BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2012 3:44 pm  #1

Mention of Sherlock and Ben in a play

I was listening to a play on BBC Radio 4 earlier today called Beauty in Britain. Basically about a care worker of African origin whose mother comes to visit her in the Midlands. The mother says she wants them to go on a trip to London so she can go to see, 'Where Benedict Cumberbatch lives' and also the flat from 'Sherlock'. I am going to try to listen to the whole play on I player a bit later and will post any further references. it all caught me a bit by surprise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 17, 2012 6:22 pm  #2

Re: Mention of Sherlock and Ben in a play

Sounds good.  . So he's become a London sight already.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 18, 2012 2:47 am  #3

Hi Susi,

*cough*

Sherlock Holmes has been a tourist attraction for many decades now (and not just in London!).

August 18, 2012 9:16 am  #4

Yes, I know, but I was thinking of "where Benedict Cumberbatch lives" 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 18, 2012 11:14 am  #5

I've just listened to the play the whole way through. I didn't realise it is a series. Very funny. Lots of references to Benedict and Sherlock in it.

The funniest one was after the mother becomes an unintentional celebrity and receives a phone call asking her to appear on a TV programme.

She asks, ' Would I be discussing the Sunday papers after Benedict or before him? Or can we be on the sofa together?'

Cannot think of anyone else who would love to be in the same position...can you?

Last edited by Davina (August 18, 2012 11:15 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 18, 2012 12:06 pm  #6

Me? On a sofa with him? Is that a rhetoric question? 

August 19, 2012 11:07 pm  #7

How great :D  I love those little references to Benedict (not that we would get any in Germany - he's not that well known) and Sherlock.
So is this series good?

Nice to know that he has the status of that kind of celebrity now. 

August 20, 2012 6:23 am  #8

I hadn't listened to it before, even though this is series 3, but I shall try and catch it again as this one was really good. I love Beauty's Zimbabwean accent.

Board footera