BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2012 8:34 pm  #1

Stuart - A Life Backwards

I just watched the film with my daughter and we were very impressed with the performances of Benedict and especially Tom Hardy who gives a brilliant Stuart. The only problem is that the DVD has no subtitles whatsoever and Tom is really hard to understand. We missed many important things. I looked on Youtube for subtitles but couldn't find anything. So I'll have to read to book and watch the film again, I suppose. BTW, Ben's wonderful as ever but his clothes are what WAYWB's just waiting for  .

The film tells the story of the Cambridge author and homeless worker Alexander Masters who on a campaign to free two social workers meets alcoholic ex-prisoner Stuart Shorter. The very different men become friends and Alexander decides to write a book about Stuart who convinces him that it would be more interesting to tell the story backwards. Alexander learns more and more about Stuart's life that has been shaped by violence, abuse and illness. In the beginning we wince with him at Stuart's drinking, disorderly behaviour and cooking attempts but as their friendship grows Alexander himself changes as well. A film not to be missed.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 15, 2012 10:55 pm  #2

Re: Stuart - A Life Backwards

Indeed, an intriguing film. The trailer is at

And you can order the book the film is based on at Amazon:

"A unique biography of a homeless man and a complete portrait of the hidden underclass.

‘So here it is, my attempt at the story of Stuart Shorter, thief, hostage taker, psycho and sociopath street raconteur, my spy on how the British chaotic underclass spend their troubled days at the beginning of this century: a man with an important life. I wish I could have presented it to Stuart before he stepped in front of the 11.15 train from London to Kings Lynn.’

Stuart Shorter’s brief life was one of turmoil and chaos. In this remarkable book, a masterful act of biographical restoration, Alexander Masters retraces Stuart’s troubled journey. Stuart was homeless, with many of the problems this sub-section of English society display; alcoholism, drug-addiction, crime, violence. Scattered with glimpses of the author’s friendship with Stuart in the years before his death, Masters gives us Stuart’s life in reverse, tracing his route backwards through the post-office heists and attempts at suicide and the spells inside many of this country’s prisons, on back to a troubled time at school and learning difficulties and a violent childhood that acted like a springboard into the trouble that was to follow him all his life.

This extraordinary book is a glimpse at the underbelly of English society, a world largely hidden from our lives. Funny, despairing, uplifting, brilliantly-written, it is one of the most original biographies of recent years."

Last edited by The Doctor (October 11, 2012 4:30 am)

August 16, 2012 3:06 am  #3

A lovely interview with Ben & Tom (later) about this film.
And yes, it was made pre-lisp correction times, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 16, 2012 6:55 am  #4

Thanks, Kazza, what a wonderful interview. I love his intelligent, sensitive way of talking about his work and how he constantly touches his face (which seems to be a quirk often commented upon).

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 7, 2012 4:43 pm  #5

I think my favourite film of his.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 12:54 am  #6

Such a good movie, yeah. Tom was hard to understand, but what a character! Great acting from both. But Tom's part was just nuts.

kazza474 wrote:

And yes, it was made pre-lisp correction times, lol.

Oh wait, did he actually correct it? I assumed he just learned to "turn it off" when he's acting but still spoke with it when he didn't have to think about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 8, 2012 7:28 am  #7

I didn't even know he had a lisp!
I actually thought he outshone Benedict in this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 7:36 am  #8

October 8, 2012 7:40 am  #9

Oh heck sorry, we  were talking about Benedict having a lip?
I have heard this mentioned before.

October 8, 2012 7:50 am  #10

Yes.
I think Tom was great in it but then he had a very extrovert part in which he could give it everything. Alexander is a much more restrained person, an observer of Tom's eccentric and at the same time moving behaviour. But it's wonderful to see how he gives up his reservations and becomes Stuart's true friend.

October 8, 2012 8:31 am  #11

Buh, I just checked on Amazon... without any subtitles again. Will order anyway, hopefully not so much mumbling there. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 9, 2012 12:12 am  #12

Well, mumbling was in character. I didn't have any trouble understanding him but English is my first language so that would help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 13, 2013 8:57 am  #13

I don't know if people are aware this 2007 BBC production is now available in HBOgo, if you are an HBO subscriber. Perhaps there are other onlline video providers?  They have subtitles and I needed them very much.  I don't know if you can still get it On Demand, or not.

June 1, 2013 11:44 pm  #14

Just watched this one and even though I encountered the same problem (UK import DVD with no subtitles --I was hoping for the hard-of-hearing ones but no luck-- and I understood Benedict pretty well but Tom was a nightmare to understand...), it was absolutely delicious, it both made me smile and broke my heart, knowing it's a true story and all. Stuart's really had a difficult life, poor guy.

I think both Tom and Benedict were perfect in their respective parts and they complete each other so well. Alexander makes Stuart realise he is a better person than he thinks (Stuart didn't even understand why would Alexander consider him as a friend) and Alexander seemed to be your very shy kind of guy, tight-ass somehow and Stuart really changes him and makes him see life differently.

Lovely movie!

Just like old times...

November 25, 2013 2:45 pm  #15

I have just watched this again. It is available in 7 parts on YouTube with English subtitles (all apart from part 6 can be viewed on mobile devices). Brilliant acting around. I cried. At this time of year in the a northern hemisphere (I.e. Winter) let us not forget the homeless & their often tragic histories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 25, 2013 4:44 pm  #16

I think this remains my favourite film of Benedict's.

Last edited by besleybean (November 25, 2013 4:45 pm)

December 6, 2013 9:11 pm  #17

Just watched the film. Hard stuff. I could hardly understand Tom Hardy but I think his acting was brilliant. Ok... Benedict was good either.
I think I'll take the advice and use the script when next time watching.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 9:22 pm  #18

It's a beautiful film. I can understand how you would struggle with Tom's lines. His character is drunk most of the time Definitely watch again with subtitles. I should go watch it again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 8, 2013 10:47 am  #19

His character sounds drunk but it is his character's medical condition (trying to avoid spoilers) that causes him to slur his words most of the time. I agree that for a non-native speaker it would be hard to understand him (perhaps even for some native speakers). This is a film that has stayed with me...I'm thinking that Tom must have drawn on some of his own personal experience for this role.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 8, 2013 11:03 am  #20

It remains my favourite of Benedict's film.
I left it with my parents for them to watch..
But I seriously warned them about the dialogue.
Dad doesn't hear great anyway and Mum always moans about people muttering in films!
I have no idea about Tom's background.

Board footera