thread abt a particular topic, use the SEARCH  thing  up above.    If yu still can't find anything,   then  find the right forum  and make a new thread.   

I  just looked up those sites you mentioned russel  for the movie theaters.    My  theater   only  has two  of the devices--the flexible straw thing,  and the earphones.   They don't have rear window captioning OR  open captions,  which is what I really  like.   

As for cell phones---I recently went to Las Vegas NV  to a DEAFNATION   convention  in  August.   They showed me what SPRINT RELAY   network   is offerring to the deaf ppl.    As  far as I know,   the 2 apps they showed me were ONLY   on  the sprint network,  via  GOOGLE  PLAY STORE.    I  don't know if any other network that offers these phone apps. (verizon, AT &T, etc)    If  I've mentioned them before,  I  apologize.    Here they are----

1.    Wireless Captel   System  by  Raketu---This is a COMPUTER/INTERNET system.  On  this  system,   you  can  TALK to the person you are calling,  and when the person replies,  it shows up automatically on the screen of your phone, so that you can SEE and READ  what the other person is saying.   This also allows you to have your own number,  so that hearing ppl can call you and leave a voicemail  IF  you  don't answer it.    If  you answer it,  it works the same way, vice versa. 

A----For me,  this app doesn't always work  when I need it to,  so  I hardly ever use it.   I'm  on the 3G network,  and It's not large enuf to hold the bandwidth  of the captel app,   so  my  calls are always dropped or  disconnected,  and my  friends on the other end cannot understand me,  or my call doesn'[t go thru.  I've  tried this system  on   WI-FI,   I've used a Bluetooth device,   but   still the system does not work.    I  usually  leave this app OFF.  I  check it,   because I've given some ppl my captel num.   But when I play back the messages they leave me,  the phone often cuts off  before the message is finished.    Yes,  I've   been  in  touch  with the captel reps, and with Sprint,   and I've done EVERYTHING  they've told me to do,   but   the captel thing is still having trouble.    Where I live,   4G   is not available, even tho other  phone co  (at and T, verizon,  etc)   ARE  on  the 4 G  network.   But Sprint?    NO,  and they don't INTEND  to  get  to  get onto that network.

2.    Sprint Mobile IP relay system--  THIS  system works MUCH   better for me,  as long as I  have a good data  connection thru the internet,  where I live,  3G  and WI-FI   both do a very good job   of making this work for me.    It's   just like using a TTY  at home.     I   open the app,   and I dial a friend's number.   I  wait to be connected to a third party operator, who  is a live person,    and that person will  dial the number I want, and spk to the person I'm calling.   I'm  merrily  typing my responses and saying GA   when I finish spking,  and the other person does the same, with the 3rd party operator typing back to me what the other person is saying.

A--I  love this app  MUCH  more than the captel system.   When  I  was traveling back in October, I was able to make important  phone calls using my cell phone,  using this app.    The only drawback is I type slow,  and even tho I use the swipe method sometimes,  Using this app is time consuming.    But It's worth it, for me.   

Hope this info is helpful to anyone.  Keep sharing your information----Knowledge is important!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 29, 2012 6:28 pm  #24

Hi again kitty!  (skitty?  sk?)
Yeah, I know what you mean with both finding/hearing about stuff, and what you can actually use!  But..... you said they 'don't' have rear-window?  But I'm pretty sure that's what the little screen/gooseneck holder one is called?  Then there's the open caps (which I've never gotten to see), and seems a lot of theaters are leaning towards those Sony Access glasses now.  Not sure how well I'd like it, or how it compares.... seems like would be a little awkward having it --rightthere-- on the glasses instead of the little screen in front of you.

And yes, around-ish the same time this year I finally looked in the theater stuff (y'know, having vaguely heard of it, but never realizing ones around here did at all!), I also came across the phone caption stuff, having also not realized they had such services for cells these days, instead of landlines.  Yep, there's Sprint's Captel, Hamilton CapTel, and ClearCaptions.  I was looking up all of them and can't remember the one I tried... don't think I could use Sprint, not being on their network.  Think it was CC, and yes, it's VERY frustrating having a smooth/accurate connection!  Especially with the 3G thing!  I only tried it once with a family member as a test run, and while I can see the great benefit, I didn't get into the habit of it due to ease of use and tendency to avoid the phone and just text, anyway.  ; PP   At least the whole darn endeavor ended up with one good result... finally getting my very first smartphone in order to try those things, and they're a bit better to hear on anyway with hearing aid compatibility (ha... plus now I'm one of those people who loves having that little toy..  ;))

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

November 29, 2012 11:50 pm  #25

you can call me kitty  or  skitty.

yeah....I  like having my smartphone too  mine  is a samsung galaxy 2,  with that big screen. when I go out of town, that phone knows where I'm at!!     Even  after my 2 yr contract is up,  I  MIGHT  keep  it,   I  just  don't know.   I  use mine for internet,  and for kindle e reader--and for sprint mobile IP relay--  so  I'm  getting my  moneys worth.    I  use  Hamilton Relay  for  my  landline.    and yes  it's on the google play apps...just never tried it.   

DISNEY  had the rear  window  caption thing.  remember Captain EO  with Michael Jackson?   That's where I first used it.  But  in  most  major cities like sacramento or los angeles,  they would have rear window captioning.  .   It  depends upon which theater chain you go to.   
No,  my theater doesn't have rear window caps in MY  town.  They  just have that flexible straw screen thing,  where you're reading the captions on the small screen attached to the pole,  while you're watching the movie on the big screen.   If  I  can  find a link I'll post it.   I  don't recall what it's called. 

when I was in Santa Ana, CA  I  went to a theater which was showing   TITANIC   1997  with Open Captions,  right there on the screen.     boy  what a thrill.    My  theater does this  too  SOMETIMES  but   they wait till after the movie has become less popular. 

russell  what happened to your picture?  all I see is a red x  and blackness where the pic should be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 30, 2012 5:04 am  #26

Yeah, exactly.  Just wasn't that 'taken' by the first try's lag and minor slips in what was being said versus captioned with 3G on phone, and like said, not really in the habit of it, only talking on phone when absolutely have to.  Maybe should work on it again.

Heh, and yes, again, skitty!  Cool....  never even heard over the years about the Disney stuff, but it's pretty obvious -someone- big would have started doing that, and just neat how it spread.  Never gotten to see opened captioned... man, sounds nice.  Thanks to checking that Captionfish site I mentioned, I know there's about three theaters in cities surrounding us that use stuff... the majority of them listed using the Sony glasses or rear window (or 'descriptive video' for the blind)... and as you said, just once in a while, I"ll see an open-captioned one on there, a while after opening weekend.  Not that I've really hit them up all that much unfortunately...  PP  Just the one time last summer for the movie I was excited about, since it's a bit of an endeavor to drive/pay for except for something I'm dying to see... just nice to have the possibility.  And... um... but the little smoky screen attached to the straw-thing/flexible gooseneck that you stick in the cupholder, that reflects the LED words off the marquee thing on the back (rear) wall... that is called the rear-window caption!  (http://ncam.wgbh.org/mopix/faq.html has some neat further details about it)   What are you referring to instead?  Oh... oh wait... my bad, just took a quick look at Captionfish again... I was only familiar with the two other ways of captioning (other than the glasses), and realized I was unfamiliar with the other thing on there called Captiview, which is probably what meant.  Huh... the way you were describing, it does look quite like rear-window, just gets it differently.  Eh... none of the nearby cities have it, anyway...     Kinda like a statement I made previously in this thread or another about getting to enjoy all the same media entertainment online or real life in this age of technology and varied sources of media consumption.... be nice if the tech was a little easier/commonly implemented in all areas!
But good to have what we do.  Speaking of which, hey... did you ever get your little technical annoyance fix?  Can sympathize, going through a thing with my own right now.  Thanks for the comments!

Board footera