BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2012 3:29 pm  #1

HOLMES 2

I haven't got a clue where to post this! So I'm putting it here. I've been researching away and have found this little gem.

HOLMES 2 (Home Office Large Major Enquiry System) is an IT system used by the UK police for investigation of major incidents such as serial murders, multi-million pound frauds and disaster management. The name of the system is a backronym for the fictional private detective Sherlock Holmes.

More information can be found here:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOLMES_2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 22, 2012 3:56 pm  #2

Re: HOLMES 2

Reading your post I remember that term from my Peter James translations. He's very accurate about police work and mentions it sometimes. I didn't get it when I translated his latest novel but then my Sherlock fever wasn't burning so hot at the time. A very appropriate gesture to give the system this name (although he'd have stored everything in his brain).

Last edited by SusiGo (August 22, 2012 3:58 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2012 1:28 pm  #3

There's another one called Watson did you know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_%28computer%29

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 29, 2012 5:09 pm  #4

I didn't! Now is there also one called Moriarty?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera