BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2012 1:32 pm  #141

Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Ivy wrote:

I love them both so much!  Can't wait to see Martin...

They are soo perfect! 
I looking forward to seeing Martin, too.

December 4, 2012 1:38 pm  #142

Just saw Martin on The Today show.  His interview was really brief and I was surprised that it was just him.  I was under the impression that several members of the cast were going to be there.  He looked good, but they interviewed him outside so he looked a bit cold as well.  I imagine he'll be heading straight over to his Letterman taping now.

December 4, 2012 2:36 pm  #143

Sherly wrote:

The Colbert Report with Sir Ian McKellen

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/mon-december-3-2012-ian-mckellen

Great man. Great interview. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2012 2:53 pm  #144

whistling in the dark wrote:

Just saw Martin on The Today show.  His interview was really brief and I was surprised that it was just him.  I was under the impression that several members of the cast were going to be there.  He looked good, but they interviewed him outside so he looked a bit cold as well.  I imagine he'll be heading straight over to his Letterman taping now.

I just saw him too.  He looks amazingly adorable as always - very youthful and boyish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 4, 2012 8:01 pm  #145

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50069644#50069644

Very charming.   And nice that he confirmed that Sherlock will resume production in March.   The response
to that "has been…  amazing."

Looking forward to this evening's appearances on the Colbert Report and David Letterman.

December 4, 2012 10:15 pm  #146

You know, I've now had a chance to think about Martin's appearance on the Today show; and while I loved seeing him, I think I'm a little miffed at the way he was treated there.  It definitely felt like he was relegated to second-class citizenship.  He had to stand outside on the plaza and the interview was very brief and on the fly.  Matt Damon and Sir Ian had the privledge of being interviewed at length in the cozy studios.  So I wonder how Martin really felt about the whole situation this morning. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter, he was a very good sport about it all and perhaps he had to be brief to get to those other tapings.  Looking forward to Letterman and Colbert tonight.  Hope they'll allow him more air time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 4, 2012 10:48 pm  #147

Yeah, but since those Today show hosts are goofballs anyway, and don't really interview especially well,  I'm actually glad it was informal,  fast, and that Martin got to interact directly with fans outside.

Colbert, on the other hand, is beside himself with glee over Hobbit week on his show,  Tolkien geek that he is.  That should be a fun interview.  I love the Middle Earth style labeled map of America the show has been opening with, along with his Hobbit studio set,  his souvenir 'Sting' sword from filming his cameo appearance in the actual film, etc.  Ian McKellen was very funny yesterday.  Martin will probably have a good time there.

December 4, 2012 10:55 pm  #148

I wouldn't analyze it too much, honestly.  The Today Show is always pointless fluff except in the rare cases of unexpected drama, which I wouldn't have wanted anyway during Martin's brief segment.  It's not unusual for them to interview celebrities outside, and I actually prefer it that way when the weather is nice.  I'm sure the fans were delighted to have Martin out there with them rather than in the studio.  He was collecting toys for the Toys 4 Tots drive before his interview segment, which made me smile.  It was disappointing that he had such a short interview, but I do think the fact that he was taping three other shows today had a lot to do with that.

December 5, 2012 1:32 am  #149

Thanks very much, jenosborn and Sherly, for posting the link to Martin's interview and Sir iIan's.  I don't have access to any of these shows when they're broadcast so I really appreciate being to catch them through links posted here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 5, 2012 8:47 am  #150

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 5, 2012 9:18 am  #151

Thanks Ivy for posting these highlights!

Great gray suit!

I loved the audience reaction when Sherlock is mentioned, and his comment re: how Hobbits can hold their own against dragons re: the sexiness factor,  very cute. 
I like that Stephen Colbert is excited about Sherlock too (Letterman doesn't"t have it on his radar at all.. though he's been longtime fanboy of U.K.'s The Office...)

and the lego toys!  outstanding.  including the fact that there will be a 'Legless Legalus Lego' - nice!

December 5, 2012 3:53 pm  #152

Today I got a text of my mother (roughly translated from German):

I just found out Martin Freeman also plays the Hobbit Bilbo Baggins not only Dr. John Watson.
You have to tell me stuff like that ;)

I thought it was sort of cute ^^ but I can't imagine not having worshiped Martin and his upcoming cinema roles at least once...

MK

December 5, 2012 3:55 pm  #153

But your mother likes Martin Freeman, that's what matters. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2012 7:19 pm  #154

I loved Martin's suit on Letterman. So dapper and funny. Very nice to see. Odd how Letterman gets The Office, but not Sherlock. Well, kudos to Martin. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 5, 2012 7:31 pm  #155

is there a video of the whole Letterman interview? Cannot find one?

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 5, 2012 9:12 pm  #156

December 5, 2012 10:45 pm  #157

Could it possibly be because Letterman is on CBS and Sherlock isn't?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 6, 2012 1:59 am  #158

Davina wrote:

Could it possibly be because Letterman is on CBS and Sherlock isn't?

Yeah, and 'Elementary' is on CBS, isn't it.  Letterman was probably 'warned'.

December 6, 2012 2:50 am  #159

Martin wasn't there to plug Sherlock, he was there to plug The Hobbit.  There was no reason for Sherlock to be mentioned at all.  Letterman brought up The Office because he is a genuine fan of the show and it's probably the only thing that he knows of Martin's work.  There is no rule in place about discussing shows from competing networks, and even if there were PBS and CBS are not competitors.

December 6, 2012 8:48 am  #160

Board footera