BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2014 12:51 pm  #141

Re: August: Osage County

Having watched just the trailer I already know I will leave the movie subdued.. so I´m fighting with myself if I should go and see it. I´m not into family drama (have had enough of that myself for a lifetime ) and not so much into Meryl Streep..but it´s Ben, his part sounds interesting and he sings.. ah, I don´t know yet.

March 20, 2014 2:36 pm  #142

I've seen the movie a while ago, and I actually quite liked it, although in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I thought both Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts were fantastic. They pretty much carried the mvoie.

Zatoichi, if you're planning on watching the movie just for Ben, you might be in for some disappointment. He doesn't have a large amount of screen time, and while it was sweet, I didn't think the singing scene was anything spectacular. I was actually more impressed with his very first scene, where he gets quite emotional. I couldn't say for sure, but I'd say his overall screen time in the movie amounts to not much more than five minutes. He is there for the infamous dinner scene, but he's only featured occasionally, and he doesn't have many lines in it.

--------------------------------------------
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

March 20, 2014 4:34 pm  #143

Still think it's a lovely role and I still would recommend the film!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 22, 2014 11:30 pm  #144

That was powerful and utterly heartbreaking.  Painful to watch at times but well worth seeing.

What a cast.  With so many characters there's limited time for development.  But as it is said there is no such thing as small parts only small actors.  This was a cast of giants.  

Of course a fine example of that was our Ben.  With only a couple of scenesand bits of dialogue he created a fully fleshed out person.  We knew LIttle Charles and understood him.  We felt for him.

But Ben wasn't the only one.  In my opinion pretty much everyone nailed their parts. 

Meryl Streep has always been and will always been a master.  She is amazing to watch.  

Was very impressed with Julianne Nicholson as Ivy.  Spent a lot of time trying to remember where I've seen her before.  Turns out she's in one of my favorite Stephen King adaptions, Storm of the Century!

On the shallow end for a monment I totally swooned during the piano scene.  Ben's voice, the soft lighting, the look in his eyes as he sings to Ivy.   Just   Just   *thud*

I can see where this wasn't a huge hit.  It's not an easy movie.  No redemption, no answers, no happy ending.  Just a hard slice of life.  But I thought it was an excellet piece of film.

Last edited by tonnaree (March 22, 2014 11:32 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 23, 2014 11:50 am  #145

Well, I don't think it is really a GOOD movie. The performances are terrific, but the movie - as a movie - suffers from not being able to distance itself from the play, IMO. May be it was an error to ask Tracy Letts to adapt his own piece into film script. He is obviously so much in love with his own creation that he just cut some bits here and there. Now, theatre and cinema are not the same medium, have different means of expression and require an independent approach to the plot. Therefore - actors superb, the film itself - not so much. 

March 23, 2014 2:28 pm  #146

Never having seen or read the play I couldn't tell you what's different.  In what way did they need to "distance" themselves?  Honestly curous in your further opinion.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 23, 2014 2:57 pm  #147

I agree.
It cannot be assumed people even know it was a play.
Seeing it unknown as a film, made it fantastic to me.

Last edited by besleybean (March 23, 2014 2:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 24, 2014 3:03 pm  #148

tonnaree wrote:

Never having seen or read the play I couldn't tell you what's different.  In what way did they need to "distance" themselves?  Honestly curous in your further opinion.

Oh dear, I am not sure my English skills are good enough to explain it . While both theatre and film dialogue are polifunctional, theatre is essentialy verbal art while film is a visual art in which dialogue tends to have a supporting role. Therefore, some elements that need to be told in the thetre text are usually just shown in the film. The tricky thing with films based on theatre is that seemingly you have a ready dialogue you just need to put in the movie. The fact is, however, that as such it often feels too "heavy" in a movie (not only AOC problem, of course). I don't want to get boring with a detailed analysis, so let's just give two examples: some critics complained that Meryl was "over the top" in the movie. Well, in a way she was, but not because of something fault in her acting: it is because theatre characters have to be more expressive than "normal" people to get their message to the audience. She was given theatrical dialogue therefore she came out as an iper-theatrical character.
Or another example from the opening scene: many of the things Beverly tells Johanna are necessary in the theatre in order to let the audience know who, what, where, when and why. In the film some of these information could have been easily shifted to visual means.

I didn't read the text before having seen the film, but because then I got curious and wanted to compare the script with the original piece.

March 24, 2014 3:21 pm  #149

Thanks!  You expressed yourself fine.
I do see what you mean.  This time it just didn't really affect my enjoyment of the film.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 24, 2014 5:00 pm  #150

I actually thought it woukd be a good example to use on a film studies course, comparing the play to the film.
But I think for the film itself, I very much doubt many people have seen the play.

March 25, 2014 10:57 am  #151

Well, I enjoyed the film as well, mainly because of the performances and also because the source material IS very good. However, it did feel to me like a missed opportunity to make it into a GREAT film. The potential surely was there.And yes, it is a very good material for a film studies course. I know that most people who had seen the play on the stage (I hadn't, I only read it) were generally disappointed with the movie.

March 25, 2014 5:33 pm  #152

That's fair enough, I just wondered how many people that would be!

Last edited by besleybean (May 3, 2014 8:43 pm)

March 26, 2014 2:47 pm  #153

Apparently, it was a very popular play on Brodway, but of course a theatre play always reaches less people than even a mediocre film

April 9, 2014 5:13 pm  #154

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 9, 2014 5:18 pm  #155

Awww, poor thing! Actually, he would drive me mad with his sensitivity. But then, right he is.
Come here, sit down - you know where 

Thanks for sharing, Solar! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 9, 2014 5:26 pm  #156

My pleasure!
And yes, you're right, I guess I would get a bit... impatient with him from time to time... but then again, I think I just adore him.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 9, 2014 5:53 pm  #157

Well, probably with us he'd be way more relaxed anyway 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2014 9:45 am  #158

This deleted scene is so touching. I wish they'd left it in, he never got enough screen time IMO.

Do you think the sign about learning to read has any significance? That perhaps he can't, or something?

I'm clueing for looks

April 10, 2014 10:07 am  #159

clareiow wrote:

Do you think the sign about learning to read has any significance? That perhaps he can't, or something?

Hm, I don't think they show us the sign because he can't read, but it might still have some significance to what is going on in the film as a whole.
Learning is mostly associated with children. So the grown-up daughters of Meryl Streep return home, two of them obviously haven't been there for quite some time, and all of a sudden they sort of feel like children again because of their very dominant mother. And even the daughter that lives close to her mother hasn't really been able to grow up, to lead her own life... her mother still tells her how she should wear her hair, that she should use make-up, that she should find a man. I think the three women must feel pretty much like children again when they are around their mother... helpless, speechless...
And I guess we don't even have to talk about Little Charles, because boy, how does his mother treat him... and how does he react to it? Like a little boy, really, he doesn't know what to say, so he stays quiet or is desperately trying to find the right words - and of course he never finds them, instead he drops his mother's casserole... and God, his reaction to that...!! Really like a little child that did something wrong and is now awaiting punishment.

So, "Learn to read" maybe means something along the line of "Grow up! Learn to lead your own life! Make your own decisions!".

April 10, 2014 10:08 am  #160

My first idea about the sign was that it's about time to read the family and their situation. And then make some decisions how to go on.

Board footera