BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2012 6:52 am  #1

Lucy Liu To play Watson in CBS modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot

Just found a link to this on facebook: http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-to-play-watson-in-cbs-modern-sherlock-holmes-pilot-elementary/

I can't really say that i am too exited about a female watson  And right now i don't think anything can beat Sherlock. The show just seem too American ( don't want to insult anyone! ), and the fact that they made Watson female is just so it can be sexual tension without it being gay. But, you never know! It might be a really good series

So whats your oppinions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 28, 2012 12:05 pm  #2

Re: Lucy Liu To play Watson in CBS modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot

Female Watson? Hmm. Think it will change the essential dynamic between the two main characters. Not convinced, sorry. It could end up like so many other US police/ private detective type dramas.

Is that so they can prove it is sufficiently different from the BBC Sherlock that they can avoid legal action, I wonder?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2012 1:58 pm  #3

I think they'll probably avoid legal action that way, but I also think it's really gonna suck!

One of the most interesting aspects of the Sherlock/John relationships is the fact that they are two guys living together and working so closely together on a daily basis. Whether you think the sexual tenstion aspect is played for laughs or whether you take it seriously is none of my business but the fact is, they have a fascinating and unique relationship which is unlike any other. I think if Watson was female it would just be so...for want of a better word...DULL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 28, 2012 9:12 pm  #4

...And this is one of the reasons i won't be watching the CBS version

[Sherlock buzzes Van Coon's neighbor]
Eddie's Neighbour: Hello?
Sherlock Holmes: Hi, um, I live in the flat just below you. I don't think we've met!
Eddie's Neighbour: No, well, er, I just moved in.
Sherlock Holmes: [grimaces] Actually, I just locked my keys in my flat!
Eddie's Neighbour: You want me to buzz you in?
Sherlock Holmes: Yeah, and can I use your balcony?
Eddie's Neighbour: What?
[Cuts to Sherlock jumping off of her balcony onto the one below it]

Lestrade: And exactly how many times did he fall out a window?
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, detective. I lost count.

I have two awesome signatures. : D

February 28, 2012 10:35 pm  #5

Maybe they will make Sherlock female as well!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 29, 2012 1:57 am  #6

Then they could still do gay jokes, lol!

March 8, 2012 6:49 pm  #7

Don't you find it a weird coincidence that Johnny Lee Miller who co-starred in the National Theatres's Frankenstein with Benedict is going to play the Sherlock in the CBS version?

March 8, 2012 6:56 pm  #8

Not very imaginative...to say the least! 

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 10, 2012 6:36 am  #9

hmm.. I'm curious what kind story they will give to us.. but still I prefer Sherlock

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 10, 2012 10:18 pm  #10

I am pretty curious about it to. But we shall wait and see. It can't possibly be as bad as it seems XD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

March 10, 2012 10:35 pm  #11

I'll probably still give it a chance. At first I didn't want to watch BBC Sherlock because I thought modernising it wouldn't work - now look at me, obsessed!

March 10, 2012 10:38 pm  #12

Will try to watch with an open mind, difficult that, and reserve judgment.

March 21, 2012 7:10 pm  #13

Steven Moffat has commented on this story today...I personally think it's a really daft idea and having read this interview, smacks of sour grapes because the BBC kicked the idea of a US adaptation of their version to the kerb.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17453924

Hope that link works..

March 21, 2012 11:45 pm  #14

I saw this a couple days ago and my reaction was a bit less then positive. Okay, a LOT less. Seriously? Why make Watson female? Not that I have anything against females, but as Sherlock Holmes (the one who posted above) said, it messes with the unique relationship between Sherlock and JOHN. Not Joan.

Ugh. I probably will watch at least the first couple episodes of the show, but past that... I don't know. I'll have to see how good the pilot is first, haha.

Well, at least we have Sherlock! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 22, 2012 2:43 pm  #15

I was willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt until I read Moffat's response to it, and how they apparently sought BBC's approval for a remake, got turned down, and just went ahead with it, changing a few details.

If it gets picked up by the network (which isn't guaranteed, as evidenced by the recent failure of the Wonder Woman pilot), at least we can be certain that it will be compared endlessly to the BBC version in the press, and I kind of doubt it will measure up to those comparisons.

Board footera