BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2013 5:46 pm  #21

Re: Stuart - A Life Backwards

Wholocked wrote:

Definitely watch again with subtitles. I should go watch it again

I have none on the DVD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 9, 2013 9:05 am  #22

To get English sub-titles you would have to watch it on YouTube. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 9, 2013 9:09 am  #23

Right. Thanks. I will have a look. Strange that there are none of the DVD.

Last edited by gently69 (December 9, 2013 9:10 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 24, 2014 11:38 pm  #24

I've just watched this movie for the first time on YouTube.
Very sad, That poor boy. Made me cry. But funny bits too.
Brilliantly acted by Benedict and Tom.

March 17, 2014 12:16 am  #25

Has anyone else read the book?  Finished it today. Tears running down my face for the last few chapters.  Heartbroken.   Haven't watched the movie yet but looking forward to seeing the performances by Ben and Tom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 17, 2014 6:55 am  #26

Oh, I see I actually never came back here to say my parents loved the DVD I left them and it turns out they'd read the book, which I didn't know existed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 17, 2014 4:57 pm  #27

I read the book after having seen the film (I should send Benedict a bill - quite a lot of money spent on books because of his films!) and found it fascinating. 

March 17, 2014 4:59 pm  #28

So did I because I wanted to understand all the things Tom Hardy said in the film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 17, 2014 11:11 pm  #29

As someone who has neither read the book nor seen the film, but has both at her disposal, would you recommend I first read the book, or first watch the movie?

--------------------------------------------
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

March 18, 2014 7:20 am  #30

I couldn't do this as I didn't even know there was a book...
But I would always recommend reading the book first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 18, 2014 11:43 am  #31

Yea.  When you have a choice always go for the book first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 8, 2014 9:34 pm  #32

All this talk about the book or the movie made me look into it, and it sounded quite intriguing, so I've purchased both -- and also sampled both in the meantime. I read the book first, which was actually a really good thing, because I think it adds a lot more depth to the movie and the characters. Especially at the end, because the book goes into more detail there and makes it all the more tragic.

The movie is very close to the book, which is not surprising since both were written by Alexander Masters, the man that Benedict is portraying in the movie. I found the movie also compresses the book very well and brings out the essentials without losing the connection to the characters or to Stuart's and Alexander's story.

However, it's not your average easy-going feel-good movie. I felt the book was hard to read sometimes, because it's a little disjointed in places, a little chaotic, just like Stuart himself. I wouldn't call it a page-turner, it just doesn't flow like a novel in the classic sense. I did enjoy reading it, and I enjoyed the movie a lot as well. But, you have to admit that they're a bit... strange. Eccentric, even. In a good way.

Both Benedict and Tom were great, especially Tom. There's also a nice interview bonus in the DVD extras, including a very rambly Benedict interview (might have been one of the YouTube vids on the previous page that don't work anymore). So, yeah, I enjoyed "Stuart" quite a lot.

May 17, 2014 9:29 pm  #33

I just found this and watched it. I am a little speechless right now. Wow. Benedict has surely caused me to watch some good films I'd never have watched if not for him... and I'm glad I did watch it.

The actor who played Stuart did a fine job with him, he became likable and you started to really care for someone you'd usually just pass by on the street and Ben's character was great at helping that along as well.

I can't help but think about how different people turn out after a life like his, all that abuse... it was a really interesting look into it. It's something that always scare me... I am probably being too honest when I say this, but I always wonder how I didn't turn into someone like Stuart. 

I am so happy I watched this, it was a fantastic film I feel. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 17, 2014 9:31 pm  #34

One of my faves.

May 17, 2014 9:38 pm  #35

Also liked this film though I certainly didn't understand even half of it.

(Tony Hadley)

May 17, 2014 9:40 pm  #36

I warned my parents about the mumbling as they really moan about that in films...
But it transpired that they'd both read the book and so managed fine with it!

May 17, 2014 9:47 pm  #37

I read the book afterwards and got several enlightenments (right word?) about the plot.

(Tony Hadley)

May 17, 2014 10:02 pm  #38

Surprisingly with my bad ears I could actually make sense of the mumbling. To be fair I had earphones on... I actually watched it without subtitles (because it only offered Danish and I hate Danish subtitles) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 21, 2014 11:29 am  #39

Tom Hardy plays Stuart. Fantastic job done too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2014 1:40 pm  #40

Davina wrote:

Tom Hardy plays Stuart. Fantastic job done too.

Yesterday, I read this interesting Esquire cover story on Tom Hardy---the only film I remember seeing him in is TTSS.  The article touches on the difficulties of a young, unusual actor finding roles in film: 

http://www.esquire.com/features/tom-hardy-interview-photos-0514

The film environment for actors in their 30s sounds pretty grim now---so many fine, young actors, so few worthy roles

Board footera