BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2012 11:00 am  #141

Re: RAT. WEDDING. BOW.

Ooh!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 16, 2012 11:50 am  #142

yeahhh.... what a.. great story..

^_^

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin-elk ridge knives

Last edited by gaaranet (November 20, 2012 12:54 pm)

November 19, 2012 1:38 pm  #143

Re:RAT.
I have a suggestion that,surprisingly nobody else seems to have hit upon. Could RAT refer to 'THE NORWOOD BUILDER'?
This story is the second after THE EMPTY HOUSE in the Return of Sherlock Holmes series. Aside from it meeting the canonical
approach by Messrs Moffatt and Gattiss, the story's main villain literally spends most of the time Holed up behind a false wall in his
house,and when exposed at the Story's conclusion Holmes says to Lestrade and Watson  "Well, now, let us see where this rat has
been lurking."

I have read the other posts where it has been guessed that RAT may refer to 'The giant rat of Sumatra' or 'The Boscombe valley mystery'.
However,i believe the case for 'The Norwood Builder' is much stronger for the reasons given.
A: The story is canonical,directly after Holmes' return.
B: The fact that the Villain is Holed up like a Rat behind a wall.
C: That Phrase again by Holmes: "Well, now, let us see where this rat has been lurking."

I could be completely wrong,but am glad to come up with something different to dwell on.

November 19, 2012 2:30 pm  #144

BlackHeart wrote:

Re:RAT.
I have a suggestion that,surprisingly nobody else seems to have hit upon. Could RAT refer to 'THE NORWOOD BUILDER'?
This story is the second after THE EMPTY HOUSE in the Return of Sherlock Holmes series. Aside from it meeting the canonical
approach by Messrs Moffatt and Gattiss, the story's main villain literally spends most of the time Holed up behind a false wall in his
house,and when exposed at the Story's conclusion Holmes says to Lestrade and Watson  "Well, now, let us see where this rat has
been lurking."

I have read the other posts where it has been guessed that RAT may refer to 'The giant rat of Sumatra' or 'The Boscombe valley mystery'.
However,i believe the case for 'The Norwood Builder' is much stronger for the reasons given.
A: The story is canonical,directly after Holmes' return.
B: The fact that the Villain is Holed up like a Rat behind a wall.
C: That Phrase again by Holmes: "Well, now, let us see where this rat has been lurking."

I could be completely wrong,but am glad to come up with something different to dwell on.

Welcome, BlackHeart!

And thank you very much for your contribution!
Personally, I must admit I have not read "The Norwood Builder", so I drew my assumptions (re Boscombe valley mystery) from the canon I know.
Your idea sounds very interesting and quite feasible.
If we look at such clues as "woman" from last season, it is absolutely possible that "Rat" refers to a person described as (living like) a rat.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 20, 2012 12:53 pm  #145

hi all. yeahh what a great story..

February 23, 2013 11:14 am  #146

Bow could refer to a violin bow. Is there any particular story in which his violin plays an important role? I have yet to read one but then, I haven't read all the stories. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

February 23, 2013 11:25 am  #147

I think we were told it's 'bow' as in' take a bow'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2013 11:37 am  #148

We are? Well, I can still tie that to a violin. What if he gives a violin concert and then takes a bow? 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

February 24, 2013 4:14 am  #149

Lupin wrote:

RAT:

The Boscombe Valley mystery has an indirect reference to a rat.

My thought as well, I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the reference.

-- 
Sonnets are cool http://365daysofverse.com

March 17, 2013 2:29 pm  #150

I'm not sure where else to post this, but I found it today and I wanted to share:

For some reason, I had to get out my book and highlight the same stuff, and I was really excited about it....

Edited to add link: try this: http://thescienceofjohnlock.tumblr.com/image/45107897660

{Also, in my book, it's pp 911-912}

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (March 17, 2013 3:18 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

March 17, 2013 3:06 pm  #151

Hm apparently the picture doesn't work. Maybe a link would do it as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 17, 2013 3:07 pm  #152

Sometimes it seems to take quite a while until a picture is loaded...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 17, 2013 3:21 pm  #153

Oh, in fact, that's interesting. Those three words on the same book page. I thought these words were only meant for three different storys from the canon. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 17, 2013 3:25 pm  #154

I did, too. At least until I came across this on tumblr this morning. Now I'm re-reading that story to look for clues. I can't say that everyday I'm not more fascinated...the irony is that I was looking at the yellow smiley face on the wall of 221B last night on the DVD and thinking about the "return" stories, just wondering how many new canon references we would be able to find in the upcoming episodes and then this.

I'm wondering now if it is meant in this context--and especially "bow." Because I wasn't sure if it was "bow" like what you do to show someone respect, or "bow" the long handle you use when playing a violin.

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (March 17, 2013 3:26 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

March 17, 2013 7:41 pm  #155

I think we were told that "bow" was as in "he bowed before the king". 

April 10, 2013 7:07 pm  #156

Just as I thought...and fits nicely in with the IOU thing.

April 10, 2013 10:30 pm  #157

Swanpride wrote:

They just revealed that the title of 3.2 will be "Sign of Three" - I guess that clears up the wedding clue.

Hmm. Knowing how the writers like to mix up the canon, I'm not fully convinced it's John who may/may not get married. JMO

April 11, 2013 3:33 pm  #158

tardislass wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

They just revealed that the title of 3.2 will be "Sign of Three" - I guess that clears up the wedding clue.

Hmm. Knowing how the writers like to mix up the canon, I'm not fully convinced it's John who may/may not get married. JMO

Neither am I. John doesn't actually get married in Sign of Four either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 11, 2013 4:53 pm  #159

I don't think he'll get married either. I think Sherlock and John will be invited to a wedding, and there'll be some kind of mystery they have to solve

April 12, 2013 7:15 am  #160

I think John's wedding will be immaterial.
He could still be WITH a ' Mary' character.

Board footera