BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2014 8:25 am  #121

Re: August: Osage County

He had me even before that (what a surprise, I know... ), when he's tearing up at the bus stop and then kind of clumsily combs his hair... oh my...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 7, 2014 11:28 am  #122

Oh yeah I melted at that point. But *that* line had me slumping in my seat fanning myself.

And then when he sings...I could actually feel myself blushing and grinning like a schoolgirl. I am a lost cause....

I'm clueing for looks

March 7, 2014 11:33 am  #123

Just imagine what it will do to him when he learns the truth...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 7, 2014 5:27 pm  #124

I don't think he ever will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 9, 2014 2:22 pm  #125

I must be slightly crazy to spend my afternoon in the cinema when the weather is this lovely, but, well... Benedict (among other things) is making me do it. So I guess I'm off to Cologne in about 20 minutes. Expect more feedback afterwards.

March 9, 2014 2:39 pm  #126

Enjoy, it's fabulous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 9, 2014 7:00 pm  #127

Back from the cinema. And, hm.... can't say the film blew me away. I'm still trying to figure out what the point was, other than showing us that some families are really fucked up, that life can be tragic, and that some people are damaged beyond repair. The film ended on such a discordant note.

And I can honestly say: At the very least it made me feel good about coming from a family that is decent, loving and doesn't have too many skeletons in the closet. Well, there's one, but it's nothing like the Osage County bunch.

On a more technical note, I thought the acting was fantastic. Everyone was, without a single exception. Meryl Streep owned the role, and I loved Julia Roberts too. Benedict did a great job, portraying that bumbling young man. TDA (tear duct action) in the very first scene he had! I squeed a little bit on the inside. Don't you just wanna hug Little Charles and tell him everything's gonna work out?

Last edited by TeeJay (March 9, 2014 7:01 pm)

March 9, 2014 7:04 pm  #128

He is a wonderful character.
Sorry you didn't love the film as much as I did.

March 9, 2014 7:11 pm  #129

Hey, no need to apologize. It's not like I hated the movie. I was thoroughly entertained, and I had a few "holy crap" moments. It was intense and I'm glad I went to see it. But it's not a movie I'm gonna be singing praise about.

March 9, 2014 7:31 pm  #130

Whereas I can't wait for the DVD to arrive!

March 19, 2014 9:34 pm  #131

I watched it yesterday and was quite blown away by the performances. The story as such is not really new but I loved the acting, especially Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Chris Cooper and Benedict who was absolutely lovely as the shy, awkward guy trying to build a life. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 19, 2014 9:37 pm  #132

It was totally new to me and I just love Benedict's character.

March 19, 2014 9:55 pm  #133

I don't always enjoy watching Julia Roberts to be honest, but I think I'll have to see this movie - I've seen a clip of Ben in it, and thought he was great (same with Chris Cooper), but apparantly his part is tiny?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 19, 2014 9:56 pm  #134

Doesn't matter.
Still a great film.

March 19, 2014 9:59 pm  #135

Yes - it sounds good; I was just saying it's a shame he didn't even have a bigger role as his character seems great. I'll still watch the film though - I liked the sound of it even before I knew Ben was in it

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 19, 2014 10:02 pm  #136

Yes, I would have loved to see more of him. But his scenes are memorable and the song is just lovely. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 19, 2014 10:13 pm  #137

I love the song! Tugs at the heart strings

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 19, 2014 10:28 pm  #138

I love his song Sssssssooooooo much.

I'm clueing for looks

March 20, 2014 3:45 am  #139

Oh god Julia Roberts was brilliant in this film. It's basically her and Meryl Streep carrying the whole thing. Juliette Lewis was a joy also.

It's from a play and is therefore a 'thinking person's' film, and it's not at all uplifting but definitely worth viewing. Brilliant performances from everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 20, 2014 8:31 am  #140

Wholocked wrote:

Oh god Julia Roberts was brilliant in this film. It's basically her and Meryl Streep carrying the whole thing.

Agreed, I was absolutely taken by Julia Roberts' performance (Meryl Streep is always brilliant anyway). I've never seen her act so well I think. Made me see her with new eyes.
And of course I loved seeing Benedict and I loved him singing and playing the piano. Though I was a little uncomfortable with his part. But to be fair, this whole film left me with really conflicted feelings, I left the cinema somewhat subdued, which of course was the whole intention of this story.
I don't know if I could rewatch it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

Board footera