BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2012 7:59 am  #21

Re: John questioned by his psychologist

"Dedust" sounds a bit like "deduce". I guess it was just this new -itis mentioned elsewhere in this forum that does strange things to your brain. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2012 8:01 am  #22

Actually I DID think of deduce when I read dedust the first time!!! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 30, 2012 9:59 am  #23

My iPad corrected dedusting to deducing first of all. Hmm...dust collecting...could this be the start of a new hobby? If so I think I have a head start! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 30, 2012 2:59 pm  #24

Wasn't it Sherlock who thought dust was "eloquant"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 30, 2012 5:06 pm  #25

Jepp! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 27, 2012 1:50 am  #26

Are you certain "dusting" means removing dust? What about "dusting" for fingerprints? Or "dusting" yourself with powder?

...speaking of dictionaries...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... there's just one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don't be dead.

September 27, 2012 6:08 am  #27

True. Or dusting a cake with icing sugar (see cooking thread). However in this context it meant getting rid of the dust.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 9, 2012 8:44 pm  #28

Hello all, new here

I re-watched Reichenbach last night and noticed something that I can't find discussed anywhere... Right after John checks Sherlock's pulse, and gets pulled away, he says "Jesus no... God no..." He then clearly mouths something else that we don't get to hear. Any good lip readers out there?

Maybe what his therapist was asking about?

Last edited by Imogene Tilden (October 9, 2012 8:44 pm)

October 9, 2012 9:18 pm  #29

This is after he says: he's my friend, isn't it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 9, 2012 9:21 pm  #30

Welcome here aboard, Imogen! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 9, 2012 9:51 pm  #31

Imogene Tilden wrote:

Hello all, new here   I re-watched Reichenbach last night and noticed something that I can't find discussed anywhere... Right after John checks Sherlock's pulse, and gets pulled away, he says "Jesus no... God no..." He then clearly mouths something else that we don't get to hear. Any good lip readers out there? Maybe what his therapist was asking about?

OMG, yet another reason to watch TRF again? You'd think after 10 viewings and at least 20 of this street scene you're talking about here, I'd know the answer, but I don't.  Time to get the DVDs out again.

Welcome to the forum!

October 10, 2012 2:52 am  #32

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I wonder if the editing of the therapist scene in the US broadcast ends up making this stand out more. The scene starts with John's therapist saying "... but didn't say it." I read that there was a line of dialogue before this in the UK broadcast that was cut in the US. If we're getting events in the fall scene after the bicycle hit filtered through John (the woozy sound and visuals) then perhaps he never actually "said" those words out loud. Last word looks to me like "him"...

October 10, 2012 3:52 am  #33

Imogene Tilden wrote:

I wonder if the editing of the therapist scene in the US broadcast ends up making this stand out more. The scene starts with John's therapist saying "... but didn't say it." I read that there was a line of dialogue before this in the UK broadcast that was cut in the US. If we're getting events in the fall scene after the bicycle hit filtered through John (the woozy sound and visuals) then perhaps he never actually "said" those words out loud. Last word looks to me like "him"...

I watched it again,but I don't lipread, so can't make out what John says to the lady who's helping hold him up, just before they take the body away. It's not on the subtitles. Could be anything, I suppose.

Unfortunately, Masterpiece cut some small scenes of TRF, in order to make the show fit its PBS format. Which I didn't know until I bought the DVDs.

The one that mattered the most was directly after the fall, a brief scene of Mycroft in his club, reading a newspaper that was screaming headlines about Sherlock's suicide and being a fake, and then of John, barefoot, in the sitting room of 221B, looking...like he'd just lost his best friend.

That goes directly to the therapist scene (a continuation of the first scene of TRF):
Therapist: There's stuff that you wanted to say.
John: Yes.
T:.....but didn't say it.
J: Yeah.
T: Say it now.
J: No. I'm sorry. I can't.

I have always presumed that meant there was stuff he'd wanted to say to Sherlock and never did, or possibly stuff he wanted to tell her about Sherlock, but never did. Whichever, he didn't feel as though he could (or didn't want to) talk about any of that just then.  This goes directly to him and Mrs. Hudson driving to the cemetery.

October 10, 2012 6:03 am  #34

I think the stuff he cannot say in front of the therapist is exactly what he says to Sherlock (well his grave) in the cemetary.

October 16, 2012 12:46 am  #35

@ancientsgate I finally got around to watching the uncut version, and it does take away the apparent significance of that line. Amazing what a little editing can do! (And makes me more than a little miffed.) I would still love to know what he said though...

October 16, 2012 6:08 am  #36

I have always taken Davina's viewpoint,
What John doesn't say to his counsellor, is exactly what he does say at the grave...
One slight proviso...
I inittally wondered whether John would actually have difficulty accepting Sherlock is dead and whether we'd see the psychologist trying to get him to acknowledge this as fact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2013 5:54 am  #37

Davina wrote:

I think it refers to what John has bottled up inside him regarding Sherlock's suicide but also his other unresolved issues with trust and his experiences in Afghanistan. She also asks him, 'Why now? It's been 18 months.' She is encouraging him to talk about his emotions, feelings, grief etc. this is 'the stuff'. Also things he may have wished to say to Sherlock when he was alive, especially before he jumped from the roof, that he didn't. In addition he may also feel that if he had said more, differently, then Sherlock would not have committed suicide.

I feel so sorry for John, he always ends up as Sherlocks guinea pig

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 23, 2013 6:52 am  #38

This isn't quite John being used as a guinea pig.
I think he just happened to be there.
But he is a target and must believe Sherlock to be dead.

January 23, 2013 11:47 am  #39

I always wonder why he went to the same therapist again. I mean it is quite clear that she broke her medical confidentiality when you recall the first meeting between Mycroft and John. (Or they bugged her office or broke into it to steal his record?)
Maybe it is because she is kind of Sherlock related.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 23, 2013 11:51 am  #40

sherlockian111 wrote:

I feel so sorry for John, he always ends up as Sherlocks guinea pig

Reminds me of the scripture that says something like (I'm paraphrasing) greater love has no man, that he lay down his life for his friends.   Being a true friend can be a difficult row to hoe-- standing by and with friends, in the bad times, not just the good, can be like giving up a part of yourself. IMO such friendship is exceedingly rare in this world; most people bail on you when the going gets tough. So I don't see John as anyone's guinea pig, but he sure as heck is joe faithful.

Board footera