BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2012 11:58 pm  #1

Holy Crap! The Mirror, latest CB quotes

And this short before bed.... Congrats to me. 

http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?id=1259951/

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 14, 2012 12:31 am  #2

Re: Holy Crap! The Mirror, latest CB quotes

Yeah..but it's The Mirror... so very very large grain of salt. It just doesn't sound like something he would say, you know? It's so..derogatory in nature. I can't see Mr. Polite and Gentle saying anything like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

August 14, 2012 1:09 am  #3

I can. He's mentioned several times that he finds some of the comments he receives offensive and/or hurtful. He generally takes it well but he's been kinda ambushed with it in the past year. I can't see him making a huge issue out of it, but I was rather wondering when he'd get tired of all the bullshit.

But yes, ALL articles should be taken with a grain of salt. They pick and choose their quote and create their own context. Who knows what he actually said, to whom, following what question/statement.

Last edited by Wholocked (August 14, 2012 1:10 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 14, 2012 1:29 am  #4

Meh...I can imagine him saying that kind of thing, yes. But I don't think he'll move to America. And even if he does...so what? He's not saying he won't accept roles here in England. Why does it matter where he lives?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 14, 2012 2:32 am  #5

The Daily Mail Online posted an interview with BC about how he's sick of 'posh bashing', that is:

"He's got a posh name, a posh education and plays the part of posh characters.
That makes Benedict Cumberbatch a prime candidate for ‘posh-bashing’."

"‘All the posh-bashing that goes on. I wasn’t born into land or titles, or new money, or an oil rig.’
The 36-year-old added he was often ‘castigated as a moaning, rich, public-school b*****d, complaining about only getting posh roles’.
‘It’s just so predictable, so domestic, and so dumb. It makes me think I want to go to America.’"

In what must be the ultimate case of 'the grass is always greener', does BC really think Americans are any different? Instead of "posh" I believe we call it "elitism" - for example, politicians (usually Democrats) are often 'put down' for having attended elite, Ivy League schools.

As much as legions of American BBC Sherlock fans would love for you to move here, I fear you wouldn't find things much different - in fact along with similar 'posh bashing' is an enormous amount of hypocrisy that coincides with it: continuing my example above, the same politician that 'calls out' another politician for being an 'elitist' often went to the same Ivy League school.

So it goes...

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 14, 2012 2:32 am  #6

Oh dear, did Martin make that Hogwart's joke once too often?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

August 14, 2012 2:44 am  #7

We would make him very welcome in Michigan.

August 14, 2012 6:33 am  #8

I think he should move to Australia and commute.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 14, 2012 6:34 am  #9

There's a thread on this also here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1596

August 14, 2012 6:39 am  #10

I can understand that he feels constrained by these prejudices about his name, upbringing, etc. and that he wishes to have a wider choice of roles. On the other hand there aren't so many really good and demanding roles in Hollywood and he seems to be quite ambitious in choosing his work. I can't imagine him doing only blockbusters in the future when he has played characters  like van Gogh, Sherlock and Hawking to name only a few. Maybe there'll be a balance between big American and "smaller" European movies. So let your tears dry, Mattlocked, nothing's lost so far. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 14, 2012 7:49 am  #11

I know that you can't believe everything what's in the newspapers.
But it was late, I was tired ... well, you know... 
And then I read this "I think about going to the US" and thought "See, I knew it! All for success." And yes, normally it doesn't matter where one lives, but somehow I was thinking soon he will be "lost" in those big Hollywood productions. And no Sherlock anymore, etc. .....
But I feel a bit different this morning, so no problem guys! 

August 14, 2012 9:17 am  #12

I absolutely understand you as I got a bit depressed after reading this stuff about "power" and "business models" and so on. Let's just wait what happens. He won't be the next Pitt, Clooney or whatever, because I'm sure he knows that he's unique. He doesn't have to play superheroes to be successful … although, there are these skinny suits, let me think again 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 14, 2012 9:33 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 14, 2012 11:53 am  #13

What he says is not so much derogatory as true.  Invited snobbery is alive and kicking in the UK. Trying to put down those who are successful in any walk of life is something of a national pastime. He may think that moving to the US may provide more anonymity combined with pretty much all English people sound posh anyway. The US is typically viewed here in the UK as a class-less society. His complaint seems to be that people judge his work on who he is, or at least with his background the stereotypical view of who he is, rather than him being judged upon the quality of his work. He may also feel that the roles he is being offered here are being limited by his upbringing etc. and that this will be less of a problem in the US.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 14, 2012 12:28 pm  #14

That's very interesting, Davina, because in Germany we don't have this sort of class system anymore. Of course people are assessed based on their education and career but not in such a strict way as it seems to be in Britain. E.g. a play like "Pygmalion" wouldn't work so well in Germany because you cannot really classify people based on the way they speak.

Many years ago I came upon a phenomenon called Branagh bashing when doing research for my (never finished) thesis on the films of "Henry V". Kenneth Branagh was worshipped by the critics being from a Northern Irish working people background and having successfully made it to the London stages. However, as soon as he started his own theatrical company with Prince Charles as a patron he was attacked - even by literary critics and scholars - in a quite brutal way. I was shocked at the hatred with which they diminished his achievements in texts disguised as serious literary studies. They didn't want to accept that he had become a "traitor" to the principles they associated with the working class and wished him instead to become a director like e. g. Mike Leigh.

In Benedict's case it's different but it seems to be difficult to overcome the rules and categories set up by these old class traditions. Let's hope that Ben is above these things.

August 15, 2012 8:31 am  #15

I hope this is the right thread for this and that it's not yet been posted elsewhere, but I just found and watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFT3awZrL3k

And don't really know what to think about it. I'm neither English nor American, so I'm probably not able to judge this. 

But what I do know is that what's happening to Benedict now because of these few lines is really horrible and totally exaggerated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

August 15, 2012 8:55 am  #16

I really should stop sleeping.
some hours in bed and I missed so much that it's difficult to follow now.
I see that I was "trapped" by press like so many other people. When I read the WHOLE interview, things seemed different to me.
I confess that I can really be naive sometimes. I think I really have to grow up one day. 

One sentence (among some others) I don't really understand, can someone translate/explain this tiny bit for me?
"I’ve punched well above my weight this year. And that remains very much a secret … "

August 15, 2012 9:15 am  #17

From http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/290900.html:

Meaning
Competing against someone who you are no match for.
Origin
The different classes of contestants in boxing matches are distinguish by the weight of the competing boxers - heavyweight, middleweight, lightweight, flyweight etc. The sport is regulated so that only boxers of the same weight fight each other. Someone from a lighter weight wouldn't be expected to have much chance if 'punching above his weight' against a heavier fighter.

The term is often used figuratively in situations where someone finds themselves competing outside their usual class; for example, the Irish comedian Graham Norton described that, since becoming well-known, he was able to attract better-looking partners than previously and that he was 'punching above my weight' when it comes to relationships.

Although I'm not quite sure about the "secret" thing. Our Brits should be able to explain that, I guess.

August 15, 2012 10:59 pm  #18

I thought he refereed to 'no one but him realising he is punching well above his weight'.. kinda an attempt at humbleness, so to speak.

August 16, 2012 8:21 am  #19

Wholocked wrote:

I think he should move to Australia and commute.

I second that emotion. All those in favour, say aye, motion carried, citizenship granted,plane ticket on the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 20, 2012 11:26 am  #20

"Punching well above his weight" is most commonly used when referring to relationships, which I believe if you read the text again, is what he was referring to. It is slap bang in the middle of a relationships discussion, hence why there is a secret.
If other fans read it as you guys have done, it will remain a secret also, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera