BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2012 9:53 am  #1

PIPE - SLIPPERS - BED

Sherlock: Mark Gatiss reveals the three words that will define the new series - maybe

"Pipe," "Slippers" and "Bed" are the three words that will define the new episodes, according to a Tweet sent by Gatiss this morning. He was on his way to the Edinburgh International Television Festival where he and fellow Sherlock co-creator Steven Moffat are due to give a Masterclass in the show and also to reveal the key words relating to each of the three episodes in the new series.

The duo explained series two through the words "Woman," "Hound" and "Fall" - references to the detective's female nemesis Irene Adler, the Hounds of Baskerville and Sherlock's descent into public disgrace (and subsequent leap from a rooftop). Fans were expecting similarly serious themes to be unveiled today but following Gatiss's tweet can presumably look forward to three episodes in which the detective lounges around the flat smoking, before getting an early night....

Hmm, I need to think about these.
The secret is ... NEVER assume the obvious but NEVER make it too clever either.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 9:57 am  #2

Re: PIPE - SLIPPERS - BED

That's just their sense of humour, isn't it? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2012 9:59 am  #3

Also remember we are probably talking "Empty House" adaptation for one of these.
(which others will make up this series?)

Are they in order?
In which case Pipe relates to Empty House.

Also people seem to get tied up about being tricked. However, Moftiss do NOT trick you. Their words ring true ONCE you solve the puzzle.
That is not tricking, that is simply twisting words.

Moftiss have not & will not lie.
They do not need to.

And lying is naughty.
And boring.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 10:01 am  #4

SusiGo wrote:

That's just their sense of humour, isn't it? 

"Wit" is probably more suitable, but humour will do.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 10:30 am  #5

Good point, Kazza. And how they love to outwit their audience. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 24, 2012 10:34 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2012 10:41 am  #6

That's a joke! It's Mark Gatiss we are talking about!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 24, 2012 10:42 am  #7

Let's wait which words they'll be revealing this afternoon. 

August 24, 2012 12:08 pm  #8

Ivy wrote:

Joke ?
Why?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 12:13 pm  #9

kazza474 wrote:

Ivy wrote:

Joke ?
Why?

"It's Mark Gatiss we are talking about!"

And even if he and Steven will repeat this words in Edinburgh today, I learnt not to trust them anymore, doesn't mean that I don't love them with all my heart! Well, Mark more than Steven to be honest, but still.

----------

August 24, 2012 12:23 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

Let's wait which words they'll be revealing this afternoon. 

Um, they WERE the words we were waiting for from Mark.
I don't think there will be anymore.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 12:26 pm  #11

PIPE  -  SLIPPERS  -  BED
will be as revealing for series 3 as the following for

series 1 :
PHONE  -  LOTUS  -  SHOES

and

series 2:
COAT  -  UMQRA  -  TEA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 24, 2012 12:26 pm  #12

Ivy wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Ivy wrote:

Joke ?
Why?

"It's Mark Gatiss we are talking about!"

And even if he and Steven will repeat this words in Edinburgh today, I learnt not to trust them anymore, doesn't mean that I don't love them with all my heart! Well, Mark more than Steven to be honest, but still.

What is NOT to trust?
They haven't spoken anything 'untrustworthy' before.

This is what I mean; you all expect lies; you all expect something 'more'.
These ARE the words.

Like before, you need to understand the words; which usually won;t happen till AFTER you dee the next instalment of Sherlock.

They won't LIE.
It is just that they give very obscure hints; but they have ALWAYS been relevant hints in the long run.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 12:35 pm  #13

OMG, I meant the "trust" comment playfully!

I don't expect something more, I'm waiting for the moment when it's on TV next year. That's it. Since I haven't read the Doyle books, I can't "deduce" the 3 words anyway.

----------

August 24, 2012 12:40 pm  #14

Ivy wrote:

I don't expect something more, I'm waiting for the moment when it's on TV next year. That's it. Since I haven't read the Doyle books, I can't "deduce" the 3 words anyway.

Plenty of time to either read them (best option) or at LEAST read the summaries in Wiki.
Come on, the creators "Moftiss" adore these books; why not read them yourself & start to understand WHY we love the canon!?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 24, 2012 1:08 pm  #15

I never expected or suspected any lies. Moftiss enjoy making people think and deduce and develop theories based on their hints. There'd be no fun if it was too obvious. No reason to get worked up. 

August 25, 2012 3:03 pm  #16

kazza474 wrote:

Ivy wrote:

Plenty of time to either read them (best option) or at LEAST read the summaries in Wiki.
Come on, the creators "Moftiss" adore these books; why not read them yourself & start to understand WHY we love the canon!?

*LOL*  We seem to be talking at cross purposes. Whatever I'm trying to say, you understand something else. Do people call that lost in translation? Because I never said I don't understand why you like the canon, nor do I refuse to read them. I'll be happy with any book they will chose, my main focus is a bit more on the solution of the fake death. I just tried to make a playful comment about Marks tweet and I even was right, Mark did made a joke. When Steven says the 3 words will announce in Edinburgh, then not a minute sooner.

I hope we'll better with time.

----------

August 25, 2012 9:13 pm  #17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 25, 2012 9:34 pm  #18

It was just Mark Gatiss' sense of humour to post the above words before the real ones were revealed during the Sherlock Master Class. 

August 25, 2012 10:07 pm  #19

Ah, that makes sense. I was hoping they'd spiff up The Noble Bachelor in the second episode. It's never been one of my favourites, but I'm sure they'd do something good with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 25, 2012 11:14 pm  #20

lol, guys and girls, this is probably the only time ever you will have ever seen our Kazza fooled!!

(and I lived to see it. Let's see if I continue to live after this post!)

Board footera