BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2012 11:21 pm  #21

Re: Stop Calling Sherlock a Sociopath! Thanks, a Psychologist.

Then it means the same.

In the UK, do you use "curb" as in "curb your enthusiasm"?

And just as a note, we call them Realtors or real estate agents.

Sorry to get so off-topic.

Last edited by veecee (August 14, 2012 11:23 pm)

December 16, 2012 4:17 pm  #22

I just found a blog by the author referred to in the original post, Maria Konnikova. It's published in the journal Scientific American. For anyone interested in reading the articles about Sherlock Holmes that are posted there, here's the link:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2011/11/08/lessons-from-sherlock-holmes-preconceptions-and-the-blunting-of-imagination/

At the bottom of the article is a list of what I think are all the blog entries.  The link above is not to the first entry but rather to a later one, because this way all the other posts in the series are available as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

February 7, 2013 1:58 am  #23

From Episode 1, to me, it has been obvious that Sherlock (the "I prefer to text" Sherlock of the present series) cannot be a sociopath.  He acts to protect John Watson when he realizes John shot the cabbie and then, when he approaches him, asks if he is alright.  Sociopaths don't ask if anyone is alright. Not out of concern for them. His concern was apparent.

I venture to say we can go back in that same episode, when we see Sherlock and Molly for the first time and she is trying to ask him for a date.  He is Sherlock, he knows what is going on.  He is easily pretending to misunderstand her so she can save face.  And if he is a bit cruel, he'll give her good reason not to crush on him.  Doesn't work, but nice try, anyway.

Oddly, though, I think Sherlock wants everyone to believe this of him.  I think he might want to believe it of himself.  I don't think it's for the same reason as Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, at least not entirely.  I think it was the only way he survived his childhood.

Now, Mycroft, you can sell me him as a sociopath.

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (February 7, 2013 1:59 am)

May 20, 2013 6:21 am  #24

Go away!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2013 1:21 pm  #25

High quality shoes?

Made from our members skin?

I wonder whose...

I might be in!

-m0r the poet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2013 8:23 pm  #26

He's a poet!
And don't he know it!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera