BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2012 11:59 am  #1

Remembering 9 - 11

It's that time again when we should be thankful for all we have and for some be thankful for those they have known.

The shows have started on pay TV, the stories have started appearing in newspapers & magazines.
But the heartache never really goes away for many people.

I selfishly always thank the powers that be that I live in a country isolated from all others.
I also give thanks for knowing Trina and remember her fondly.

I remember at the time when I came home from work around 11pm & saw it on TV, I said then to my daughter & her boyfriend "this will start a war'. Even then however, we didn't know it was deliberate. I just knew it was bloody bad! He agreed, she told me to not be so melodramatic.

In 11 years since, I have watched heartache, pain and then racial tension to the extreme engulf and overtake people.
I have seen some of that subside, I hope for the sake of mankind it continues to 'get better' and blame can be left with the one who has been ultimately responsible & has paid the ultimate price.

I live in hope that the healing will continue, the conspiracies that only hurt people will stop and we move forward as a race to a better future.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Remembering 9 - 11

I've not heard many perspectives on 9/11 from someone who doesn't live here in the States. I think all of us will remember where we were when the first plane hit--I was on my way to work as a supervisor at a bank, but it was still early and so things were still confusing. We were opening when the news came of what was happening, and none of us could keep it together. People were swarming the bank withdrawing all of their money, so my vault started running out of cash and I had to limit people to $1,000. Some guy screamed at and berated me because I couldn't give him his money, and I told him, "Sir, the last thing I'm worried about right now is your money or mine..." We all said the same thing you did, that it would start a war. Of course, in the early part of the day we didn't know if the war was already starting or what the heck was going on. It was very, very frightening.

Conspiracy theories piss me off, to be frank. And people who say we "had it coming" piss me off even more. It's getting better. It's not as raw as it was (though I still can't watch footage of the attack without sobbing), but I sincerely hope people don't dilute their feelings about that day so much that it just becomes a page in history to them. I think the only way to heal is for people to remember what it was like, and go from there.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 5, 2012 12:18 pm  #3

Well I hate conspiracy theories. What happened, happened.
Just look through this forum, wild theories ( not being nasty to anyone here) ; with an imagination (which is what makes us human) anyone can cook up an alternative.
But what good does it do?
It hurts those who lost loved ones; it churns it up over & over again. All because someone's imagination goes wild.
There's a time & place for imaginations running wild; in real life is NOT the place.

Yes, many of us here in Australia had ties to someone who lost their lives.  The same could be said for the rest of the world really.
The difference is, we weren't the target & hopefully we never will be.
Hopefully no-one ever will be again, but that is wishful thinking.

Cherish what you have & who you have. That is how we all should live our lives.
I find the best way to honour those who lost lives during this horrific event, is make an extra effort to hug someone on the day in question.

It can't hurt can it?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 12:21 pm  #4

Banbha wrote:

"Sir, the last thing I'm worried about right now is your money or mine..." We all said the same thing you did, that it would start a war. Of course, in the early part of the day we didn't know if the war was already starting or what the heck was going on. It was very, very frightening.

People all react in different ways I guess. I know you are not condemning the man. But for those who may think of that, he may have been trying to get all he could for his family. Who knows? Had things been worse, he may have been a very lucky man in the end.

I think many people over there would have had a big wake up call & thought about how they reacted, even if not being anywhere near the tragedy.
It does make you think huh?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 12:31 pm  #5

I can remember exactly where I was, having my nails done in the days when I bothered with such things. Later  I found out that the bank my husband was working at in The City (London) was also regarded, along with all the other big banks, as being under imminent danger of attack.

We also had the terrible events of 7/7 to deal with later. Sadly these were on my daughter's birthday and last day at primary school. The leaver's concert was a very subdued occasion. They seemed even worse (if that was possible) as they occurred a day after London won the bid for the Olympics. Although we had been used to the violence and atrocities associated with The Troubles in Northern Ireland with bombings and assassinations on mainland Britain as well.

These events all show how and why extremism in any shape or form is so dangerous, divisive and terrible.

I hope for a better, kinder and more tolerant world where all can live in peace and harmony.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 5, 2012 12:34 pm  #6

I definitely agree with you, kazza. I think we all panicked since we had absolutely no idea what was going on, who was behind it, etc. I guess I sort of went into protection mode for myself and my employees; we were breaking down emotionally and yet we had to finish our day--it wouldn't have mattered if we closed early, we were near a gas station with lines winding around and down the highway so we couldn't get out. But anyway, I didn't want someone to break my employees down any further than they already were.

Davina, I remember being incredibly frightened over 7/7 as I think we all were. Jeez that was...I don't know. I hope I never live through another time like that.

Last edited by Banbha (September 5, 2012 12:36 pm)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 5, 2012 12:40 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

I hope for a better, kinder and more tolerant world where all can live in peace and harmony.

We all do.
No race or religion is responsible for these things, only wayward souls who have lost the meaning of life.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 1:17 pm  #8

And those who exploit them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 5, 2012 1:47 pm  #9

Yes and there are people exploiting others everywhere.
When people take the time to stand up to anyone who does this and say ' stop it' at every single opportunity, then and only then will we have a chance.

But people won't, because they are scared of 'how they will look' even in the smallest instances. We may well be wrong on some accounts but we must always take the chance at saying
"Stop! What are you doing? Why?" When we get those answers we can make judgements on whether things are good or bad.
So what if you look like a goose in the end? It will start sending messages to everyone around that people won't accept exploitation; won't accept racism. won't accept sexism, won't accept anyism.
If you think anything is wrong anywhere, say so!
At worst, you get a good sunburn effect if just for a few moments; it won't change your life.
But if the reason was justified, it very well WILL change many lives.
Your life is good; it will survive a small embarrassment if wrong.
If right, someone's life is better.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera