BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2012 5:36 pm  #1

Moftiss Copenhagen Interview

Can't stop thinking about what Mark said, when they were discussing Moriarty suicide theories.  He suggested that he really did commit suicide and suggested that he was a suicide bomber.  Interesting, because Osama bin Laden never strapped on a bomb vest, he controlled and manipulated others into doing it.

And the cabbie said "...but you're only a man, and they are so much more."

Was Moriarty just a pawn of a much larger network?  Or was the man on the roof not really Moriarty at all?

That's all I have so far, but thought I would throw it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

August 19, 2012 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Moftiss Copenhagen Interview

I think I know from ACD's "The Empty House" there must be at least a second guy who worked together (?) with Moriarty.
But there are people in this forum who know much more about the canon, so... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 19, 2012 6:18 pm  #3

Pretty much all you need to (and all there is to know) about Moriarty is in The Final Problem. Sherlock describes him as being at the center of a web of crime, always pulling the strings but leaving no trace of his involvement in any act of crime he orchestrates. Holmes spends months pulling on these threads to gather enough evidence to bring down Moriarty, which leads to The Final Problem. Moriarty is at the center of a criminal network, with Colonel Morran as his right hand man (The Empty House).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

August 19, 2012 6:28 pm  #4

Oh yeesss............ I forgot the SPIDER Sherlock talked about. I really have to watch the 6 episodes another time. Too much empty corners in my mind palace.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 19, 2012 7:25 pm  #5

My point is that the spider would not be the suicide bomber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

August 19, 2012 8:24 pm  #6

Not that he WAS a suicide bomber, rather that he had the psychological makeup of a suicide bomber i.e. he was prepared to kill himself without a second thought if necessary. Osama Bin Laden did not have the psychological makeup of a suicide bomber but he knew how to manipulate those who did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 19, 2012 8:38 pm  #7

Davina-  Yes, good call.   

August 20, 2012 2:45 am  #8

Phewww, thank heavens for Davina. I was reading through this shaking my head "That's not what was said".

Yes, all that was meant was that he was of a similar mindset. The value of ; life is lost on Moriarty. He only sees its value as being another commodity to make deals with, another object to be used as bait, another possession to be thrown away at will. This is how a suicide bomber and more importantly those who control the suicide bombers think.

There's no hint that Moriarty was not at the top of food chain in his organisation. He was the spider alright.

See how misreading something or putting the wrong meaning to something sparks off thinking along the wrong tangent? There's heaps of things like this eg "I prefer to text". But I will leave those for another time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 7, 2012 12:06 pm  #9

You have me intrigued now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera