BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2012 11:39 am  #101

Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

.. and I will be at the premiere.. should I pass any greetings on to Martin?

November 24, 2012 3:57 pm  #102

sam wrote:

Cool!   But I wonder if New Zealanders get annoyed by all of this?

harleyq wrote:

I shouldn't think they would. I mean, Peter has really put their country on the map, so to speak. I suppose it could get annoying...

An article in today's New York Times directly addresses this concern.  Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/24/business/media/new-zealand-wants-a-hollywood-put-on-its-map.html?adxnnl=1&ref=todayspaper&adxnnlx=1353769602-m0HKQ6yOE6m7qTQ9LlNAPA&pagewanted=all

Look at the photos just under the article's title and you can see two of Martin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

November 24, 2012 11:49 pm  #103

Short answer? Yes, some New Zealanders got very annoyed. However, those profiting from it (financially or in status, e.g., by having been an extra or having family members working on it) were quite proud of it. Many wondered why people still made a 'fuss about it' once the last movie had premiered. the answer, of course, is that many lives had been changed. Plenty more insight at http://nzier.live.egressive.com/sites/nzier.live.egressive.com/files/Scoping_the_lasting_effects_of_the_LOTR.pdf.

November 24, 2012 11:59 pm  #104

Does this mean that New Zealand is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 25, 2012 11:29 am  #105

Martin arrived at Auckland for The Hobbit World Premiere.

November 25, 2012 9:59 pm  #106

The Doctor wrote:

Short answer? Yes, some New Zealanders got very annoyed. However, those profiting from it (financially or in status, e.g., by having been an extra or having family members working on it) were quite proud of it. Many wondered why people still made a 'fuss about it' once the last movie had premiered. the answer, of course, is that many lives had been changed. Plenty more insight at http://nzier.live.egressive.com/sites/nzier.live.egressive.com/files/Scoping_the_lasting_effects_of_the_LOTR.pdf.

Whoa, it goes deeper than I thought! I don't have time to read it all but very interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

November 26, 2012 4:41 am  #107

The Doctor wrote:

.. I will be at the premiere..

Cool!

The Doctor wrote:

.. should I pass any greetings on to Martin?

Hmm, yes -- "Thank you!"

November 26, 2012 9:04 am  #108

November 26, 2012 9:06 am  #109

The Hobbit flies in!

Air New Zealand flight crew pose with Hobbit-themed eye masks and flight socks as part of the airline's promotion

November 26, 2012 10:36 am  #110

Oh how beautiful that plane is 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 26, 2012 5:30 pm  #111

Yay.  My friend just messaged me to say she's booked us in for The Hobbit, 13 Dec, for my Xmas pressie!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 27, 2012 8:53 am  #112

Stars of The Hobbit at Zealandia - so many stars in the valley today our kiwi must have thought it was night time!

https://twitter.com/Visit_ZEALANDIA/status/272948434300981248

November 27, 2012 8:54 am  #113

November 27, 2012 8:56 am  #114

New 'Hobbit' Production Diary Reveals Peter Jackson Still Hasn't Finished This Thing

See how with days before The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey's premiere, and only a few weeks before the wide release, the film's post-production team is still working around the clock to get everything done on time in this latest production diary from Peter Jackson. Hope for the best, because if these guys don't somehow get it finished by mid-December, theaters are just going to show a particularly adventuresome episode of Step by Step and hope it plays.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Video #9

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2012/11/new-hobbit-production-diary-reveals-pete.php

November 27, 2012 7:51 pm  #115

The Hobbit - Sneak Peek

November 28, 2012 7:35 am  #116

The Hobbit Premiere

November 28, 2012 8:02 am  #117

I LOVE THEM ALL!!! 

November 28, 2012 6:19 pm  #118

Just saw a report about the Hobbit premiere and some scenes on heute news. I don't like Martins German voice.

His own voice always sounds like he has a head cold, it's quite sexy. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 29, 2012 12:27 am  #119

I really enjoyed the video about doing post-production for The Hobbit.  I know it's heresy but I'll probably think that was more fun than the movie itself, since I'm not a fan of Tolkien: I fell asleep halfway through watching a DVD of the first LOTR movie!  But, having made a few documentaries for educational use, I find the process of movie-making very interesting so thanks for posting that one, Sherly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

November 29, 2012 2:12 am  #120

Ivy wrote:

Just saw a report about the Hobbit premiere and some scenes on heute news. I don't like Martins German voice.

They never seem to get a good match for the original actors' voices, do they?  I once saw an episode of Gilligan's Island dubbed in German.  Bob Denver ("Gilligan") actually had a very nice baritone voice, but they dubbed him with a squeaky little voice.  Presumably they thought that was funnier, but it sounded all wrong to me.

What sort of voice did they stick poor Bilbo with?

Ivy wrote:

His own voice always sounds like he has a head cold, it's quite sexy.

It sounds kind of silly when you phrase it that way, but I know exactly what you mean -- a bit husky but still mellow.  Distinctive.  I like it too.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (November 29, 2012 4:29 am)

Board footera